Hello from Greece!!!

petedxgr

Hello from Greece!!!

Post by petedxgr » 05 Nov 2014 21:02

Hello everybody!! My name is Pete and I live in Korinthos, a city located only 78 KM away from Athens. I`m a DXer since 2011 on TV and radio. My hometown is Pyrgos, a city located in SW Greece, which is a real DX paradise! Few local radio stations, lots of free frequencies and great tropo openings to central Mediterranean Sea countries, like Italy, Malta, Libya and Tunisia! I am also an FMLIST editor for Greece and Cyprus!
This is my YouTube channel, with lots of TV and FM DX videos! https://www.youtube.com/user/p15able" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Receiving Equipment: Sangean ATS-909X, Panasonic GX500+RDS Spy, JVC MX-J150R

John Faulkner, Skegness

Re: Hello from Greece!!!

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 05 Nov 2014 21:04

Hi! Welcome to the forum Pete! Great to have you aboard.

Andrew Webster,Wigan

Post by Andrew Webster,Wigan » 05 Nov 2014 21:11

Welcome to the forum Pete.

Andy
Receiving equipment: 2 Sony ST-S311, 1 Sony ST-SE520, 1 Sony ST-SE700 2 crossed FM 5s rotatable, 1 homemade FM 3 horizontal beaming S/E, 1 vertical FM 3 fixed beaming at Ireland, 2 element band 1.

Nick Gilly

Post by Nick Gilly » 05 Nov 2014 22:52

Welcome to the forum Pete. I will have a look at your Youtube videos tomorrow when it's not so late ;-)
Good DX.

Nick, Whitchurch, Hampshire.

BW Broadcast RBRX Encore, Kenwood L-1000T, Yamaha T-2, Denon TU-800L, Kenwood KT-1100SD (modified), Yamaha T-85, Sony XDR-F1HD tuners, horizontal Körner 9.2 beam (Antennenland version), Yaesu G-450C rotator

mediterraneandxer

Post by mediterraneandxer » 06 Nov 2014 15:17

Yasu Pete! I'm hearing a lot of Greek language stations and will be glad for your help on IDing some of these.

How is your Panasonic GX500 on LW? Have you opened it up? How long is the ferrite?

I was looking around for LW portables and found that model on ebay today. The prices look ok if it performs well on LW and MW.
ICOM R75, R8500 | Lowe HF~225
Wellbrook ALA1530 | LF Engineering VLF, MW, Skymatch

mediterraneandxer

Post by mediterraneandxer » 07 Dec 2014 16:03

Apparently Pete has never returned!

Your video "LW DX: Strange buzzer on 391 KHz received in Korinthos" is CW (morse code). However it's extremely slow, possibly a beacon.
ICOM R75, R8500 | Lowe HF~225
Wellbrook ALA1530 | LF Engineering VLF, MW, Skymatch

petedxgr

Post by petedxgr » 17 Jun 2015 08:36

Hello again after a long time! My Panasonic GX500 is completely deaf on LW and MW, so I don`t use it for AM DXing. For AM DX i use my Sangean ATS-909X..
Hello mediterraneandxer, can you send me a link for identifying your logs??? The "buzzer" on 391 KHz is local broadcast, transmitting three letters, KOR in Morse code on a very slow keying, for airplanes.
Receiving Equipment: Sangean ATS-909X, Panasonic GX500+RDS Spy, JVC MX-J150R

Alex Cator

Post by Alex Cator » 17 Jun 2015 21:45

Welcome to Skywaves, Pete! I've known you for a long time now, because we subscribed to each-other's YouTube channels.
You say your band is very quiet, with few locals, good for you! Mine is quite similar, but the problem is that the ground rises a little in the direction of the European mainland and I'm 32 miles as the crow flies from the Suffolk coast (my nearest coast). I do not live in the county of Suffolk, I live in the county of Norfolk, but the Norfolk-Suffolk border gets gradually more northerly when you get closer and closer to the coast. I live about 30 miles from Cambridgeshire, a completely inland county in England with no coast, to my west, and I receive their local stations quite well here (even with RDS) when I point in a westerly direction with my Yagi antenna, and a few of their transmitters cause serious problems getting stations from the continent, even though I can heavily reduce most of the Cambridgeshire transmitters and null a few of their stations when I beam towards the continent. With the few problems I have being 'too close' to central England and Cambridgeshire, and the ground rising a little to my east and my location being 32 miles inland, I would get better results being right on the east coast of England, but I am extremely happy with my location, and, with my Triax FM3 Yagi antenna which points east-north-east, I am still able to get daily reception of several high-powered German transmitters like Barbelkreuz, Teutoburger Wald, Steinkimmen, Linz, Nordhelle and Langenberg. Here, when my antenna is vertical (it is usually horizontal), I generally receive the Netherlands, Flanders and France, all of which use vertical polarisation, even though a couple of high-powered French transmitters like Lille/Bouvigny le Mont, Brest and Reims, all of which can be received here daily and easily, use horizontal polarisation, and Wallonia, the French-speaking region of Belgium, uses mixed polarisation, just like most transmitters here in the UK (apart from the odd low-powered vertical here and there). Just about 6 km inland, you must have superb reception of Italy via tropo, and I'm not surprised if you hear RAI stations, if not more from Italy, every day on your nearby coast with your 909X.
I live 17 km from the Tacolneston transmitter, with 5 programmes (BBC Radios 1, 2, 3 and 4, and the commercial station Classic FM), all transmitted at 250 kW. This transmitter causes desensitity and overload on some radios, and the reaction depends on the radio, if it's overload or desensitivity.
I own a Triax FM3 Yagi, as stated earlier, usually beaming east-north-east, and my tuners are a Sony ST-SB920 (with gain control and stereo threshold mods), an Onkyo T-4970 and a Sony ST-SB920. My portables are a Grundig G5 (unmodified) and a Tecsun PL-390, and I use a Ford Focus and a Ford Fiesta stock car radio, both of which are very sensitive/selective, with the Focus one being better.
Hope you have a great time on the forum, from Alex.
Home: Sony ST-SB920 (modified), Sony XDR-S10HDiP, Onkyo T-4970, Ford 5000 RDS, horizontal Triax FM3
Mobile: Ford Fiesta (Style, 2013) and Ford Focus (2012) car radios
Portable: Tecsun PL-390, Grundig G5 (2 x 110kHz), Etón G8

Return to “Introduce Yourself”