MW Longwire Experiment (with two dogs!)

General Discussion
John Faulkner, Skegness

MW Longwire Experiment (with two dogs!)

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 24 Jun 2017 10:55

https://youtu.be/FiOjoHGxs2Q

I have been meaning to post this for some time. This is about inductive coupling whereby you wrap a wire around a portable receiver to improve reception. But I thought I ought to put things into practice first and have a play.

Yesterday evening, I took my Degen DE1103 to some dunes just off Gibraltar Point. It was quite impromptu and I wasn't expecting any real results, but things were a lot better than I expected, even though I overlooked something very important while I conducted the quick test.

I doubt that this could replace DXing with a proper Beverage antenna or tuned longwire fed correctly 'into' a receiver. Or could it?

Does anybody have any experience with this kind of thing?

Are there ways I could improve on this? i.e. by having the correct number of turns around the receiver?

I used very thin wire. Would it improve things if I used thicker wire (since this is not physically connected to the receiver)?

Oh yes - this is filmed using a very old 'point and shoot' camera which conveniently fits into my coat pocket, so don't expect great quality!

Thanks.

Julian Hardstone
Site Admin

Re: MW Longwire Experiment (with two dogs!)

Post by Julian Hardstone » 24 Jun 2017 13:50

You had a bit of capacitance coupling, not inductive, to whichever of the two antennas you were using. I assume you were using the usual setting which selects the ferrite loop antenna for MW/LW, so the effect would have been much more noticeable if you had selected the telescopic rod antenna

To benefit from an external long wire you need an inductive coupling to your ferrite loop, which means coupling somewhere there is signal current flowing. This is typically somewhere in the middle, or at least away from the end, but if you can make a ground connection you can couple to the current flowing between the end of the wire and ground.

So you should go out and try again! My very limited experience of this effect has been when out walking with a small radio. If you find a long fence wire there will be sufficient inductive coupling if you just hold the radio perpendicular to the fence wire without wrapping anything, when you will suddenly find the band full of Iberian or East European stations in the middle of the day

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 24 Jun 2017 14:27

Very interesting. I will try this later if the weather stays dry.

I will also try it without the dogs and with the attenuator switched off! :)

I will try the telescopic whip method too.

Thanks Julian.

Julian Hardstone
Site Admin

Post by Julian Hardstone » 24 Jun 2017 14:55

To use the telescopic ae or an external antenna on MW you should 'scan' down from 1711kHz until you get to 630kHz, then save that setting in memory, as per the procedure on http://ukradio.info/Degen/, but to use inductive coupling from a wire I suggest one or two turns around the radio with its ferrite rod
Will be interesting to hear how you get on

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 24 Jun 2017 16:04

I tried that method last night and it did make a difference, but I only tried it indoors right next to the computer. You can guess the results.

I had intended to try this yesterday evening, but the dogs needed more of my attention than the radio did. Maybe this evening. I'll take the camera again too.

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 25 Jun 2017 16:20

https://youtu.be/LumN90FbCIE

Here was my effort from yesterday evening. I don't think there's anything really useful in this, but maybe it would serve better as a tourist video for Gibraltar Point and the South Dunes areas.

If I do this again, I'll take my Camcorder, which is full HD.

Return to “Medium Wave & Long Wave”