New member- hi everyone!

adc82140

New member- hi everyone!

Post by adc82140 » 09 Apr 2015 10:39

Hello,

Not sure how I missed this forum for so long.

I'm Adam, 36ish years old :)

Living in Fordingbridge, Hampshire, which according to my aerial installer is a well known radio deadspot!

Equipment- Sony ST-SB920 tuner, Videologic DRX601ES DAB, 5 element Antiference of monted horizontal FM aerial pointing due south, vertical loft mounted folded dipole (unknown brand) feeding the second input of the Sony. 4 element Antiference roof mounted DAB aerial pointing north west towards Mendip.

Largely shielded from the east by a steep rise in the landscape, fairly flat towards Dorset and the coast.

Looking forward to sharing a few logs :)
Setup:

5 element roof mounted south facing
Vertical dipole loft mounted
4 element DAB towards Mendip
Sony STSB920 (unmodified)
RTL2832 SDR (SDR# and SDR-j)

Andrew Webster,Wigan

Re: New member- hi everyone!

Post by Andrew Webster,Wigan » 09 Apr 2015 11:07

Hi Adam welcome to the forum looking forward to seeing your logs.

Andy
Receiving equipment: 2 Sony ST-S311, 1 Sony ST-SE520, 1 Sony ST-SE700 2 crossed FM 5s rotatable, 1 homemade FM 3 horizontal beaming S/E, 1 vertical FM 3 fixed beaming at Ireland, 2 element band 1.

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 09 Apr 2015 11:28

Hello Adam. Welcome to the forum.

Hah!- I've heard things like that from aerial contractors before. Bless 'em. :lol:

We're a friendly bunch here. Do keep in touch and looking forward to seeing your loggings. You should have some great tropo reception into France and hopefully beyond in Hampshire. Lovely county.

Alex Cator

Post by Alex Cator » 09 Apr 2015 12:52

Welcome, Adam! I look forward to seeing your loggings, and it is nice that the ground rises to your east, so you don't get much from the UK. The only problem with that would be the difficulty getting countries like Norway, Sweden, Poland, Germany, Denmark, the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Switzerland and Liechtenstein. I presume you will get a lot of French and Spanish stations. Look out for the Liérganes transmitter near Santander, Spain, and the Brest transmitter in Brittany, France.

Liérganes:
93.0 (RNE Radio Clásica, don't try that one as it's too close to 92.9 Rowridge)
96.9 (RNE Radio Nacional)
102.9 (RNE Radio 3, that would be impossible due to your local co-channel Hannington)
105.0 (RNE Radio 5 Todo Noticias)

Brest:
89.4 (France Musique)
93.0 (France Bleu Breiz Izel, again too close to Rowridge)
95.4 (France Inter)
97.8 (France Culture)

My name is Alex Cator, and I am an teenage FM DXer (amongst having far more interests than just DXing) based in East Harling, a village in southern-central Norfolk, about seven miles north of the border with Suffolk, and 32 miles inland to the east. My furthest tropo catch yet is MDR 1 Radio Sachsen-Anhalt on 94.6, from the 1142 metre high Brocken mountain in Saxony-Anhalt, Germany. These are the transmitters I get very often, pretty much every day, via scatter.

Egem (Belgium, vertical)
Tournai (Belgium, mixed, although best received in horizontal)
Dudelange (Luxembourg, horizontal)
Goes (Netherlands, vertical)
Bouvigny-Boyeffles (France, horizontal)
Schoten (Belgium, vertical)
IJsselstein (Netherlands, vertical, also known as Lopik)
Hilversum (Netherlands, vertical)

I use a modified Sony ST-SB920 with the default filters, but with enhanced narrow gain control and stereo threshold, and also a Sony XDR-S10HDiP, which will probably be replaced with an XDR-F1HD, because the latter can be modified for PC control, whereas the S10's stock controller disrupts a hack required for the mod to work, and for Konrad Kosmatka's controller, which is used for the mod, to work. Also I have an Onkyo T-4970, the oldest of all my tuners. I use a Technics RS-BX501 cassette deck for recording DX catches.
My antenna is a Triax FM3, currently indoors and rotated/changed from horizontal to vertical manually. I have a plan to use it on my rooftop, fixed 105 degrees and vertical. I also will upgrade to having a Korner 9.2 antenna, with superb front-to-back ratio of 30 dB, horizontally, with a cheap Conrad Electronics rotator, on my rooftop.
My house is elevated, perhaps on the highest point of East Harling, with a good view across the fields to the north and north-east. The elevation is adequate for receiving foreign stations, as a lot of my village does not have as good reception of the foreign stations. Here in my part of Norfolk, I am a little bit unlucky to suffer this problem not suffered so much by DXers on the Norfolk and Suffolk coasts. My elevated house has a good take-off in all directions, and I do get lots of problems getting some foreign stations because of British stations further inland, particularly those in West Norfolk, Cambridgeshire, Peterborough, Lincolnshire etc, and tropo can even bring in Leicestershire, Nottinghamshire, West Midlands, Staffordshire etc, stations. My Korner 9.2 will hopefully overcome the problem, for example, I will be able to receive HR 2 from Grosser Feldberg, Hesse, Germany, instead of KLFM from Great Massingham, on 96.7. KLFM even makes it difficult to get BBC Radio Kent from Wrotham, which is comparatively near if one compares it to a German station. Considering how often foreign station frequencies are reused further inland in the UK, I just try to put up with it. I have attempted to null Classic FM from Peterborough, 101.9, on my FM3, in order to get Sky Radio from Goes, Netherlands, instead. It once worked, even without tropo, but Classic just came back. I will later have a vertical Korner 9.2 as well, and my FM3 will become a phasing antenna, for powering an HS Publications antenna phaser, which may help me reduce unwanted signals, especially those from Tacolneston, my local transmitter, 17 km away, with five programmes all transmitted at 250 kW.
I hope the 5-element Antiference does well for you, do you get France every day, or do you need tropo?

Good DX!
Alex Cator
Home: Sony ST-SB920 (modified), Sony XDR-S10HDiP, Onkyo T-4970, Ford 5000 RDS, horizontal Triax FM3
Mobile: Ford Fiesta (Style, 2013) and Ford Focus (2012) car radios
Portable: Tecsun PL-390, Grundig G5 (2 x 110kHz), Etón G8

Alex Cator

Post by Alex Cator » 09 Apr 2015 12:54

Forgot to mention, here in Norfolk, I have received RNE Radio Nacional from Liérganes on 96.9, France Inter from Brest on 95.4, and France Musique from Brest on 89.4, both in some quite good tropo. You could get them every day if you had a good enough antenna, and the Antiference could be good enough, I suppose. It's better than my Triax FM3, which is really a good thing. Interestingly, the gain is much higher on the Antiference, but the front-to-back ratio is the same, both 16 dB.
My catches of Brest and Liérganes were both on my Sony ST-SB920, which was unmodified back then, only with a ribbon wire antenna, although I was using a 10 dB signal booster!
Home: Sony ST-SB920 (modified), Sony XDR-S10HDiP, Onkyo T-4970, Ford 5000 RDS, horizontal Triax FM3

Jim (Bournemouth)

Post by Jim (Bournemouth) » 09 Apr 2015 18:10

Welcome, Adam.

Not too far away from you, down in Bournemouth.

You need a rotator on that 5-element! You might be surprised on what you get from the East despite the hill. At my old place in Wimborne, I was firing straight into a hill to the south of me 50 yards away. I still got some good results on VHF when conditions were right.
Jim, Bournemouth, Dorset. IO90BR.

Elad FDM-S2, Perseus/FM+ and Funcube Dongle SDR Recievers 8-element OP-DES for Band 2, 12-ele ZL Special for 2m, plus wideband vertical

Nick Gilly

Post by Nick Gilly » 09 Apr 2015 18:30

Hi Adam, and welcome to the forum :) I think I know you from somewhere ;)

Yes a rotator would be good for your 5-element. It's a pity that conditions have been mediocre during this current settled spell as it would certainly be interesting to compare logs during better conditions.

Are you still only getting locals above 103 MHz?
Good DX.

Nick, Whitchurch, Hampshire.

BW Broadcast RBRX Encore, Kenwood L-1000T, Yamaha T-2, Denon TU-800L, Kenwood KT-1100SD (modified), Yamaha T-85, Sony XDR-F1HD tuners, horizontal Körner 9.2 beam (Antennenland version), Yaesu G-450C rotator

adc82140

Post by adc82140 » 09 Apr 2015 18:48

Wow, thanks for the welcomes! The current conditions have been a bit disappointing, but my location does bring in Caen and Cherbourg even in flat conditions. Surprisingly I have been able to null out Hannington quite well.

Nick, yes I am now receiving Cherbourg on 105.6- I turned off the Wifi in the house and all was well. The router is right next to the wall plate in the living room where everything comes in. I find myself posting less and less to "the other place" as I'm only really interested in the technical stuff rather than fantasy Radio 2 schedules!
Setup:

5 element roof mounted south facing
Vertical dipole loft mounted
4 element DAB towards Mendip
Sony STSB920 (unmodified)
RTL2832 SDR (SDR# and SDR-j)

Alex Cator

Post by Alex Cator » 09 Apr 2015 22:20

Routers can be a pain when trying to receive any radio signal, apart from the WiFi signal the router is transmitting, of course. I have at home a BT Home Hub 5 - at the old house it used to be very annoying because it was in a good radio hotspot. Not so annoying anymore because no foreign stations pickup where the Hub is located now.
The Home Hub used to transmit blank carriers on 66.7, 100.0 (the strongest of them all, with about 50 dB of signal when my Tecsun PL-390 was positioned near the Hub) and 108.0. The one on 100.0 really gave Radio Norwich 99.9 (100 kHz behind) a hard time! Blank frequencies had 22 dB of white noise. The white noise gave Tacolneston a hard time as well, as the BBC stations were all in very hissy stereo, and Classic FM was hissy mono. Kiss on 106.4 was the same quality as Classic FM. For the Great Barton signals, BBC Radio Suffolk was very weak and Heart was not there. Stoke Holy Cross, Great Massingham and anything else were all knocked out.
No legit radio stations could be received on LW, MW or SW, as all frequencies had a very loud buzzing noise on them. Even 5 Live and Talksport were not there!

Return to “Introduce Yourself”