Hello,........again.

a2c39a

Hello,........again.

Post by a2c39a » 24 Dec 2014 05:32

Hello All,

I used to be a member a long time ago (possibly using this id or maybe td03-5).

Several times I have tried rejoining using my HTC mobile phone but the activation email never turns up!!
I thought it was being deleted by the spam filter in my email account so I looked for the spam settings.
No sign of them on the mobile view, nor on desktop view using the HTC!
Decided to look for spam settings with my old Asus netbook and Firefox.
Still no sign, so I added a dummy contact (guessing!) of admin[at]skywavesdx[dot]org
Using the netbook I re-requested the activation email (as I have done,without success, many times before using the HTC).
Bingo! There it was!
However, it was from nothing like the dummy contact that I had added to the address book!

Was it simply because the dummy address contained skywaves or was it because I requested the activation email using the netbook and Firefox instead of the HTC?
I ask if the activation email failure could be due to using a mobile phone as I already have problems with the beaconspot[dot]uk website and cannot enter spots using the HTC mobile phone. Which is annoying because that is virtually the only way I access the internet now!

Anyway! Best wishes and Happy Modranecht to all,

John.
shot_2017-03-13_05-00-28.png

John Faulkner, Skegness

Re: Hello,........again.

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 24 Dec 2014 11:18

Hello John.

Welcome to the new group. I do indeed remember you. Nice to see you again.

I am not sure why you have had so much trouble joining the group and I am curious to learn if other people have had similar problems. I don't think it would be the spam filtering, providing you answer the "Q&A Captcha" question when signing up you should be fine.

There's a little bit of explanation I could give here which might also be of interest to other members.

There is a good reason for having the Q&A Captcha, as it is called, because the character recognition version doe not stop spambots joining, and there is a big problem with this resulting in several spambots joining every day, hence using something more radio related. These spambots are very clever and, over time, they get used to to them and are able to break through the barrier, so these questions will be changed regularly. We used to have a very difficult visual character Q&A before the last software update was done and I had to design the backgrounds. Not one single spambot got through this. That captcha required a modification to the coding. The problem then is that, once there is a software upgrade, any previous modifications tend to get overwritten, so it's back to square one in some respects. The Q&A Captcha is a permanent fixture thankfully. Spambots use Optical Character Recognition software to work their way around these, which is why none of these are a permanent block to spambots and need changing regularly.

It's a never ending battle with spambots sometimes, but we have a system in place, and a better one than the Yahoo system uses, where first posts have to be approved by a moderator. The number of 'first posts' can be altered, as with many other things in order to maintain security. Also, new subscribers must activate their membership by responding with an email reply. If not, these subscribers go into a queue. If memberships are not activated we send out a reminder activation email. After so long those members are deleted. I don't recall seeing your username in there so it is a mystery as to the problems you have been experiencing.

Occasionally, we see new members with very obvious business names such as the one who signed up this morning called Benchmarkbusiness. You can see these at the bottom of the main index page where it says "Our newest member". Anybody suspicious sounding has their IP and email checked, plus any other details they have submitted, websites, etc. and they will be deleted. The IP addresses and other factors virtually always give their game away.

My only guess regarding your previous failed subscriptions would be aggressive email spam filtering. Strange you did not have any notifications of this if it was the case. There is no record in the log to show you have attempted to join previously using the names you mention.

Anyway, a long email, but I hope it gives an insight into how this forum's spambot filtering and subscription settings work. No spammy subscriptions have got through the gates so far, but I dare say it may happen one day. These spambots are very clever and I wouldn't be surprised if one gets through occasionally.

Thank you for your patience and persistence. As I say, I hope other members will come forward if they too had any problems like this when subscribing.

Cheers John.

a2c39a

Re: Hello,........again.

Post by a2c39a » 24 Dec 2014 19:56

Thanks for the welcome John and explanation of the spam bot filtering.

No, I was meaning the spam filtering my end deleting the activation email so that I did not receive it.
Either that, or the fact I was originally using the HTC phone to register causing some problem on the forum (as it does on beaconspot[dot]uk web site).

Unless others have had any problems, then it was just one of the mysteries of the internet! ;)

My 3m reception has greatly improved since those days.
I am still living only 4km from Tacolneston but with a 4 element (almost) vertical (and another horizontal) in the loft (both fixed at bearing of 145°) and an XDR-S10HDiP on the end of the coax, I have almost every day reception from Ned/Bel/Fra!
Listening to Q Music Belgium on 103.0 as I am typing this.

I read somewhere, someone, saying that the XDR-F1 series receivers might not be very good if used close to a transmitter site. I can confirm the S10 as the best receiver I have ever used for coping with Tac! It is almost as though it does not exist, until you get within 100kHz of one of it's frequencies. No intermod! Amazing! Very, very, highly recommended.

More on the aerial and it's reception to follow in one of your threads that I have found.

Best wishes,

John.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”