Hello from Hungary

Ben Smith

Hello from Hungary

Post by Ben Smith »

Hi, my name is Benedek Kovács, now I am 17 and have been involved with FM-DXing for 5 years.
I live in Tompa, near the Serbian border, my location is not a DX-paradise as having 6 big power locals (60kW 88,9 92,5 99,3 101,1 V and 10kW 91,5 107,1 H) and a lot of low power ones (88,3 90,7 96,2 97,0 98,5 100,6 102,4 103,0 103,9 104,4 105,2) but I always find free DX frequencies.

My main aerial is a 15 element yagi(home-made) in H, as a tuner I have been using an RSP1A for 2 weeks. My previous tuners were an Onkyo T-4970 and a Sony ST-SE300.

Personal bests in :
tropo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v06wIy-HXk
ES: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp84WFBADrU (unfortunately I am very unlucky in double hops,I have had only OIRT 2xhops yet)
I do not pay any attention to TV-DX as not having appropriate DX equipment(neither aerial nor TV),so I do not count distance on TV logs, this is my favourite one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUKFFLVkxd0 (russian ASO message on 1TV)

In a nutshell about myself: I am still attending secondary school,and I would like to continue my studies at the university as an applied mathematician.
(on the other hand, my dream job would be music editor and DJ at a radio station )
My other hobbies including playing darts , monitoring current political situation in Hungary and surrounding countries and listening to radio just for fun(especially house music DJ sets on local Radio AS FM).

Thanks for reading my introduction.

73!

Franco Martelli

Re: Hello from Hungary

Post by Franco Martelli »

Welcome, Benedek!

It's always good to see more young people getting involved in our hobby.
[I would pay to have a "crowdy" local dial like yours.........]
Rxs: Degen DE-1103, Sangean ATS-909, Tecsun PL-398 MP

Ben Smith

Post by Ben Smith »

Thank you,Franco!

I suppose your FM dial is almost full,like mine when I receive Italy. My reason for complaining about my local FM dial, is that most of my locals cannot be heard 20km north from my location. Here is an indoor bandscan from my location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NczIhVXrXOA , and another at the building of my secondary school, in Kiskunhalas:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2VLZ7xf3jk

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness »

Hello Ben. Great to see you here - and a very warm welcome! I hope you enjoy Skywaves.

Nick Gilly

Post by Nick Gilly »

A warm welcome from me too. Hungary seems to be well-placed for sporadic-E DX.
Good DX.

Nick, Whitchurch, Hampshire.

BW Broadcast RBRX Encore, Kenwood L-1000T, Yamaha T-2, Denon TU-800L, Kenwood KT-1100SD (modified), Yamaha T-85, Sony XDR-F1HD tuners, horizontal Körner 9.2 beam (Antennenland version), Yaesu G-450C rotator

Jim (Bournemouth)

Post by Jim (Bournemouth) »

Welcome, Ben, great to see some younger DXers coming through. We have a couple in our live chat room on Discord as well.

I will spare you the Monty Python based jokes...
Jim, Bournemouth, Dorset. IO90BR.

Elad FDM-S2, Perseus/FM+, Airspy HF+, SDRPlay, Funcube Dongle SDR Rx; 8-ele OP-DES for Band 2, 8-ele LFA 2m, 3 ele LFA for 6m, 20/15/10m dipole, VHF vertical

Chris Howles

Post by Chris Howles »

Welcome Ben!
Denon TU-1500RD X4, Rotel RT-955, Icom IC-R7100, Tescun PL390, Auna DAB, D100 TVDX conv
Homebrew 6 el modified Triax FM, Homebrew 3 el OIRT, vertical FM 3 el, FM dipoles facing SW and SSE, 3 el DAB
RDS Spy

Ben Smith

Post by Ben Smith »

Thanks for your kind words, I am hoping that I can be an useful and valuable member of this forum.
Jim (Bournemouth) wrote:
27 Jun 2020 10:00
I will spare you the Monty Python based jokes...
I like British humor,therefore I am ashamed that I have not watched the most of their shows/movies,owing to lack of free time.(it may change in this summer,if ES activity will be lower in July and August)

Anyway,on the 5th channel of our public media, "Yes,Minister" and "Yes,Prime Minister" were aired, I have watched all of its episodes,it is my favourite sitcom.

Jim (Bournemouth)

Monty Python is particularly British! This sketch always comes to mind when Hungary comes in here, I don't know if you've ever seen it:
https://youtu.be/C1Sw0PDgHU4

This came from a series of sketches put together to form "And now for smething Completely Different".

Elad FDM-S2, Perseus/FM+, Airspy HF+, SDRPlay, Funcube Dongle SDR Rx; 8-ele OP-DES for Band 2, 8-ele LFA 2m, 3 ele LFA for 6m, 20/15/10m dipole, VHF vertical

Andrew Webster,Wigan

Post by Andrew Webster,Wigan »

Welcome to the forum Ben.

Andy
Receiving equipment: 1 Sony ST-SE920, 1 Sony ST-SE700 1 Denon TU-1500RD 2 crossed FM 5s rotatable, 1 homemade FM 3 horizontal beaming S/E, 1 vertical FM 3 fixed beaming at Ireland,2 element OIRT,2 element band 1.

jotagarzon

Post by jotagarzon »

Hi Ben,
Welcome to Skywaves and thank you very much for your kind help with those Balcanic UNID stations you solved in my blog (I am IberiaDX from Spain).

I also love house and electronic music, although I am an eclectic related to music, as there are many interesting vibes out there to let them escape.

4 days ago I had another interesting opening to your area and Otvoreni came again with different transmitters. I will show you in the blog...

¡Buen DX y saludos! (Good DXing and 73!)
IberiaDX
Jorge Garzón. EB7EFA / EA1036 SWL
IN83ag Cantabria (Spain) / 43°15'N • 3°56'W
--
Rx: RSP1A/AirSpy HF+/Lowe HF 150/Sony SA3-ES-EE
Ant.: Fanfare FM-2G/Wellbrook 1530LN/5el SKT Yagi
Blog: http://iberiadx.wordpress.com

Ben Smith

Post by Ben Smith »

Jim (Bournemouth) wrote:
27 Jun 2020 22:13
Monty Python is particularly British! This sketch always comes to mind when Hungary comes in here, I don't know if you've ever seen it:
https://youtu.be/C1Sw0PDgHU4

This came from a series of sketches put together to form "And now for smething Completely Different".
I had not seen it before you suggested it,thank you,it made my day. Thanks Jim!
It is not related to this video, just came to my mind while I was watching this sketch, something like that could happen in real life when an average Hungarian tries to speak English. I mean that English education is at a very low level in my country, and the Hungarians foreign language knowledge rate is the lowest among EU member states,only 37 according to this article. ( https://444.hu/2018/06/08/magyarorszago ... et-tanulni)
For example, when I had an oral exam at school in English, (the topic was crime) an expression did not come to my mind,and the teacher told me to tell it in my mother tongue and she would translate it,but failed. (anyway,the expression i was looking for: "legal court") I just could not believe it that it happened at the best secondary school in my area 2 months before final exam. (I could write a lot of things that we committed against English language at my lessons ,but now I can not as still attending there,I love my school except for EN education) If it had not been for the private lessons,I would be writing this with Google Translator :D .
The other thing I would like to mention,is using Hungarian expressions in English. I do not know whether you are in touch with any Hungarians,I noticed that usually the loan translated forms of HNG expressions used instead of the appropriate EN one. (my favourite example from school is "learn from outside" instead of "learn by heart", from life is that once I heard a Hungarian wordplay being explained to an old Dutch man in English)
Personally, I hate using wrong language, I feel like it is disrespectful to native speakers,it is my reason for watching/listening to UK media outlets almost every day(Sky,BBC News, MTV etc...). I will not say that I can do my best as after 5-10 hours of DXing I always have serious problems even with my mother tongue. :D
jotagarzon wrote:
29 Jun 2020 06:10
Hi Ben,
Welcome to Skywaves and thank you very much for your kind help with those Balcanic UNID stations you solved in my blog (I am IberiaDX from Spain).

I also love house and electronic music, although I am an eclectic related to music, as there are many interesting vibes out there to let them escape.

4 days ago I had another interesting opening to your area and Otvoreni came again with different transmitters. I will show you in the blog...

¡Buen DX y saludos! (Good DXing and 73!)
IberiaDX
Hi!
It was a pleasure to identify those stations,as this area is not the most common among DXers in this year.(I have had only 5 good western openings in this year) I downloaded the latest version of SDRSharp to my laptop,so if you have any IQs with stations from my area,send me,I will check as soon as possible. (I suppose that you know my e-mail address)

What kind of house music do you love? I love almost every house genre,except for future/electro house. My favourite genre is deep house, but I am keen on tropical and club sounds too. I would like to be a DJ one day,but we have no DJ school in my area,or even a radio station with a DJ where I could learn,so nowadays I am just listening mixes and expanding my directory of house music. I got in touch with some DJs from my favourite Serbian radio station Radio AS FM,they were helping me during lockdown,but clubs have opened and I do not want to disturb them.

Anyway,do you know where can I find whole tracklist of Insomnia Radio Show on EuropaFM? Wally Lopez generally plays some beautiful house tunes,although he rarely mentions played tracks,the whole tracklist is unavailable.
(this is the best song he played in this month, the most underrated track i have ever seen : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp17aYfpCNk - it is a must listen, such a beauty)

Jim (Bournemouth)

Ben,

Your English is excellent, far better than my second language (French, which is pretty limited) or my third (Mandarin, for my wife is Chinese). Had you not said you were not English, I would not have guessed.

Ben Smith

Post by Ben Smith »

Jim (Bournemouth) wrote:
30 Jun 2020 07:23
Ben,

Your English is excellent, far better than my second language (French, which is pretty limited) or my third (Mandarin, for my wife is Chinese). Had you not said you were not English, I would not have guessed.
Thank you so much Jim,it is so kind of you.

(I decided to show this message to my mother when she is complaining about my MTV-watching habits again :lol: :lol: )

Return to “Introduce Yourself”