New in this forum-community.

TeoNeX

New in this forum-community.

Post by TeoNeX » 07 Sep 2015 13:06

Good-day to you all!

First of all, I apologize for my bad pronounced/not faultless written English language....otherwise, write me back.. then in Dutch..:-)!

As said…I'm Hans 'a newbee' here, not in the specific techniques of RX (and TX) and this especially in both bands 87,50-108,00 and say 62-69 up to 75 MHz (OIRT).
I'm 57 yo now and started at my 14th with this RF-hobby…, as 'usual' that time -in the Netherlands- being a 3 mtr 'pirate' (knowing nearly nothing about f.e. harmonic distortion…-I heard later-... my telly-watching neighbours knew enough about this particular effect…. :oops:).
(So) After a while the Dutch Ofcom visited me (1976)... to 'tell' me -very friendly-.." that especially the TX part of this hobby asks for some more serious study and.. better stop in the meanwhile…", as I did..immediatly..became a fine of DFL 300,00.

Nevertheless I studied later my electronics and became occupied in the CATV-business... and still am! I destillated my old hobby out of my daily work... and tried TX and RX, as written in my profile.
FM (Band 2) is still an 'old love'. Band 1 (OIRT and CCIR TV VHF-Channel 04 (62,00-69,00 MHz Gerbrandy IJsselstein) is now 'empty' and excellent for listening OIRT former EastBlock.
As a WFM-'pirate' I'm also interested in (only) some frequencies in this old TV-channel for QRP- experiments (1 Watt RF netto to 9 dBd antenna) with Spain.
Remember always..I will NOT interfere during the Es summer-periods. Duty cylce of pirate-activities will be very very small even as the used power, so: 'no worries' as they say 'down under'.
I live in the eastern part of the Netherlands, a very little town called Raalte (east of Zwolle), possible interference wil not be detected in the UK!
Co-channeling will not take place! Directivity, F/B antenna and TX-QRP quarantee this!

I receive here with 5 pcs Profline SFD en SPF (tuner-part) and want to build the Korner 15.12 with your help esspecialy for getting the right mounting-materials and instructions to build the -ultimate- adapted folded dipole of this 'beast' (the 19.3 is even more bestial :-)).
The antenne will be build on my existing mast top-height 18 mtr NAP (above sea-level), together with my 70/35 cm Televes DAT45 (no mutual influence).

I hope you can and will help me to build this Korner 15.12 antenna. I have already the computer-files (from internet) the interpretation of those files is -on some points- a bit tricky. So I hope you, experienced builders, will help me. I write Julian for it...I think, I saw some pictures from him constructing this antenna.

Oke..'lads'..:-), I hope I introduced myself 'as ususal everyone does' and hope that we can have -together- the same beautifull hobby.
I saw... Gert, PE1-AIR is also active here :-), I know him very well and will also communicate with him hereabout.

Thanks in advance and I will contact you about some help building the antenne..!

73/Gr. Hans
"Why join the navy…., if you can be a pirate!" (*Steve Jobs †)

Jim (Bournemouth)

Re: New in this forum-community.

Post by Jim (Bournemouth) » 07 Sep 2015 14:48

Goede Middaq! (if I spelt it correctly!) and welcome to the board.
Jim, Bournemouth, Dorset. IO90BR.

Elad FDM-S2, Perseus/FM+ and Funcube Dongle SDR Recievers 8-element OP-DES for Band 2, 12-ele ZL Special for 2m, plus wideband vertical

Andrew Webster,Wigan

Post by Andrew Webster,Wigan » 07 Sep 2015 18:03

Welcome to the forum Hans.

Andy
Receiving equipment: 2 Sony ST-S311, 1 Sony ST-SE520, 1 Sony ST-SE700 2 crossed FM 5s rotatable, 1 homemade FM 3 horizontal beaming S/E, 1 vertical FM 3 fixed beaming at Ireland, 2 element band 1.

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 07 Sep 2015 20:49

A warm welcome to the group Hans :)

Julian Hardstone
Site Admin

Post by Julian Hardstone » 08 Sep 2015 00:17

Leuk jou te ontmoeten Hans! Please can you QRO on E4 so we can have some dx from Overijssel to the UK ;-)
I can understand that you are interested in the 70cm band, but what is the 35cm band? 30+ years ago the UK had a 35cm band for CB radio, which only a few UK Breakers used but they found it very good for dx within the UK
I hope you will have a look at the topics in the forum > VHF > Band 2 OIRT & DAB Antennas for discussions about antennas, there have been some discussions about this already.
I hope we will see your logs of OIRT dx next year - this year has been very disappointing. I had one good day of OIRT dx but mostly it has been 3 seconds of meteorscatter every week if I sit on a favourite frequency, bv 69.68 :(

Tim Bucknall

Post by Tim Bucknall » 09 Sep 2015 13:00

please feel free to tx on the OIRT bands, you're too close to us for e skip, but tropo would be a fun experiment!
Home:Burkhardt Reuter RDR54D1 SDR V.415,
+ CLP 5130 Log P ant

Mobile: Comm Radio CR-1 + Sharman Skyscan ant, Pira P275

Alex Cator

Post by Alex Cator » 11 Sep 2015 21:08

Hallo Hans, en welkom bij de Skywaves DX Forum! :) Sorry, mijn Nederlands is niet so goed, maar ik leer Nederlands en Spaans thuis en ik ook leer Frans en Duits in mijn school! :)
Sorry, I should've welcomed you earlier, but no worries! I am Alex, a teenage DXer from East Harling, a small village near the town of Attleborough in East Anglia, the most easterly region of the UK and the closest to the Netherlands. I am 32 miles inland from England's east coast and I am about 123 miles away from Westkapelle in Zeeland. In the metric system, that is 51 and 199 km. I can receive Dutch FM quite easily, but only in certain parts of my garden, the best signals being Radio 538 from Waalhaven (Rotterdam) on 102.7, Q-music from IJsselstein on 100.7 and Robbenoordbos (Wieringerwerf) on 100.5, Sky Radio from Hilversum on 101.2 and Goes on 101.9 (the latter can be obscured by a much stronger co-channel signal), NPO Radio 1 from Roermond on 104.8 and L1 Radio from Roermond on 100.3, which have been received on an asphalt roof over the oil tank in my garden, using a vertical Triax FM3 under flat conditions. Horizontally, I get three of the mixed-polarised signals from Waalhaven, which are 100.5 (Q-music), 91.3 (BNR Nieuwsradio, which can be obscured by semi-local BBC Radio 3 from Wrotham) and 97.6 (Radio Decibel), all of which are available under normal conditions.
I wish you good luck getting the UK over there in Overijssel. The furthest inland in the Netherlands I have received BBC Radio 1 from Tacolneston (99.3), which is my local here in the UK, was Meerkerk in Zuid-Holland, on the A27 between Utrecht and Breda, fairly weak, during lift conditions. I doubt it would usually get this far inland on a car radio, however with a 15.12 that's a different story! All other Tacolneston frequencies were obscured by Dutch co-channel stations in the area. I have also received it weakly on the Afsluitdijk, presumably via tropo too. BBC Radio 4 from Tacolneston (94.1) appears to cover the whole of Zeeland under lift conditions! :)
In the summer, Dutch as well as Belgian, French and Luxembourgish stations are fairly easy here in the far east of the UK. When the scatter conditions are the best, Radio 538 on 102.7 (from Waalhaven, near Rotterdam) peaks with RDS! One of the reasons why the UK is so difficult over where you are in the Netherlands is that the band is so crowded. However, the 15.12's F/B ratio should make UK transmitters such as Tacolneston, Wrotham, Belmont, Manningtree, Peterborough and even Holme Moss and Pontop Pike receivable from what I have seen from other Dutch DXers' scatter logs. There is also the Korner 19.3 which is slightly better than the 9.2, 15.11 and 15.12, but there isn't much in it. The Korner 9.2 is almost as good as the 15.12 but it's much smaller and the 9.2 available from antennenland.net.
I look forward to seeing your logs! I am sure that you get Germans regularly as you are not that far from the German border. I get Germans all the time here in the UK too. You should have more luck with the Czech Republic, Poland, Austria and Denmark than I do as I am a little bit further from those countries than you are! :)
By the way, I have received one Danish tropo signal so far, which was DR P3 on 97.2 MHz from Rangstrup! :D

Alex Cator
East Harling, Norfolk, United Kingdom
Home: Sony ST-SB920 (modified), Sony XDR-S10HDiP, Onkyo T-4970, Ford 5000 RDS, horizontal Triax FM3
Mobile: Ford Fiesta (Style, 2013) and Ford Focus (2012) car radios
Portable: Tecsun PL-390, Grundig G5 (2 x 110kHz), Etón G8

Alex Cator

Post by Alex Cator » 11 Sep 2015 21:30

Tim Bucknall wrote:please feel free to tx on the OIRT bands, you're too close to us for e skip, but tropo would be a fun experiment!
It would be nice to have an OIRT radio station from Holland as maybe that would be easier to receive here than the nationals, such as Sky Radio, Radio 538 and Q-music, as well as the few NPO signals I get here, particularly that Cambridgeshire, a neighbouring county of mine, often reuses the frequencies of Dutch and Belgian stations. I would recommend horizontal polarisation and over 100 kilowatts! Surely daily reception would be possible in my location! :)
I have never tried tropo nor scatter on the OIRT band, nor Es though it is hoped that I will get something from the former Eastern Bloc/USSR on OIRT via Es. It is true that Paul Logan has received strong German stations at his location in Northern Ireland via tropo back in Oct 2010, which were likely to be the same distance as from London to Minsk, so OIRT tropo reception from Belarus wouldn't be impossible here in East Anglia but it would need a very strong tropo.
I would recommend stereo and RDS. As Band 2 FM transmission at above about 50 nanowatts without a license issued by Ofcom is illegal here in the UK and I have transmitted a pirate station for my village in the past, maybe I should open the UK's first OIRT radio station! :idea:
I would also love to transmit an analogue TV station. That would probably be on B1, so I didn't interfere with 4G mobile (not saying that I'd reach Norwich, my nearest area with 4G coverage), Freeview (the DVB-T service here in the UK) and DAB. :lol:
By the way, I would avoid the Eastern European channels for transmitting B1 TV, so I would use the unused Western European channels! 8-)
Thanks Hans and Tim.

Alex Cator
East Harling, Norfolk, United Kingdom
Home: Sony ST-SB920 (modified), Sony XDR-S10HDiP, Onkyo T-4970, Ford 5000 RDS, horizontal Triax FM3
Mobile: Ford Fiesta (Style, 2013) and Ford Focus (2012) car radios
Portable: Tecsun PL-390, Grundig G5 (2 x 110kHz), Etón G8

TeoNeX

Post by TeoNeX » 17 Sep 2015 20:19

Hi Alex,

nice to get such a long 'story' to read! Most of the time I get complaints that I write 'too much/'long''….most of the time I write... like I talk!

I read that you are relatively young….comparing to 'the rest' 8-) Have also spoken to Catherine, also relatively young….
How do you manage this in the UK to get these youngsters in this specific hobby….we have to have this in Holland!
The average age of our hobbyist is about …50-55 yo…?!

Do not expect in a short time signals from Holland….I have to build up…first the antenna, the downconverters a.s.o..
I do have all the raw-materials (former CATV-materials) but have to rebuilt them from 32-40 MHz to 62-75 MHz.
Transmitting will be done in the former Channel E04 62-69 MHz (former analog VHF NPO-1, Gerbrandy-Lopikerkapel).

For OIRT RX (and TX-QRP) I will build the 15.11 OIRT from Peter Korner, he mailed me the drawings. For band 2 I will build the 15.12…may be the 19.3….2,5 mtrs on every side of the rotor….I do have the room on my roof.
Some calculations, especially the total weight (regarding the rotor specifications ..), have still to be made…!

Nice to read that Dutch band 2 pirate-stations (lots of the are settled near by me in the Twente-region) have been received in the UK…they did not have the faintest idea hahaha!
How will the UK-Ofcom react when 'you' (the UK-ham) transmits (very sharp aimed towards east..so Holland) at the OIRT frequencies…?

Hear from you again…in Dutch….(Google translates fast and smooth :-))…you did very well! English is not so easy for me as German….but I manage :-)

Hans
"Why join the navy…., if you can be a pirate!" (*Steve Jobs †)

Return to “Introduce Yourself”