Would you log it?

General Discussion
John Faulkner, Skegness
Site Owner

Would you log it?

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness »

I have received a new country this morning. El Salvador. There is a BUT. Should I log it? I'm sure I've been here before with this very question not so long ago.

Ben Korbeeck in the Netherlands reported hearing Radio Elohim on 1630 from San Salvador. I checked my recording at that time and heard the same thing as in Ben's recording. BUT, I would never have been aware of this had it not been for Ben's post. I would certainly never have heard the ID - and this is the important bit, but I do hear it now I know what I am looking for.

It's that old dilemma. I could now log this, but I would feel slightly fraudulent by doing so, yet it's no different to somebody else posting a DX tip. Hmm. I would air on the side of logging it as 100%, but I would include thanks to Ben for his post in the logging.

How does this sit with YOU?
simbeav

Re: Would you log it?

Post by simbeav »

1. 100% I would. If I hear it I can log it.... now let's go and see if by some miracle I got it through the noise !

2. This is a personal opinion and another personal opinion is that it is entirely up to you what you log and what you don't log. I personally have never logged Greenland because I have never heard an ID, but I know I am being daft. I've definitely heard it. It can't be anything else, but it's a personal foible and I have nothing against other people logging it (and have no right to object to their opinions).
John Faulkner, Skegness
Site Owner

I think your response is the sensible response Simon, though I do understand there will be differences of opinion. Just as with those who don't consider DXing via an SDR receiver, or even with playing back recordings, to be real DXing. Each to their own.

The fact for me is that, if the station and the ID is definitely present, and I can hear that ID, as stated, no matter how weak it might be, then there's no question of it really being there on my receiver.

I do think it's a good idea to credit the originating logger. That's just common decency, in fact its probably essential to do this if you are DXing somebody else's SDR file. Credit yourself by all means as you have done the DXing, but do credit the owner of the originating file's and the location as I am sure they would like to know too.
pnoelw

Post by pnoelw »

Your antenna and radio received it. Your ears heard it and your brain reckoned it was indeed that rare dx. It's yours to log! Another dx'er pointed you in the right direction - then as you suggetsed, he should get credit in the log.

Taking the alternative to an extreme - you got a tip from a fellow dx'er but could only listen to the following night's recording and there it was! If you don't feel comfortable logging it now then you would never be able to log that station because someone else has heard it before. By extension, we'd have to ignore everyone else's logs and be pioneers on every id.

Working through someone else's SDR files - hmmm. Is the situation now reversed? His log but credited to you or your vicarious log? ;-)
Noel
Clacton-on-Sea
Perseus, Icom R8500, HF+ Discovery, SDRPlay RSP2, Uniden BCT15x, Tecsun PL880
Leo Bodnar mini-gps
John Faulkner, Skegness
Site Owner

Thanks for your views Noel.

Vicarious indeed, but we are all helping each other. To make more sense of this I would have to 'put the boot on the other foot'. Personally, it's not a problem for somebody else to DX my file. The credit is purely for geographical purposes, as opposed to getting somebody to DX for me. I don't see it quite that way but I can understand why some would think this.

This subject was debated in MWN some years ago and I am sure it has reared its head a few times over the years. I suppose there could be problems. You are effectively tuning the receiver with SDR files, not listening to audio recordings, so some degree of skill or knowledge is involved.

Great points.

I remember a few years ago I logged a rare Brazilian on medium wave. I only knew about this thanks to a DXer telling me about it. I checked my recording and there it was. He claimed the 'UK First' status as it had not been heard in the UK before, nor I think had it in Europe. Since I received the too, thanks to him, and I gave him credit, I claimed 'Joint UK First' with xx. He was not amused and words were exchanged. I thought about this and could see his point, but this did create a rift between us. Reversing the situation, I still wouldn't have had a problem letting somebody else share my good fortune. I think anybody can see this as I like to offer DX tips as and when I can.

The UK First thing is seen by some to be a little unnecessary and even ridiculous, but what's the harm in a little competition? I find that DXers who like to keep things to themselves to be ridiculous, but I do understand that it was their catch and so why not?

Can of worms opened! :lol:
Paul Crankshaw

Post by Paul Crankshaw »

Also heard at not quite the same time as the original spot. Logged with "Tnx Ben Korbeeck for spot". If you hear the station with your equipment I see no problem.
John Faulkner, Skegness
Site Owner

Thanks Paul.

I will do the same as soon as I am back on my old computer, where yesterday morning's recordings are stored. I am trying to pluck up the courage to record on the new machine from now on. I think things have settled down there now. (Famous last words!)
Jim (Bournemouth)

Post by Jim (Bournemouth) »

If you heard it, and you are categorically certain beyond reasonable doubt that you did, then log it.

It's no different to hearing a station and checking it via a webstream...

I had a case last summer when I thought I had a UKR station on Band 2. Someone elses ears (Thanks, Tim) verified that it was the station I thought it was, so I logged it with a hat-tip to Tim.

With regard to 'is DXing your own recorded SDR file real dx-ing?'... I think one has to be realistic with real-world issues such as work, family and childcare etc. We cant be at the radios all the time.. this year has been a little different for me (having done 3 days work since 20th March and I am now furloughed again!) but 2019 was poor with most openings happening while at work. "Time-shifting" my dxing was a god-send. A bit like Sky+!
Jim, Bournemouth, Dorset. IO90BR.

Elad FDM-S2, FDM S3, Perseus, Airspy HF+, SDRPlay, Funcube Dongle SDR Rx; 8-ele OP-DES for Band 2, 8-ele LFA 2m, 3 ele LFA for 6m, 10-40m fan dipole, VHF vert

John Faulkner, Skegness
Site Owner

Good point Jim. I've definitely been listening too much to the 'You CANNOT log that if you didn't catch it yourself, have a clear ID, location given, presenter's name and five minutes of detailed programme information given and heard live' lot. I'm sending off for a QSL.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

When I saw the thread title, I chanted "would you log it?" in the style of Bob The Builder's "Can We Fix It?".

My answer - "yes I would"! I had the same thought as Jim about identifying stations by comparing them to the webstream, which I've done before.
XHDATA D-808
Ford Fiesta Zetec 80 2016 car radio
John Faulkner, Skegness
Site Owner

Thank you Catherine.

Well, I did it ... I went and logged it! My first El Salvadorian medium wave catch! (I didn't want to miss that one!) Credit to Ben in the log too:

http://www.mwlist.org/mw_logmap.php?sor ... 3&band=ALL

Can we receive it? YES WE CAN! :lol:

Return to “Medium Wave & Long Wave”