Bosnia Analog still on

Report newsworthy items here
Tim Bucknall

Bosnia Analog still on

Post by Tim Bucknall »

E6 could be a possible tx target if we get a high MUF this summer

"Hello Tim,

Yes, analog signals continue to be active in Bosnia and Herzegovina. Some of the stronger transmitters had to reduce their power because of interference, but some are going strong like they always used to. I can still log some VHF band 3 stations at higher altitudes in my area, for example at Schöckl mountain north of Graz on the south-eastern slope at 1,100m above sea level: ch.6 RTRS, Kozara/Lisina (260km), ch.11 BHT1, Vlašić (360km). I used to log ch.10 BHT1, Velika Gomila (240km) as well but there is Slovenian DAB now and they had to reduce power on ch.10 as well.

When there is tropo, it is possible to receive some UHF signals at that location as well, but many of them are not as strong as they used to be 10-15 years ago. Some because of lower ERP, others because for instance at Vlašić, Bosnia's most important location at 1943m above sea level, a storm destroyed the UHF antennas some years ago, they are still using a backup solution for ch.29 FTV and ch.35 OBN with lower power.

During very strong tropo I can sometimes even log the above VHF signals at home in Graz, Austria on my balcony (approx. same distance to transmitters, but at 350m above sea level).

Vy 73

Amos Schmidt "
Rx: Burkhardt Reuter RDR54D1, Elad FDM-S2, Airspy HF+ w/ HS Publications 6 Element R3 -R5 Yagi on rooftop rotator V/H polarization options. Pira P275 RDS analyser

Ben Smith

Re: Bosnia Analog still on

Post by Ben Smith »

I can confirm Bosnia being on-air, E5 Majevica and E11 Vlasic are strong permanent receptions even with an FM aerial in South Hungary.

david h

Post by david h »

in all my years dxing i have never had Es above 2 meters here in Scotland
RSP1A SDR , SDRsharp v1700 ( modded extio) , RDS spy , TEF6686 , XDR-GTK TEF6686 Edition , 20 db amp , Korner 9 yagi , B2 5/8th wave vertical , 27 MHz full wave loop V pol

Chris Howles

Post by Chris Howles »

I had band 3 Es just the once back in June 1988 from Algeria on E5. Signal was very strong and lasted at least 30 mins and that was just with a loft aerial and pre-amp. Gary Smith 25 miles north east of me during the same opening also had Algeria on E5 and E7 plus Libya on Fubk test card on E6. B3 Es are rare but probably happen more often than we realise, however most probably go unnoticed these days as I guess very few DXers look, or even have analogue TV gear anymore.
Denon TU-1500RD X4, Rotel RT-955, Icom IC-R7100, Tescun PL390, Auna DAB, D100 TVDX conv
Homebrew 6 el modified Triax FM, Homebrew 2 el 64-105MHz, vert FM 2 el(ESE), 2x horz FM 2el facing S and SE both mounted low
RDS Spy

david h

Post by david h »

my d500 and 100 have been used for other things and not got any tv antennas up as for whats left its not really worth it , i dont even rem what i did with my jvc 610 tv i think i gave it away
RSP1A SDR , SDRsharp v1700 ( modded extio) , RDS spy , TEF6686 , XDR-GTK TEF6686 Edition , 20 db amp , Korner 9 yagi , B2 5/8th wave vertical , 27 MHz full wave loop V pol

simbeav

Post by simbeav »

My JVC 3040 UKC is sitting on the shelf behind me as I speak. It hasn't received anything in years,

Never got Band III Es even when I had a decent antenna.

pe1etr

Post by pe1etr »

Chris Howles wrote:
30 Mar 2021 11:23
I had band 3 Es just the once back in June 1988 from Algeria on E5. Signal was very strong and lasted at least 30 mins and that was just with a loft aerial and pre-amp. Gary Smith 25 miles north east of me during the same opening also had Algeria on E5 and E7 plus Libya on Fubk test card on E6. B3 Es are rare but probably happen more often than we realise, however most probably go unnoticed these days as I guess very few DXers look, or even have analogue TV gear anymore.
Band III digital TV and DAB should be possible via Es. Probably would take quite a lot of luck though.

Peter

Chris Howles

Post by Chris Howles »

pe1etr wrote:
30 Mar 2021 14:27
Chris Howles wrote:
30 Mar 2021 11:23
Band III digital TV and DAB should be possible via Es. Probably would take quite a lot of luck though.

Peter
I have looked for B3 DAB Es several times when the MUF has been up at 2 meters but never had any luck. As for B3 digital TV I always forget that is even a thing... I have no idea which countries have it in Europe.
Denon TU-1500RD X4, Rotel RT-955, Icom IC-R7100, Tescun PL390, Auna DAB, D100 TVDX conv
Homebrew 6 el modified Triax FM, Homebrew 2 el 64-105MHz, vert FM 2 el(ESE), 2x horz FM 2el facing S and SE both mounted low
RDS Spy

PFM907

Post by PFM907 »

my highest TVchannel was R 5 (carrier around 99,7 MHz) but it takes some real good condx to get this.
I never had Eskip on VHF-III (DAB) but I know it is possible.

atfmdx

Post by atfmdx »

the morning of June 15 2019 we had a strong southerly tropo duct and I happened to be just in the right place. However despite getting alot of FM stations including a lot of LP ones, the analogue VHF III and UHF were completely empty.
I was hoping for Vlasic E-11 or Kozara/Lisina E-06 but unfortunately there was only noice.

Regarding Es: In 2017 we experienced quite a few high MUF openings including one up to 222 MHz :o
If something like that is to happen again in the next couple of years signals from Bosnia, Turkey, Algeria and adjacent places in North Africa could be possible up in Central Europe again. Let's hope for the best :D
73s

Franco Martelli

Post by Franco Martelli »

atfmdx wrote:
01 Apr 2021 12:54
the morning of June 15 2019 we had a strong southerly tropo duct and I happened to be just in the right place. However despite getting alot of FM stations including a lot of LP ones, the analogue VHF III and UHF were completely empty.
I was hoping for Vlasic E-11 or Kozara/Lisina E-06 but unfortunately there was only noice.

Regarding Es: In 2017 we experienced quite a few high MUF openings including one up to 222 MHz :o
If something like that is to happen again in the next couple of years signals from Bosnia, Turkey, Algeria and adjacent places in North Africa could be possible up in Central Europe again. Let's hope for the best :D
73s
I think that Algeria and Morocco has switched off all analogic tv transmitters (Morocco in 2019, Algeria in 2020's fall).
Tunisia did it some years before (2014 or so on).
Rxs: Degen DE-1103, Sangean ATS-909, Tecsun PL-398 MP

Return to “News”