UK TV channel list (frequency, location, power ...) ??

General Discussion
Günter Lorenz
Site Admin

UK TV channel list (frequency, location, power ...) ??

Post by Günter Lorenz » 02 Aug 2019 10:24

While OFCOM has current files for AM, FM and DAB, the TV file seems rather outdated (2016). Is there a relaible source for current TV data? I'd like to check if our TVLIST section needs updating.
Any pointers are welcome.
Günter

daveB

Re: UK TV channel list (frequency, location, power ...) ??

Post by daveB » 03 Aug 2019 14:16

Here is a source of information for every UK DTV transmitter. https://ukfree.tv/maps/alphabetical
Unfortunately it is not a table of transmitters/freqencies - you have to access each transmitter's link (over 2000!)
When you scroll to the bottom of the transmitter's page there is a table of frequencies for the transmitter site, past, present, and future. There has been a seismic change in UK TV transmitter frequencies as well as the programmes carried, because th UK is losing the top end of the UHF band to 5G. Some of us have seen multiple changes over the last few years. Step one - channels 59 to 68 were lost, step 2 channels 54 - 59 are being lost. But long the way we got channels 34, 35, 37 and 38 back.

So updating TVList is going to be a big task as changes will go on into 2020. also

What it means is that hundreds of thousands of viewers could get much poorer Freeview reception because in the UK UHF TV transmitter site would use a closely spaced group of channels and aerials were designed for just part of the UHF band. For example - Crystal Palace used 21,23, 26, 30, 33 - and aerial Group A which was designed for Ch 21-34. Dover used 50, 53, 56, 66 and aerial group C/D.

On October 16 2019 Dover will switch to 33, 35, 36, 39, 42, 48 which would need what was called group K (ch 21 - 48) - Dover serves 190,000 households.

Check this chart of aerial gain characteristics https://www.aerialsandtv.com/_wp_genera ... _01_1a.jpg to see how the gain of a C/D aerial falls away. This web site is a good source of materials and equipment for DXers as well as 'normal' customers

Fortunately I installed a wideband Triax BB grid ages ago because I could get snowy analogue pictures from Crystal Palace so they can do what they like to the frequency allocations, although recently I added a 4 filter, and will probably have to replace it with a 5G filter in the future.

Back in the day I did TV-DXing on UHF channels 34 - 38 were favourites for checking as they were clear of TV - until Channel 5 came along and was allocated Ch35
Locatio: Sittingbourne, Kent JO01ji
SDRPlay, AirSpyMini, RTL dongles, SB920s, Yamaha TX930. 5 ele compact yagi 20ft agl - 120 deg. FM5 - 80 deg, FM5 -180 deg. OIRT dipole and 3-ele Moxon - 80 deg. Shielded magnetic loop 0.1-200 MHz

Return to “Television”