Yosoo RTL SDR & Tecsun AN 200 MW loop

General Discussion
pe1etr

Yosoo RTL SDR & Tecsun AN 200 MW loop

Post by pe1etr »

https://youtu.be/kKiHv3lWIJU

You can see the effect of me tuning the loop and moving it around.

The Yosoo RTL SDR was used in Direct Sampling mode in SDR#.

Peter Wilson
Blackpool UK

Tim Bucknall

Re: Yosoo RTL SDR & Tecsun AN 200 MW loop

Post by Tim Bucknall »

I think that's the lowest freqs I've seen anyone use the RTL sdrs for so far , good work
Rx: Burkhardt Reuter RDR54D1, Elad FDM-S2, Airspy HF+ w/ HS Publications 6 Element R3 -R5 Yagi on rooftop rotator V/H polarization options. Pira P275 RDS analyser

pe1etr

Post by pe1etr »

Tim Bucknall wrote:I think that's the lowest freqs I've seen anyone use the RTL sdrs for so far , good work
Hello Tim, I seem to have confused you.

This is the same device I use with the 10.7MHz IF from my HiFi tuners. It covers from 100 kHz to 1.7 GHz. It is NOT a standard RTL dongle.
IMG_20151125_093159.jpg

Tim Bucknall

Post by Tim Bucknall »

ah tuner IF out for MW just like fm? got it

so a tuner can become a hardcore budget dx machine for MW too?
Rx: Burkhardt Reuter RDR54D1, Elad FDM-S2, Airspy HF+ w/ HS Publications 6 Element R3 -R5 Yagi on rooftop rotator V/H polarization options. Pira P275 RDS analyser

pe1etr

Post by pe1etr »

Tim Bucknall wrote:ah tuner IF out for MW just like fm? got it

so a tuner can become a hardcore budget dx machine for MW too?
Erm no, you haven't got it. This device tunes right through from 100 kHz to 1.7 GHz. When tuning 100 kHz to 24 MHz it uses "Direct Sampling (Q Branch)". From 24 MHz to 1.7 GHz it uses "Quadrature". These modes are selectable in SDR# and HDSDR.

I tuned to MW and used a Tecsun loop as an aerial.

You can of course tap the AM IF (455 kHz/450 kHz) in a tuner or radio and feed that to the Yosoo. I'll try this when I can work out where to tap the IF in my tuner.

Peter

daveB

Post by daveB »

I've just added a tap to my Lowe HF-225 immediately after the 1st mixer. The IF is nominally 45.000 MHz. I used a small buffer board produced by G4HUP (model no. PAT50M) to provide a high impedance tap off which I've fed to a standard RTL dongle tuned to (you've guessed it) 45 MHz. With this set up you would do the tuning on the HF receiver and leave the SDR set to the first IF - but that lets you a) take advantage of the filters and signal processing of the SDR software b) can see activity on nearby frequencies and c) offset tune some considerable way from the centre of the IF frequency as the bandwidth is limited by the front-end filters.

The results are interesting - but I'm getting computer hash via the USB cable at LF which needs attending to. The RF gain has to be right down - 0dB on some bands and not much more than 12dB to avoid overload. On HF where the computer noise wasn't apparent the good old ears tell me the SDR add-on gives a bit better result - not so noisy. A screen shot of reception on 15020KHz is shown. It also reveals an oddity - despite taking the feed from before the first IF filter there is some interaction as at the +/- 7. KHz points there is a dip of about 12 dB in sensitivity, which - as the first IF filter has a bandwidth of 15 KH, can't be a coincidence. The second point I noted was that at LF the tuning goes one way and at HF the other. So at a certain point you have to Swap the I and Q.
Lowe_HF225 to RTL-SDR on 15230 KHz.jpg
David
SDRPlay, AirSpyMini, RTL dongles, ST311, Yamaha TX930. 5 ele yagi 20ft agl - 70 deg. FM5 - 80 deg, 5.1 Yagi 16ft agl - 120 degFM5 -180 deg. Vert 3-ele Moxon - 80 deg. Shielded magnetic loop 0.1-200 MHz - 10 ft agl

Tim Bucknall

Post by Tim Bucknall »

i did try to educate myself but googling Yoosoo just brings up various Chinese dudes ;-)

MW news should cover this kind of thing but they'd rather waste 6 pages on an account of a rich dude dxing radio 5 on a crystal set from his canal boat
I have the suspicion that they don't want to make the hobby accessible to more people

pe1etr

Post by pe1etr »

Tim Bucknall wrote:i did try to educate myself but googling Yoosoo just brings up various Chinese dudes ;-)

MW news should cover this kind of thing but they'd rather waste 6 pages on an account of a rich dude dxing radio 5 on a crystal set from his canal boat
I have the suspicion that they don't want to make the hobby accessible to more people
Maybe if you search for "Yosoo" instead of "Yoosoo" you'd have more success :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yosoo-RTL-SDR-R ... B00VHYTM7A
That's the one I bought.

Peter

Tim Bucknall

Post by Tim Bucknall »

:)

daveB

Post by daveB »

People might be interested in what is on this web site. https://www.cosycave.co.uk/index.php?id ... r=category They sell R820T RTL dongles at very good prices and have a basic HF converter on a small circuit board plus they have a wide-band low noise pre-amp. The latter two require you to find your own enclosure. They also sell at a reasonable cost a converter cable to go from the mcx connector to an sma socket and various adapters.

David
SDRPlay, AirSpyMini, RTL dongles, ST311, Yamaha TX930. 5 ele yagi 20ft agl - 70 deg. FM5 - 80 deg, 5.1 Yagi 16ft agl - 120 degFM5 -180 deg. Vert 3-ele Moxon - 80 deg. Shielded magnetic loop 0.1-200 MHz - 10 ft agl

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness »

Tim Bucknall wrote:MW news should cover this kind of thing but they'd rather waste 6 pages on an account of a rich dude dxing radio 5 on a crystal set from his canal boat. I have the suspicion that they don't want to make the hobby accessible to more people
:lol: Got it in one! :) It's an elitist bunch of snobs. Or snobby bunch of elitists, whichever you prefer.

Return to “Medium Wave & Long Wave”