Setting up the Perseus SDR for remote SDR / Network access.

General Discussion
John Faulkner, Skegness

Setting up the Perseus SDR for remote SDR / Network access.

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 19 Sep 2017 18:17

Can anybody point me in the right direction regarding setting up my Perseus SDR for listening to remote receivers? Maybe there's an instructional video.

I had problems last time as I couldn't remember how to bring up the splash screen for opening up the Perseus for public networks. I think that's only half of the job too as I remember something had to be done within Windows (7).

Thank you if anybody can help me.

satnipper

Re: Setting up the Perseus SDR for remote SDR / Network access.

Post by satnipper » 19 Sep 2017 19:16

Click top left blue button to access Network Settings.

Open port 8014 on router for tcp and udp traffic.

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 20 Sep 2017 09:36

Thanks Stuart.

It didn't work.

I opened the port on inbound traffic, but I couldn't find anything relating to TCP or UDP settings. The message I get on Perseus suggests that the connection is being attempted, but the minutes and seconds do not start counting down.

Next I temporarily disabled my firewall (which worked last time) but still no connection. I know I need to set Inbound Rules but this was a quick fix to see if it would work.

Finally, I remember a network window which appeared past time which asked me if Perseus would be allowed to connect to private and public networks. I haven't seen that screen this time and can't remember how to make it appear. Last time I did this, that was the point where the connection sprung to life, after I had checked or unchecked the appropriate settings.

I found a few help videos and tutorials on the web, but nothing entirely relevant

satnipper

Post by satnipper » 20 Sep 2017 13:24

When you open a port you normally have to specify tcp and/or udp. I have mine open for both on 8014 and I can listen to other Persii.

This window is probably your firewall or AV application. If you have 8014 open to udp traffic and it is not working when you connect to a remote station then it is either your windows firewall or AV firewall blocking.

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 20 Sep 2017 17:16

I tried this again today, starting again from scratch. I set up Outbound Services for UDP Port 8015. Inbound Services for TCP 8014. I set the ipv4 in accordance with the data in ipconfig.

I disabled all A/V and firewall software. Nothing!

I get the Perseus Network Message which tells me I am connecting to the remote service. At the bottom of this message it says This session will expire in ... but it doesn't count down the minutes. Nothing else happens at this point.

I still need that screen, when I run Perseus, which asks me if I want Perseus to be shared on Private or Public Networks. I don't know where to find it and I think that is the key to this.

satnipper

Post by satnipper » 20 Sep 2017 18:22

To run your Perseus as a client and access other network Persii you need to have 8014 UDP open for inbound services. There's a document in the V4.1a distribution which explains this - "Client-Server Perseus Software Reference - EN02.pdf"

Just keep it simple = open 8014 (ignore 8015) for udp/tcp inbound and outbound. If you have disabled all AV and firewall that should work (it should also work with them enabled...)

The reason you need UDP inbound open is that the remote Perseus send you visual data and the audio stream through UDP - not TCP.

Stuart

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 21 Sep 2017 01:02

Thank you Stuart.

IT'S WORKING! :D

I didn't see the setting for TCP/UDP in the Services. I thought it had to be TCP *or* UDP.

You saved the day!

satnipper

Post by satnipper » 21 Sep 2017 13:04

Excellent stuff!

Be sure to fill out the emailed customer service satisfaction survey and say if you would recommend the satnipper for all your Perseus related queries... :-)

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 21 Sep 2017 14:26

I already have! :) A*+++ SuperPro Deluxe Recommended!

Return to “Medium Wave & Long Wave”