Smooth Radio vs. Gold Network

Report newsworthy items here
PFM907

Smooth Radio vs. Gold Network

Post by PFM907 »

Throughout mediumwave.info I have read recently about plans to do some changes in the AM networks.
It was written that the tx.s Peterborough and Northampton should switch from Smooth Radio to Gold.

Especially on 1557 kHz this will be great fun in the future with Northampton carrying Gold and Smooth still to be broadcast on the same frequency from Southampton. What a mess. Even today, it is chaos with both stations giving an echo and interfering heavily into Taiwan during winter months at daytime reception around 13-15 UTC.

I really keep on wondering what is the use in letting Southhampton keep on running with Smooth and Northhampton carry GOLD. One of the two 1557 txs. is definitely useless so why not shutting him down completely.

Honestly. I do not quite understand this. As far as I remember, 10 or 15 years ago it was ONLY Gold on medium wave. But suddenly, GLOBAL decided to change some AM frequencies towards Smooth (which is such a boring format even on DAB - GOLD was perfect for AM). Am I wrong? There were years, where medium wave band was full of small GOLD services. Today, most of them carry Smooth right now. So in the future, this will be a turning backwards and one could expect there will be more Smooth tx.s either do the switch (back) to GOLD or being turned off.

pe1etr

Re: Smooth Radio vs. Gold Network

Post by pe1etr »

Southampton and Northampton are quite some distance apart :)

PFM907

Re: Smooth Radio vs. Gold Network

Post by PFM907 »

The process has now been made.
1557 carries Toto - Africa (Smooth) as well as news and Free - All right now (ID: "This is Gold"). RFA Mandarin is
audible in the back. I do, however, still not quite get it why they ever switched over from Gold to Smooth and now back.
I wonder if there will be more changes to this network...

Return to “News”