A few stirrings from N America

General Discussion
Paul Crankshaw

A few stirrings from N America

Post by Paul Crankshaw »

The JiX index in Jaguar was a bit higher at 0300 than it has been recently and a few more distant stations were audible at 0300. I've only checked 1000+ but WMVP, WOWO, WMAX, WHBY, WSSP and KXEL were all audible.

I have been away from home for a week and returned on Saturday. On plugging in, I noticed the Vactrol didn't appear to be working and soon afterwards smoke and an acrid burning plastic smell came from the control box in the shack. It looks as if there was a short in the three wires soldered to the potentiometer. The three wires are fixed together for a short run and the insulation was melted. I separated them and reinsulated them. A test meter shows the control box is behaving as it should. It isn't connected yet to the vactrol at the foot of the antenna so it remains to be seen if there is still a problem somewhere down the line.

Meanwhile I'm back to using a variable resistor :(
simbeav

Re: A few stirrings from N America

Post by simbeav »

Unfortunately, the local noise has ramped up another level. It's affecting the Flag much more that the Wellbrook, I'm afraid and not much is getting through on the flag.

If it continues to the Autumn then I may be out of the game.

I hope your Vactrol gets sorted. What are you using to power it ? I've read reports of noise being generated when a power supply is used.
John Faulkner, Skegness
Site Owner

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness »

I hope not Simon. FIngers crossed for you.
Paul Crankshaw

Post by Paul Crankshaw »

Sorry to hear of the problems Simon. Bear in mind when desired sigs are weak the local noise is much more noticeable.

I'm just using a bog standard PSU. Seems quiet enough.

It's too hot to do a full VActrol overhaul outside so the internal and external units are sitting on my desk meantime. I do a daily "tweak" of the variable resistor using one of those gizmos that retransmits audio onto an FM channel.
John Faulkner, Skegness
Site Owner

That's the problem. It's only 28/29 or so. I think we hit 30C a couple of days ago. But it's the humidity which is the problem. Non-stop sweating even when standing still in the shade.

I had planned to get the flag erected this week but it's been too hot. Maybe next week. I'm still on schedule as I was planning to get it back up by the end of July.

Do you know the direction of the noise Simon? Could a phasing antenna of some sort do the trick?

I'm hoping that my noise has gone. No way of knowing until the flag is back up.
simbeav

Post by simbeav »

Yes. I just hope it improves with stronger signals. Not hopeful with the way it is affecting WBBR at the moment.

John. Years ago, I could usually track down where the noise was coming from, even if the only thing I could do about it was tweak the null on the loop. Now there is so much of it, from so many sources that trying to track it down with a portable has become virtually impossible.

I suspect that the latest may be coming from a house that backs on to mine. Some new occupants recently moved in and it is directly in line with my flag.
John Faulkner, Skegness
Site Owner

That's not good. I ave a similar situation at home on the FM band. There is a general 'mush' sound which is similar to the white noise you hear on an empty channel. It's coming in from several directions and all of these sources vary in strength. I can only assume that a lot of this noise comes from broadband/fibre modems. My own modem produces the same noise across MW at home.

Return to “Medium Wave & Long Wave”