Goodbye Megane. Hello Picasso! But what is the radio?

FM receiver discussion
John Faulkner, Skegness

Goodbye Megane. Hello Picasso! But what is the radio?

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 27 Dec 2014 23:33

For some time now I have been aware of the ever increasing amounts of rust on the chassis of my nine year old Renault Megane. More recently I have been aware of a metallic creaking in the driver's side foot well. This has gradually deteriorated into a hole and the general condition of the car is not good and is approaching that 'beyond economical repair' point. A lot of work needs doing to the steering and the suspension, plus various other parts on the car I suspect the sea is to blame for the corrosion, but I am not in a position to waste money on a car which has now seen better days. It has served me well, however, and has been almost faultless until now. I have had this from new and have put 140,000 miles on the clock. The engine still purrs along nicely. So, reluctantly, I have decided to say goodbye to what has become something of a trusty and reliable friend. (Do people in other European countries attached to their cars?)

We will probably be changing the car soon and have decided on a possible model, but silly me did not try out any of the radios first. Well, it's not the most important part of the car, is it. Is it? OK, that was a little short-sighted on my part. As I DXer I should have taken the radio for a test drive first and then looked at the car.

So, I wondered if anybody knows anything about the radio in a Citroen C4 Grand Picasso. A search on Ebay suggests that the radio used in recent models of the Grand Picasso include a "96646223XT", a "96599994" and variants of an RD4XXXX. I have tried Googling for these numbers, also using "Pioneer" and "Blaupunkt" in the searches, but nothing conclusive comes up.

More to the point, does anybody have any idea if Citroen car radios have the same kind of adaptive IF filtering as those with SHARX and Digiceiver, etc? The problem is, the radio is concealed and the controls are on a large touch screen. There is no visible sign of a radio anywhere!

Oh - I know the radio has something called "DAB Digital Radio", lol. Past knowledge and experience has shown that most radios with DAB have very poor analogue band 2 performance.

Thanks if anybody can help.

Alex Cator

Re: Goodbye Megane. Hello Picasso! But what is the radio?

Post by Alex Cator » 28 Dec 2014 22:36

I do not have the faintest who makes PSA Peugeot Citroën's car radios. They are quite sensitive, but the selectivity, but remember, this is the radio in a relative's Citroën Berlingo, was not the best. You would not be able to get 104.3 BBC Cymru from Llangollen, while in Skegness, because of 104.4 BBC Radio Norfolk in Great Massingham. I would recommend that you take the Blaupunkt Nashville out of your old Megane and put it into your Picasso, and replace the stock antenna with your home-brew quarter wave. Only thing is, I know many car manufacturers do this, but I'm not sure about Citroën, but they might cancel your warranty if you put your own audio equipment in their cars and replace theirs, because I know that the Ford warranty would go if I put a Pioneer Supertuner into my mum's Ford Fiesta Mk. 7. Ask your local Citroën dealer about the warranty and see if they mind about your radio in there. Are you more into wanting the warranty or a new radio?
Home: Sony ST-SB920 (modified), Sony XDR-S10HDiP, Onkyo T-4970, Ford 5000 RDS, horizontal Triax FM3
Mobile: Ford Fiesta (Style, 2013) and Ford Focus (2012) car radios
Portable: Tecsun PL-390, Grundig G5 (2 x 110kHz), Etón G8

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 29 Dec 2014 00:29

Thanks Alex. The radio in the Picasso that we looked at is hidden. There is no way I would remove that. It all works via computer a touch-screen display. I won't be able to try it out either because it's not in Skegness and I don't fancy calling into a garage just to try the radio ;) Hence me asking here.

I had a reply off-group which says the radio would be a Clarion and probably not an IF-adaptive version either. Oh well. I always knew that if we should change the car I would take out the more usual mobile rig of a leisure battery, laptop and the modified XDR. Or maybe the Elad. It would be nice to know how the stock radio works of course.

As for receiving Radio Cymru on 104.3 next to Norfolk 104.4, I can get that here all the time. It's the same with Wenvoe too. But that's thanks to the home setup. A car would be very different I am sure. The Nashville will probably become redundant for a while.

Alex Cator

Post by Alex Cator » 29 Dec 2014 17:43

Pretty much all of Ford's stereos are completely built-in nowadays. The Ford 6000 CD was the last seperate Ford stereo I have known to exist. It was in the Mk.2 and Mk.2.5 Focuses, the fourth generation Transits and the Mk. 4 Mondeos, but with the introduction of the new generations, they all have car-integrated stereos. Switching the dashboard display from kilometres to miles is now done on the stereo in the Fiesta Mk. 7. I doubt the dashboard display would work anymore with a Supertuner. Just to add a new radio, I think it would trash the car's functionality as well. Seems like Citroen are doing that too, and pretty much all car manufacturers are starting too, except Volkswagen!
Home: Sony ST-SB920 (modified), Sony XDR-S10HDiP, Onkyo T-4970, Ford 5000 RDS, horizontal Triax FM3
Mobile: Ford Fiesta (Style, 2013) and Ford Focus (2012) car radios
Portable: Tecsun PL-390, Grundig G5 (2 x 110kHz), Etón G8

zach_m

Post by zach_m » 05 Feb 2018 22:04

Sorry for bringing this old thread up. Just had a look on eBay for C4 Grande Picasso car stereo and surprisingly they have put DELPHI units in this model. So if it's Delphi, then again, NXP Semiconductors is the maker of the chip (tuner).

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 06 Feb 2018 02:53

Thanks Zach.

It would be excellent if these are the same units and they can be obtained and utilised for our hobby.

Sadly, I don't have that car radio anymore. In fact, I don't have that car. It went to Cornwall, along with my second marriage.

This thread should now be called, Goodbye Picasso, Hello 15 year old banger of a Ford Focus! It's actually a well-maintained car I bought for next to nothing last summer and it's a top of the range Ghia. I have never been impressed with the reception on FM or MW. As it happens, I swapped the radio for my Blaupunkt Nashville earlier today. It made not a sod of difference to the average FM and MW reception, so I can conclude that the antenna is probably the average component. Swapping to the Nashville did reveal one thing, however, that the sound system in this Focus is very capable indeed, so that's a bonus. With this being a Ghia model, I assume it has a higher end audio system. Perhaps I will change the antenna one day.

In the meantime, it would be interesting to get hold of a Delphi car radio and give it a try. One day hopefully.

zach_m

Post by zach_m » 06 Feb 2018 07:40

Hi John,

https://s14.postimg.org/u84pv01fj/2018_ ... enshot.png

I posted this screenshot in a different thread. You'll find on it NXP customers. Delphi is on top of the list. Of course, XDR tuner is obsolete and no longer available, so Delphi stereo has a newer tuner. Most of today's car stereo is manufactured as a multimedia receiver with a touch screen and sat nav included. This would be, however, very difficult to use at home.

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 06 Feb 2018 11:46

Yes, that's true. :(

Nick Gilly

Post by Nick Gilly » 06 Feb 2018 17:46

zach_m wrote:
06 Feb 2018 07:40
Hi John,

I posted this screenshot in a different thread. You'll find on it NXP customers. Delphi is on top of the list. Of course, XDR tuner is obsolete and no longer available, so Delphi stereo has a newer tuner. Most of today's car stereo is manufactured as a multimedia receiver with a touch screen and sat nav included. This would be, however, very difficult to use at home.
Interesting Zach. This confirms my thoughts that the RBRX Encore receiver may well have the same (or very similar) chipset to John's previous Citroen Picasso. I wonder if any 'domestic' tuners or radios include it?
Good DX.

Nick, Whitchurch, Hampshire.

BW Broadcast RBRX Encore, Kenwood L-1000T, Yamaha T-2, Denon TU-800L, Kenwood KT-1100SD (modified), Yamaha T-85, Sony XDR-F1HD tuners, horizontal Körner 9.2 beam (Antennenland version), Yaesu G-450C rotator

zach_m

Post by zach_m » 06 Feb 2018 19:48

Nick Gilly wrote:
06 Feb 2018 17:46
zach_m wrote:
06 Feb 2018 07:40
Hi John,

Interesting Zach. This confirms my thoughts that the RBRX Encore receiver may well have the same (or very similar) chipset to John's previous Citroen Picasso. I wonder if any 'domestic' tuners or radios include it?
Hi Nick,

As far as I know, NXP targeted mostly automotive industry. I haven't heard about Hi-Fi tuners (apart from Sony and BW Broadcast) using their chips, although it is possible that other companies use NXP chips in IC's.

I am fairly sure that BW RBRX Encore has an NXP tuner. It's a newer version, but I don't know which one is it. There were numerous tuners available in NXP catalogue when RBRX Encore was released.

Return to “Receivers”