Azores (was assumed Portuguese) FM reception South West Ireland last week (9th July 2020)

KPC850

Azores (was assumed Portuguese) FM reception South West Ireland last week (9th July 2020)

Post by KPC850 »

Portuguese FM reception South West Ireland last week (Thurs 9th July 2020) just after 6PM. (I know its nearly a week ago, I meant to post this a bit sooner)

On an XHDATA 808 whilst stopped hill walking (around here: 51.9529714,-9.9412795 -not exact , but within 100 meters I'd say after consulting google maps, had no GPS with me) I received:

90.5 (not good enough for RDS, sounded Portuguese speech not Spanish)
95.2 (not good enough for RDS, as above)
96.7 ANTENA 1 (RDS)
105.8 ANTENA 2 (RDS)

Propagation seemed to be tropo, it was there over a few minutes with slow fades in and out, not Sp-E (which would be more rapid fading)

Came in best with aerial horizontalish - (which would reduce strength of nearby adjacent signals which are Vertical only, I assume these Portuguese stations are mixed polarisation). The surrounding terrain would have reduced some relatively nearby signals on adjacent frequencies.

I would not have had a clear path out to sea in the direction of Portugal - another mountain peak in that direction some miles away.

BTW: holding the radio up against a very long fence beside where I was stopped hugely improved medium wave reception - (despite the fence being in contact with the ground). The daytime MW band is otherwise very quiet around there!
Several aero beacons could be heard on LW using the fence - such as 347 kHz Newquay and a number of surviving Irish ones (like 339, 364, 384 ).

Nick Gilly

Re: Portuguese FM reception South West Ireland last week (9th July 2020)

Post by Nick Gilly »

Hi there.

This is in fact probably more interesting than you think. What's the take-off like more to the SW, rather than south? Because it looks like those stations came not from the Portuguese mainland, but the Azores. Antena 2 on 105.8 is from Horta (there are no Antena 2 txes on 105.8 on the Portuguese mainland). 90.5 and 95.2 are Azores frequencies that I have received here via E-skip, and I suspect you had RTP Antena 1 Açores from Serra de Santa Bárbara on 90.5 and Rádio Renascença from Pico da Barrosa on 95.2.

Which leaves 96.7 for Antena 1. There is a powerful tx of Antena 1 on the Portuguese mainland, but with the other reception I suspect is is actually RTP Antena 1 Açores from Pico Alto de Santa Maria.

That is superb tropo ducting, especially using a portable! I know the Azores have been received in north Devon via tropo as well (October 2015?), and the tropo down to the SW of the UK can be very intense and reach all the way down to the Cape Verde Islands off the coast of west Africa. You live in an ideal location to take advantage of this duct. Reception of Madeira and the Canary Islands via tropo should also be possible.

Congratulations on some superb DX.
Good DX.

Nick, Whitchurch, Hampshire.

BW Broadcast RBRX Encore, Kenwood L-1000T, Yamaha T-2, Denon TU-800L, Kenwood KT-1100SD (modified), Yamaha T-85, Sony XDR-F1HD tuners, horizontal Körner 9.2 beam (Antennenland version), Yaesu G-450C rotator

Tim Bucknall

Post by Tim Bucknall »

congratulations John,
seems like a great spot for a transatlantic dxpedition with masts etc
who is with me?
Rx: Burkhardt Reuter RDR54D1, Elad FDM-S2, Airspy HF+ w/ HS Publications 6 Element R3 -R5 Yagi on rooftop rotator V/H polarization options. Pira P275 RDS analyser

KPC850

Post by KPC850 »

Nick,

thanks for looking into this. Whilst I mistakenly assumed Portugal - I was at the same time puzzled as to why I had no Spanish FM signals (from north-west Spain) also.

(I don't live near there - I'm about 80 miles drive away BTW)

from there I was looking at other mountains in nearly all directions except in one direction
to the south-west - where I had a clear run out to sea about 15 miles away (Ballinskelligs Bay) - which I'd say is indeed in the direction of the Azores.

And that wire fence I mentioned I was right beside was helping H polarisation reception (acting as a reflector, The Azores would have been to a right angle of the fence)

I did make a short video of the 105.8 reception, I might try to put it up..

Tim Bucknall

Post by Tim Bucknall »

Have you worked out the distance to the Azores yet?

What elevation is this hot dx spot?

Using a barbed wire fence as a reflector at band 2, genius!
I wish I’d known that trick in my hilltopping days
Rx: Burkhardt Reuter RDR54D1, Elad FDM-S2, Airspy HF+ w/ HS Publications 6 Element R3 -R5 Yagi on rooftop rotator V/H polarization options. Pira P275 RDS analyser

John Faulkner, Skegness
Site Owner

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness »

Amazing reception! Looks like you've discovered a prime location for Atlantic tropo.

KPC850

Post by KPC850 »

Here is the video of this reception.
The video is reception of 105.8MHz Antena2

I have created a bitchute account as recommended here for DX videos:

https://www.bitchute.com/video/BoD70HgxIMPp/

THis is the only video I made of the Azores reception (on phone which was running low on memory) - also a still picture of 96.7 with RDS 'ANTENA 1' appears as the cover

Return to “VHF Band 2, OIRT & DAB”