Report newsworthy items here
Tim Bucknall

Ofcom’s new “covid licence” category

Post by Tim Bucknall »

Expect to see more stations like Lockdown FM appearing

Cheadle FM, Cheshire should be starting today on 87.9 but no sign of them yet
And from here I would expect to hear them even if they were as qrp as 300mW

I don’t mind them having 87.9 its trashed here by Heart 88.0 anyway

The RSL thing was dying apart from during Ramadan so it might be nice to have some new low power dx targets around
Rx: Burkhardt Reuter RDR54D1, Elad FDM-S2, Airspy HF+ w/ HS Publications 6 Element R3 -R5 Yagi on rooftop rotator V/H polarization options. Pira P275 RDS analyser

theme

Re: Ofcom’s new “covid licence” category

Post by theme »

Licensing 87.9 in Cheshire with Heart Wrexham on 88 is criminal. Next up, Lockdown 106.2? Home 103.3?

Wonder why they're not licensing RSLs beyond the usual 87.7-87.9 range, wouldn't it be easier to license some LP on 99.2 for instance?
Probably scanning the band atm. And definitely complaining about the conditions.

satnipper

Post by satnipper »

Cheadle is effectively in South Manchester and is 65 km away from the low power Heart transmitter over the border in Wrexham. Nobody in South Manchester would be listening to Heart on 88 Mhz.

Julian Hardstone

Post by Julian Hardstone »

There is no sign of them on FM here, 4km away and I've not heard any test tx. The website https://cheadle.fm/ claims they have started today, but no longer names the host of the first show, and the online feed is some sort of looped test with news on the hour.

Julian Hardstone

Now on air, fair signal here with RDS CHEADLE
Wild variations in mod level

Tim Bucknall

Post by Tim Bucknall »

Very poor compared to the Ramadan station

I’m not sure I’d have found it without Julians tip

Modulation averaging around 33khz b/w on speech &
When i last checked a bit more on music.
I estimated power at around a watt considering the tx site
I presume it’s supposed to be more than that Eventually? unless cheadle is very compact and easy to cover?

I was vertical but beaming south for skip and and assumed I would see it when they signed on
But no, my aerial’s FB rejection In vertical is surprisingly good
Rx: Burkhardt Reuter RDR54D1, Elad FDM-S2, Airspy HF+ w/ HS Publications 6 Element R3 -R5 Yagi on rooftop rotator V/H polarization options. Pira P275 RDS analyser

Andrew Webster,Wigan

Post by Andrew Webster,Wigan »

Can't receive it here fortunately so that's good don't want any new stations here the thought of new stations occupying 87.7-9 fills me with dread lost a lot due to Ramadan on 87.7 so far this season.

Andy
Receiving equipment: 1 Sony ST-SE920, 1 Sony ST-SE700 1 Denon TU-1500RD 2 crossed FM 5s rotatable, 1 homemade FM 3 horizontal beaming S/E, 1 vertical FM 3 fixed beaming at Ireland,2 element OIRT,2 element band 1.

Tim Bucknall

Post by Tim Bucknall »

There’s also a covid station in colwyn bay on 87.7
power is very low

Andrew Webster,Wigan

Bayside radio is receivable noise free mono and the details are PS:BAYSIDE PI:00C0 for those who might receive it on Es or tropo as for the power well defo not low power as I am 71 km I would suggest 25 min probably higher.

Usually it's at PI level but last night it was at full RDS so could be a very short range tropo also the audio is very distorted badly
but at first it was in stereo but went to mono yesterday just hope no more start up thankfully it doesn't affect horizontal but vertical is messed up on 87.7.

Andy
Receiving equipment: 1 Sony ST-SE920, 1 Sony ST-SE700 1 Denon TU-1500RD 2 crossed FM 5s rotatable, 1 homemade FM 3 horizontal beaming S/E, 1 vertical FM 3 fixed beaming at Ireland,2 element OIRT,2 element band 1.

John Faulkner, Skegness
Site Owner

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness »

Do any of these stations actually broadcast useful information? I have heard they only play pop music.

satnipper

Post by satnipper »

I listened to Bayside for an hour on Sunday afternoon when it peaked up in the tropo lift here. It was playing music with a pretty amateur sounding DJ. No mention of C19 as far as I can recall.

Tim Bucknall

Post by Tim Bucknall »

Lockdown 100.7 does but cheadle doesn’t

Andrew Webster,Wigan

I have no mention on Covid 19 either just playing music last week they where broadcasting in mono now it's back to stereo.

Andy

John Faulkner, Skegness
Site Owner

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness »

Wonderful. Predictable, even.

Julian Hardstone

Cheadle FM ceased last Sunday, I suppose Lockdown and Bayside have also gone?

Tim Bucknall

Post by Tim Bucknall »

Ofcom just announced the extension of covid licenses til sept 5th

Surprised cheadle have gone

Andrew Webster,Wigan

Bayside 87.7 is still on air doh and was supposed to go of on 01/07/20 and now according to the latest list it's scheduled to go off on 15/07/20.
I haven't found any reference to Covid stations that they are going of on 05/09/20.

Andy

Andrew Webster,Wigan

Forgot to post the link for the Ofcom list.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/ ... 19-RSL.pdf

Andy

Return to “News”