FM-zerobase Denmark with many changes

Report newsworthy items here
PFM907

FM-zerobase Denmark with many changes

Post by PFM907 » 14 Feb 2019 09:01

Please be informed, that commercial operator "Bauer Media" has been playing roulette with all its FM stations. Without any announcement in advance, most frequencies have been changed! Keep in mind, that this will have a serious impact on FMDX !

Baby, what a big surprise: "Radio 100" is now back on 100.00 MHz for the "Storkobenhavn-Hovedstadetsomradet" area. Remember: Radio 100 FM by Talpa occupied this channel for many years, until 10 years ago it was taken over by Bauer Media and changed to Pop FM while the new Radio 100 was only provided on low power from now on. Now, it returns on 100.000 watts high powered FM !!!

Major changes from 2019:

-All frequencies of Pop FM do now carry "Radio 100" instead!

-Most frequencies of MyRock do now carry "Radio 100" instead, as well!

-Many frequencies, which were used by "Radio 100" before, are now used to provide "Pop FM"!

-Some frequencies of NOVA on Sealand have been changed (e.g. 106.2 is now PopFM), two out of five transmitters on Bornholm were turned off completely (104.6 + 107.4).

-Very few frequencies of "The Voice" in Jylland have been changed.

-Radio ALFA has withdrawn from Fyn, all frequencies do now belong to the Classic FM network!

Old frequencies: https://radioplay.dk/frekvenser/

New frequencies (dated 21st Jan.):
NOVA - https://radioplay.dk/nova/lokal/nyheder/lyttilnova/
Pop FM - https://radioplay.dk/pop-fm/livsstil/on ... -passer-3/
Radio 100 - https://radioplay.dk/radio-100/livsstil ... -passer-2/
The Voice - https://radioplay.dk/the-voice/underhol ... the-voice/
My Rock - https://radioplay.dk/myrock/livsstil/on ... -passer-4/
Radio Soft - https://radioplay.dk/radio-soft/livssti ... oft-helst/
Classic FM - https://classicfm.dk/hoer-os-her/
VLR - http://vlr.dk/frekvenser/
Skala FM - http://www.skala.fm/frekvens

Worth trying out:
The 300 meter mast on Fyn island (Sdr. Höjrup) does now host a new "Big guns":
90.6 Pop FM ~ 5 kW
Good luck during tropo:)

So do not begin to wonder if one frequency does not carry the programme you heard there before.
I do not quite get the sense in this, because most frequencies have been changed in early 2018, for the first time and now again.

As a result, some frequencies such as 95.6 FM have now the third operator on it within one and a half year!

My personal thoughts:
BM wants to strengthen pop radio "Radio 100" on the market to attack public P4. NOVA is, however, a clear attempt to take listeners from the local and regional chains.

Pop FM, which had 80s/90s disco music (similar to Star FM in Sweden) and many danish artists, cannot be received much longer here in Germany.
My Rock, which was a nice alternative can now not be heard at all as 89.7 + 106.1 are now part of the Radio 100 network.
Radio 100 which was heard quite well before, can now be heard on more frequencies than before and improved coverage dramatically.

All in one, a very disappointing development from my point of view...and listening. I am not interested in a radio station such as "Radio 100" playing the "best rest" from 80s, 90s and chart pop hits such as Pink or Ed Sheeran. If I want those, I can get it on Radio Soft.

Tim Bucknall

Re: FM-zerobase Denmark with many changes

Post by Tim Bucknall » 14 Feb 2019 09:48

oh god, i was sure i had skala on 87.6 this morning as it seemed // to the www are they even on the freq anymore?
Rx: Burkhardt Reuter RDR54D1, Elad FDM-S2, Airspy HF+ w/ CLP 5130 Log P ant on rooftop rotator V/H polarization options. Pira P275 RDS analyser

PFM907

Post by PFM907 » 14 Feb 2019 21:12

Yes, 87,6 Vejle is = SkalaFM (Vejle ads). Not much changes in Soenderjylland.

But e.g. 87,6 Radio ALFA is now Classic FM

Tim Bucknall

Post by Tim Bucknall » 15 Feb 2019 01:49

thanks PFM
Rx: Burkhardt Reuter RDR54D1, Elad FDM-S2, Airspy HF+ w/ CLP 5130 Log P ant on rooftop rotator V/H polarization options. Pira P275 RDS analyser

Julius63

Post by Julius63 » 16 Feb 2019 11:17

Thanks for the info, good to know. Yes, changes mostly lead to more of the same programmes on the airwaves. Here in Holland we had a nice surprise with Kink returning tot the DAB airwaves with its alternative music, replacing one of the Sublime channels.
Receivers:
General: Grundig satellit 650, Lowe HF-225, Tecsun PL660
FM: Sony XDR-S10HDip ands XDR-S3HD Degen De1103
DAB: Akai ADB10(2x),
All with telescope antenna, dipole and Loopantenna for mediumwave

nielsh

Post by nielsh » 06 Mar 2019 19:47

It has absolutely NOTHING to do with a Zerobase plan - POP FM's old License for FM6 in Denmark ran out 1. October 2018. Bauer Media got the License for Radio 100, and changed some Locale Networks to POP FM, espesially in Sealand area. Where Radio 100 had double coverage
But it's true Bauer Media has changed Stations on some Frequencies several times during 2018. And moved a lot of Frequencies to new Locations in 2018, to get better Coverage for larger Towns in DK, for their 5 radio brands.

Regarding Radio Alfa, it was the License "owner" that preffered another brand, now Classic FM instead of Radio Alfa.

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 06 Mar 2019 21:35

Wow! What a changing situation in Denmark. As you know, under the appropriate tropo conditions, I can receive many Danish outlets and not just the big guns. This is very useful information. Thank you Niels and welcome to the group!

Franco Martelli

Post by Franco Martelli » 07 Mar 2019 15:04

What do you mean by "zerobase plan/ Fm-zerobase" ?
Rxs: Degen DE-1103, Sangean ATS-909, and the newcomer Tecsun PL-398 MP

PFM907

Post by PFM907 » 07 Mar 2019 19:43

As Radio Diablo drives the advertisement sales for ex.-Radio ALFA Sydfyn, isn't it possible that Jysk-Fynske Media is behind Martin's change or at least that they did have a certain impact on his decision to stop with his Alfa-franchise? I do not have recent numbers of listeners, but ALFA is obviously running quite successful in the Oestjylland area for decades. How was their cifer on Fyn? Of course, Jysk-Fynske Mediaer have interest in creating a region-wide coverage for their second channel on all of their locations, by opening a backdoor for Classic FM (ex. Horsens Classic). This began after the take-over of Radio Mojn and continued by buying the Radio ALS licences. It is good music on Classic Fm, no doubt about that. But this does in fact have nothing to do with the original idea of local radio! At places like Odense, Vejle or Soenderborg you have now three chain radios: VLR, Skala and Classic FM with lots of overlay regarding the 90s (a little of them on all three chains) and especially a 50 % ident playlist between VLR and Skala FM while Skala FM has more energetic appearance and seems to target at a more female audience. I do not quite understand that the danish media bord and Kulturstyrelsen can accept this situation without any claim. For years, it is an on-going process that local radio is being killed by those grasshoppers invading the locals and buying all of their licenses. Successful stations like Radio Victor, Radio Mojn, Radio Horsens, Radio Holsted, Radio Als, Uptown, etc. have been shut down. Newspapers should stick to their key markets instead of trying to fish within the big player's pond! They are, and this is very obvious, not able to create successful local radio. But they are actually very good in semi-national chains playing exactly the same mix like Bauer does. SLR is a good example of how bad so-called local radio can sound like. No content.

I have seen some positive changes recently, like Radio Victoria, Radio Viva, Radio Varde or Radio Skanderborg being created as new local radio. But how long will this last? There are places with 3 Skala FM frequencies or even more. In Esbjerg, I am able to receive 5 of them. In Trekantenomradet you have tons of VLR and Classic FM in the car. The danish and dutch model of selling frequencies at auctions to the best bidder can be regarded as failure. Many operators have been losing in this airwave-war. And let's have a short look upon the FM-5 chain: SkyRadio, TV2Radio, Nova FM, NOVA... The FM6-chain carried Radio 100 FM, Radio 100, Pop FM, now Radio 100 again (with new jingles and slight changes in playlist). What a mess. I found back frequencies in my log that carried three different stations within one year: MyRock first, Radio 100 later, PopFM now. Or first it was THE VOICE, followed by Radio SOFT and now Radio 100. The listener is the loser with less variety, especially on the islands such as Aeroe, Langeland, Moen, Lolland and Falster. Pop FM coverage is complete shit now (93 MHz is destroyed by technical devices providing empty carriers), The Voice is almost useless in the car and MyRock is now only available in the Storkoebenhavn area. But if there is sunny weather, I can receive Radio Soft on 95 MHz, 99 MHz, 104.6 MHz, 107.1 MHz and 107.7 MHz. Radio 100 is actually on 89.7 MHz, 93.7 MHz, 100 MHz, 101.2 MHz, 103.2 MHz and 106.1 MHz. I am not even living near the coast, by the way, but about 20 kilometres away.

Danish DAB is going to waste as well. EB Radio with 100 % artists from Danmark and even many songs in Danish language and the on-going transformation of DR will bring the end to P6 Beat, P7 Mix and P8 Jazz which is a real loss to me. Danish radio is more and more useless to me. When I look back at logs from 2003 or 2005, I had about 20 different local stations at each place I stayed. Today, it is 7 and 5 are Bauer Media.

theme

Post by theme » 07 Mar 2019 22:00

Bauer Media buying out local stations? Not new, they've bought almost 100 local stations this year in the UK...
Probably scanning the band atm. And definitely moaning about the conditions.

PFM907

Post by PFM907 » 08 Mar 2019 00:58

In Denmark, its not Bauer buying them but the newspapers. Unable to drive local radio, losing their reading audience, fishing for some fresh air to breathe while drowning... Newspapers are doomed to death across most European countries. They ignored the online content market for too long.
Now, they have been starting up their own competition by online news pages. But if they do not take away their own paying paper audience by that, others will do. So they try to catch a little money in the radio business with news of 50 seconds total length and such "items" such as "mailbox exploded by fireworks" and "unknown vandalism: apple tree broken". Come on, this cant be serious. As they would not survive within their own small coverage area, they spread like cancer. Who needs VLR ("Vejle lokale radio") on the island of Fyn or at the west coast of Jutland? Real local radio is killed by that practice.

I dont get it anyway: The usual (and wide-spread practised) way is to just renew the license of the holder for the same period of time without any call for bids. It is a common procedure all over Europe, also here in Germany to re-new for another 5 or 8 years. Mostly, public does not even recognize. If not so in Danmark, why not just hand in another application for Pop FM on 100MHz? This station was more or less successful, is a well-known player within the market for decades and brought at least some little bit of variety with theme shows such as "The fat 80s". Instead, they make a total mess of the frequency situation and nobody finds back his favorite station.

Radio 100 is a complete failure, it was ever since it has been called Radio 100 FM - no matter if during Talpa or BM, when it was on 100.0 MHZ or on the low power network. When it had it studios in the city of KBH near the market square, I tried to visit them several times. Every time I tried, it was no body there. No matter what time or day. It was a 100 percent pre-recorded radio station that time. Well, their number was never so bad such as Skyradio or TV2 Radio, but it was not a break-through either. And dont remeber that it HAS BEEN on 100.00 MHz before Pop FM. Why now bring it back? It is 60 % of the same music aired on Radio Soft and Nova. More of the same sh. such as Pink, Charlie Puth or Ed Sheeran. Who needs this? I remeber Radio100 was running 100 percent without presentation and news at a certain point, as well as Nova Fm having song announcements made by a voice from the computer. Is this supposed to be called RADIO ? I do not even need spotify for this, a shuffle iPod would be enough.

And why keeping two AC formats driven on high power? INow, Radio 100 is a competetor for Nova in the Hovedstadsomradet. I keep on wondering for YEARS why THE HELL they do not put The Voice upon 103.9 . This is so easy: The VOICE is the only way to catch a younger target audience. AT least, Danmark HAS such a station for youngsters. Most German areas dont. So why not offer this to the clients and public?
This would be the best solution ever. Uptown had strong numbers with Urban Contemporary and if the recent Voice low power FM go to Nova, it would not even make a difference in the coverage of Nova in the Storkoebenhavn area and across Sealand. On the other hand, The VOICE could improve massive audience. And I had at least one good danish radio station to listen to. P3 and P4 are full of chart music recently, too. Especially the softpop on P4 and Nova...just am so sick of this.

Return to “News”