88.5 WHCF BANGOR MAINE TA FM NOW

Paul_Logan

88.5 WHCF BANGOR MAINE TA FM NOW

Post by Paul_Logan »

religious show // webstream just now - faded down at moment
Paul Logan
Fermanagh, N. Ireland

FMDX: RSP1A x 2 with 9 or 5 el Yagis / Elad FDM-S2.
"An rud is annamh is iontach"
Nick Gilly

Re: 88.5 WHCF BANGOR MAINE TA FM NOW

Post by Nick Gilly »

Praise God! A gift from the heavens!

Seriously, congrats again Paul. How long did the reception last?
Good DX.

Nick, Whitchurch, Hampshire.

BW Broadcast RBRX Encore receiver, horizontal Körner 9.2 beam (Antennenland version), Yaesu G-450C rotator
Paul_Logan

Post by Paul_Logan »

Three in the bag @ 1700

2021-07-22
MHz UTC ITU Program + Location Details Remarks km
88.50 1405 USA WHCF, Bangor (ME) Religious show, "Unlocking the Bible" Scottish preacher // web 4353km
89.70 1406 USA WMED, Calais (ME) Weak. End of wx report. Start of "On point" show. Fits with online edition. Brief. 4294km
92.90 1406 USA WEZQ, Bangor (ME) Sports talk, same time as 88.5 4390km. tx site 27 miles from WHCF

Also have something weak on 91.9 playing alternative music - suspect it to be WMEB, Orono, ME a 10 kw college station of the University of Maine. Will contact the station to see if I can match the music to their playlist.

--

Third reception of the USA on Fm for me. Last one was just 4409 days ago (26-6-2009)

Signals were weakish this time. The whole thing over in five minutes.

Not your every day DX.
Recordings later on.
Paul Logan
Fermanagh, N. Ireland

Paul_Logan

Post by Paul_Logan »

Nick Gilly wrote: 22 Jul 2021 17:06 Praise God! A gift from the heavens!

You said it man!

Five minutes in all Nick. Really didn't expect it today. I had the headphones on watching the maps, end of a weather report faded up over weak RTE and I hit record.

Feeling afterward: "Did that just really happen?!"
Paul Logan
Fermanagh, N. Ireland

pe1etr

Post by pe1etr »

All hail The Logan of Fermanagh!
Paul_Logan

Post by Paul_Logan »

Ha Peter!
Paul Logan
Fermanagh, N. Ireland

Ben Smith

Post by Ben Smith »

Stunning receptions!
Chris Howles

Post by Chris Howles »

Nice one Paul, cracking stuff!
Denon TU-1500RD X4, Rotel RT-955, Icom IC-R7100, Tescun PL390, Auna DAB, D100 TVDX conv
Homebrew 6 el modified Triax FM, Homebrew 2 el 64-105MHz, vert FM 2 el(ESE), horz FM 3el facing S mounted low, horz Triax 3el facing ESE mounted low
RDS Spy
John Faulkner, Skegness
Site Owner

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness »

I'm hoping to get stuff like that on MW soon. But on FM? Well, still a dream.

What can I say? A breathtaking log once again! :)
Paul_Logan

Post by Paul_Logan »

Thanks Ben, Chris and John!

--

Managed to add another to the log.

90.90 1406 USA WMEH, Bangor (ME) NPR reference, weather forecast, fighting semi local, Brief peaks. 4390km

Also PI code from WHCF on 88.5 formed at VERY low level.
see:

https://twitter.com/FMDXIreland/status/ ... 73/photo/1
Paul Logan
Fermanagh, N. Ireland

Paul_Logan

Post by Paul_Logan »

Two recordings from yesterday:

Signals are weak, so, headphones.

88.5 WHCF Bangor, ME, USA: 00:29 " Welcome to Unlocking the Bible"
https://app.box.com/s/58w69ru0vzpsstsk59bftszaozt5n4x9

92.90 WEZQ, Bangor, Maine, Sports talk
https://app.box.com/s/6tu5qam82de3jjmn34l1t9oqjvpxfg17
Paul Logan
Fermanagh, N. Ireland

daveB

Post by daveB »

Mad moment - this popped into mind just now. "Didn't he have a lovely day, the day he heard from Bangor" :D. [The older DXers should remember the original pop song].
SDRPlay, AirSpyMini, RTL dongles, ST311, Yamaha TX930. 5 ele yagi 20ft agl - 70 deg. FM5 - 80 deg, 5.1 Yagi 16ft agl - 120 degFM5 -180 deg. Vert 3-ele Moxon - 80 deg. Shielded magnetic loop 0.1-200 MHz - 10 ft agl
Rolands Strautmalis

Post by Rolands Strautmalis »

Congratulations Paul! This year you have all directions... almost all. 73!
Receivers: ELAD FDM-S2, Sony XDR-F1HD, Airspy Mini, antennas: AR-9 (9 element yagi, vertical, 11,2 m above the ground), Körner 9.2 (horizontal, 9,8 m above the ground)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCapJkp ... V54YVZ9rCQ
Ben Smith

Post by Ben Smith »

Rolands Strautmalis wrote: 27 Jul 2021 14:48 This year you have all directions... almost all. 73!
I am convinced that he has had all directions this year,because a direction that Paul Logan does not get is simply inexistent :lol:
John Faulkner, Skegness
Site Owner

Can you remind us of your receiving equipment please? I don't believe you have a 1000 element heavily modified beam high on a mast on the coast, etc. And I am asking this for a good reason.
Paul_Logan

Post by Paul_Logan »

I have a Korner 9 element @ about 8 metres John.

That feeds two rsp1a's both bought second hand. I can't remember how much I paid for the first one but the last one was £60.

This allows me to record two blocks of 6.6 mhz at full sensitivity at a time.

The rsp1a's beat the pants off the Elad FDM S2 in terms of sensitivity but don't do as well at signal handling when beaming directly at the local BBC transmitter. Luckily it's north of me and I'm very seldom pointing at it.

I have had better results than this season on even smaller antennas. My 5 and 6000 + km logs from 2003 -2009 - 2010/ 2014 happened while using a 4 element yagi.

About location - hahaha - some might be surprised that I'm actually in a valley and surrounded on most sides. I'm only really fully clear to my south west.

Do I have a clear dial? Absolutely not. In fact my bottom of band is more crowded than a lot of people's as I have multiple outlets of RTE and BBC to contend with.

Most TA frequencies at the bottom of band are blocked here. Even 88.5 can be trouble when there is mild enhancement.

--

So I would humbly say to anyone getting into FMDXing: You don't need to jump in with a £1000 sdr. You don't need a very large antenna. You don't need a perfect location, you just need to watch the maps, be dedicated, get to know the "lay of the land" and learn to love Spanish openings - because there will me many more of those than the "exotic" stuff.

Thank God we don't control any of this - if we did it would get very boring very quickly.
Paul Logan
Fermanagh, N. Ireland

Paul_Logan

Post by Paul_Logan »

Rolands Strautmalis wrote: 27 Jul 2021 14:48 Congratulations Paul! This year you have all directions... almost all. 73!
A good year indeed Rolands. Thanks!

It has been fun.
Paul Logan
Fermanagh, N. Ireland

John Faulkner, Skegness
Site Owner

Thanks for the details Paul. I didn't know you had a Korner 9. That's certainly a little more directional than my 5 element FM5s, but it's diminishing returns of course. I don't have my Korner 9.2 very high at home because 1. It weighs a small ton on the mast (and took three of us to get it up!) and 2. I prefer it lower down for MS, etc. as I get less ground wave from UK stations, as I've mentioned only recently in another thread.

So four elements for the 6000+ km DX? Wow! Who needs tons of metal in the skies? You say you've had better results this season with your smaller antennas. I've always argued that the biggest part of our hobby is luck. i.e. being in the right place at the right time, but there's more to it than that. Studying the propagation as you do is something I don't really bother with too much, other than to check FM List's maps, but I don't do that all the time. I am more of a 'switch the radio on and see what's happening' kind of DXer. I have become too relaxed about this sort of thing in recent years. Having too many elements in an antenna means that you could easily miss so much if it's off beam.

You are right about the Elad FDM-S2 being on the deaf side, which sorts out that problem. There's still barely any overload off the Peterborough mast here in SE Lincolnshire when I beam at it.

Great stuff Paul.
Paul_Logan

Post by Paul_Logan »

About antennas - again, I have had better results than those achieved this season with smaller antennas in 2009 / 2010 / 2014. That's propagation. No number of elements can receive what isn't there. But when propagation IS there- even small antennas work.

I'm also in the "keep the antenna down a bit" camp. Helps reduce my locals.

On luck...

Luck is random or a one off. Luck is when things go your way without any knowledge of what will improve your chances or without you actively seeking to improve your chances.

I'm now on TA event #9. I'd call that something of a pattern :-)

Lets say there are 100 days in a season with the possibility of E skip. And on each day lets say there are 13 hours in which E skip can occur. Thats 1300 hours. 78,000 minutes.

This season if I include Greenland I have had TA reception for 75 minutes.

Thats less than 0.01% of the season.

It's a small but very pleasant return on an investment of time and effort, but it's not luck.
Paul Logan
Fermanagh, N. Ireland

KPC850

Post by KPC850 »

Paul,
playing with google maps
Truskmore Mountain (home of a main FM/TV site for RTE etc) appears to be probably in-line with you and Maine, USA. Do you have a clear path to the top of Truskmore?

Just wondering might the signal have been diffracting over the top of Truskmore ??? , a case of a distant mountain helping DX reception?

The top of Truskmore, height 647m (2,123 ft), and is just approx 10km from the coast and having a clear path out to sea in that direction (Maine), perhaps the signal may only have been present at such a height there, a small bit bends over the mountain top (but enough for you to receive with your high-gain setup approx 40miles /65km away ) on the other side.

Return to “VHF Band 2, OIRT & DAB”