Welcome to the new DXer based in Breckland!

Alex Lawler

Re: Welcome to the new DXer based in Breckland!

Post by Alex Lawler » 11 Jan 2015 22:17

The 6040 is superior to the 6050 in terms of selectivity and sensitivity. However it will need modification as even on its narrow stock filter locals will splatter 200 khz either way. A guy in Austria sells them on ebay but they are not cheap.Once modified the 6040 is more sensitive than the Sony XDR F1/S3 S10 and potentially cheaper although it lacks RDS capacity as you said. I sold a 6040 a few months back. Nobody was really interested in it at the time and I let it go cheaply to a dxer in Scotland.
Icom 2730e
Roberts 93i
Sangean Dpr 69
Grundig G5

satnipper

Post by satnipper » 11 Jan 2015 23:22

I have here a modded Sony 920, Kenwood 6040 with Conrad RDS Unit (can't remember if I modded it or not), Konrad modded Sony XDR-F1, Perseus FM+, Elad FDM-S2 and E4000/R820 dongles. With my Triax FM5-H sensitivity is more or less the same on all rigs - however as with most modern rigs sensitivity is not the issue in populated areas - selectivity and dynamic range is. The modded analogue units have nothing like the selectivity of the XDR. The FM+ overloads along with the dongles in London and has about the same performance as a dongle in rural France.

Band II dxing is now done with the XDR as primary rig due to its outstanding selectivity, Elad and occasionally the FM+. I don't use the analogue rigs any more. Once you've tried an XDR or a SDR unit there are not many who would stay with a traditional hi-fi tuner - modded or not.

regards

Stuart

Alex Cator

Post by Alex Cator » 13 Jan 2015 19:44

I use a Sony XDR as well - the XDR-S10HDiP, even though I haven't for long, since yesterday I had it. It's great, and it outperforms the ST-SB920 in terms of sensitivity and selectivity. It leaves me with static (as well as room for Oxford) 200 kHz away from my Tacolneston locals, without any adjacent-frequency splatter. Of course Viking is there all the time now. My 920 struggled to get stations 200 kHz away from semi-locals using the stock 150 kHz narrow filter. Viking FM, at its weakest, was unlistenable on my SB920 (thanks to KL.FM 96.7), but, when it got stronger, it could be heard, still with splatter remaining. I also own an Onkyo T-4970. On that, the wide and narrow (despite both filters being wider than that of the SB920) are equal to the 920, even though the super-narrow (same bandwidth as the 920's narrow filter) is much better, and that also gets Viking. The Dynas works well too, even though it has scratchy audio on some stations, and it is asymmetrical, for example, via tropo, despite Great Barton on 96.4, I would have Loon op Zand on 96.3, but Rouen on 96.5 would be swamped by Great Barton. Dynas works better on the lower passband than the upper passband. Both tuners outperform my 920, but none of my tuners (apart from the 920) display PI codes, so the 920 may be good for meteorscatter with mods, so I can track down the source of such stations. I may start a thread about how to add an external RDS decoder (e.g. Conrad) to the KT-6040.
Home: Sony ST-SB920 (modified), Sony XDR-S10HDiP, Onkyo T-4970, Ford 5000 RDS, horizontal Triax FM3
Mobile: Ford Fiesta (Style, 2013) and Ford Focus (2012) car radios
Portable: Tecsun PL-390, Grundig G5 (2 x 110kHz), Etón G8

Alex Cator

Post by Alex Cator » 13 Jan 2015 20:27

a2c39a wrote: Lofts are not ideal places for antennas.
I remember planning a DX antenna setup about a year ago. My father said, while I was about to talk about an antenna on the roof, he said that a loft would be good too, and easier, but I said no. My new antenna setup (with the Korner 9.2 etc) will never be in a loft, at my new house that will be. I may, however, put an Antennacraft FMSS in my new house's loft, not a DX antenna, but a phasing antenna for my HS Publications phaser! That still will grab enough of the junk (e.g. Stoke Holy Cross, Ipswich (Kiss), all the Cambridge and Peterborough locals, and everything else I've had enough of. Semi-locals we call them.
Home: Sony ST-SB920 (modified), Sony XDR-S10HDiP, Onkyo T-4970, Ford 5000 RDS, horizontal Triax FM3

Alex Cator

Post by Alex Cator » 22 May 2015 22:22

a2c39a wrote:
When in the Wymondham, Attleborough, Thetford areas, I have much more interference from the West Norfolk, Cambridge, etc, stations. For instance, 102.7 is either Radio 538 or nothing at my home location.
In Thetford, both West Norfolk and especially Cambridgeshire signals can be a problem. Heart Cambridge 103.0 is noise-free with RDS on most of the A11 Thetford bypass. 107.1 (Star Radio, Ely) is similar to Heart Cambridge in that respect, if not better. 107.9 (Star Radio, Cambridge) is very weak in Thetford, but reception of it explains how badly that particular town suffers (from a DXing perspective) interference from Cambridgeshire.
In Attleborough, the Cambridgeshire signals are quite weak, so on a good summer's day with tropo you're more likely to get, for example, Q-music (Flanders) than Heart on 103.0.
Wymondham is interesting, because its main problem is intermod from the nearby Tacolneston transmitter (you may here some of the same!), booming in across parts of the town, on 87.5 in particular. Tacolneston may also desensitise radios in Wymondham, which may explain the difficulties with continental reception. Don't get me wrong, I have got good tropospheric results on occasions in the Wymondham area. Quite weak though, by far than at home, which is surprising, as my area (Harling Parish) is ever-so-slightly further inland than Wymondham is. Wymondham does suffer some inland QRM, not so much Cambridgeshire at all, but West Norfolk, big time. BBC Norfolk 104.4 and KL.FM 96.7 boom in in the area by the Waitrose in Wymondham, by far more than at home. Weird, because I am closer to the Great Massingham transmitter than Wymondham is. Maybe, the line-of-sight between West Norfolk and Wymondham is clearer, because an area of the massive Thetford Forest lies to my north-west, attenuating Great Massingham.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”