Africa

General Discussion
John Faulkner, Skegness

Africa

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 17 Jul 2017 21:39

I thought I ought to start a new thread for this rather than prolonging the "Was It Just Here?" topic.

I have the flag now pointing towards eastern Africa. This will keep Spain down to a minimum, in theory.

I recorded the band yesterday evening and found that noise levels weren't quite the problem I thought they were going to be. If anything, this evening is a little quieter.

Once again. I am not exactly sure what I should be looking for with African DX, but I will check out the stations I heard last season. Already, I am hearing what appears to be a Sudan on 1296, mixing with XL from Birmingham and COPE Valencia. It's not a bad signal and easily matches the UK and Spain.

Brookman Spark

Re: Africa

Post by Brookman Spark » 18 Jul 2017 09:33

Wondering whether these two are worth looking for. Not eastern Africa, I realise:

702 Radio LM, 50kW from Welgedacht. Oldies with English presenters
657 Radio Pulpit, 50kW from Meyerton. Religious talk and music in Afrikaans and English.

... and whether there is any correlation with the strength of 3320 Sonder Grense, also from Meyerton, which is audible most nights but was a little more punchy on Sunday night.

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 18 Jul 2017 16:16

Thanks Brookman. I will look out for those.

In the meantime, here is a recording of Sudan on 1296 yesterday evening. Note the late time pips. You can hear the "Sudan" ID and there is a mention of Omdurman too. Then some kind of jingle or top of the hour signature music.

https://youtu.be/0XRZhMlKj58

This came in at 12.95.989 while COPE Valencia was on 1295.999 and Radio XL was on 1296.001. A bit of receiver warm-up drift can be seen in this video but I checked against Virgin 1242 as a reference frequency at this precise moment, so that should be accurate (assuming Virgin is).

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 20 Jul 2017 15:48

Much stronger signals from Sudan on 1296 yesterday evening between 2000 - 2200. SRTC was consistently stronger than COPE Valencia and Langley Mill (XL).

Brookman Spark

Post by Brookman Spark » 05 Dec 2017 21:51

Geo-storm time again so a brief scan this evening of frequencies offering a potential southern flavour:

1440 African language heard under Riyadh, fair at times. So probably the Nigerian again. I don't hear it as well as this under "normal" geo conditions.
891 Portugal Rádio Sim is stronger than usual but nothing heard from Lesotho*, nor for a long time. It's still on though, receivable through the South of Johannesburg ZA Kiwi-SDR. Same music format as ever.
1377 Nothing heard from Radio Free Africa TZA. And the ZA receiver has had no trace of it for many months now.
917 Nigeria but not enhanced. The variable reception of this one is a long term mystery. Received strength doesn't appear to correlate with the usual geo measurement reports. Not as far as I can see anyway.

Anything else noted from that direction?

*Why did I type Malawi earlier? Madness!

Return to “Medium Wave & Long Wave”