New 68th DXCC country on FM

Rolands Strautmalis

New 68th DXCC country on FM

Post by Rolands Strautmalis »

Yesterday was that happy day when I managed to hear and identify a new country for me. The French RMC was received from the Col de la Madone transmitter on 98,5 MHz. Col de la Madone refers to Monaco in both ITU and DXCC.
https://youtu.be/VRIBwu0eDjU

The last replenishment of the collection of countries was in 2017, when Jordan was first received.

By the way, Kazakhstan was received for the first time on the Band 2 the day before.
https://youtu.be/JOyEzckutpk

73!
Receivers: ELAD FDM-S2, Sony XDR-F1HD, Airspy Mini, antennas: AR-9 (9 element yagi, vertical, 11,2 m above the ground), Körner 9.2 (horizontal, 9,8 m above the ground)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCapJkp ... V54YVZ9rCQ
Patrick73

Re: New 68th DXCC country on FM

Post by Patrick73 »

Hi Roland,

Congrats on these nice catches.

Col de la Madone indeed refers to MCO but it's actually located in France (https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89met ... _la_Madone).
Thus, from a geographical point of view, TX is on the french territory.
Patrick
Main interests : NDB, MW & FM DX'ing
REU Editor http://www.classaxe.com/dx/ndb/reu
John Faulkner, Skegness
Site Owner

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness »

This caught me out too. I have never received Monaco on FM. They do use FM frequencies but I don't know which.
Rolands Strautmalis

Patrick73 wrote: 25 Jun 2020 10:46 Hi Roland,

Congrats on these nice catches.
Thank you!
Col de la Madone indeed refers to MCO but it's actually located in France (https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89met ... _la_Madone).
Thus, from a geographical point of view, TX is on the french territory.
I understand that very well! However it wasn’t me who invented such a division of ITU.
John Faulkner, Skegness wrote: 25 Jun 2020 10:48 This caught me out too. I have never received Monaco on FM. They do use FM frequencies but I don't know which.
There are in use even two 1 kW ERP transmitters from the territory of Monaco on 106,3 and 107,4. I have not yet found them in my records even during the excellent RDS signal from Nice at 103,4.

73!

P. S. Correction, 107,4 is inactive. Sorry!
73!
Receivers: ELAD FDM-S2, Sony XDR-F1HD, Airspy Mini, antennas: AR-9 (9 element yagi, vertical, 11,2 m above the ground), Körner 9.2 (horizontal, 9,8 m above the ground)

PFM907

Post by PFM907 »

first of all I would like to congratulate to this spectacular catches. the KAZ recording is exciting, with amazing strength and perfect clarity. never had this country on FM. outstanding log!

Monaco-Monte Carlo has those:
88,2 Radio Maria Italia (reported to be off)
92,7 RMC Montecarlo Due (listed as "blank carrier" but also as "inactive" at the same time)
94,5 Radio Pitchoun (100 watts listed for Avenue Hector Otto tx. site in Monaco ville)
95,1 RTL 2 Cote d´ azur (100 watts listed for Musée oceanographique tx. site in Monaco ville)
96,7 Radio Ethic (50 watts listed for Avenue Hector Otto tx. site in Monaco ville)
98,8 RMC Info (100 watts listed for Immeuble Herculis tx. site in Monaco ville)
99,1 105 Network (30 watts listed for Avenue Hector Otto tx. site in Monaco ville)
102,1 off-air
103,3 Erre di esse (400 watts listed for Musée oceanographique tx. site in Monaco ville)
104,5 Cherie FM (100 watts listed for Musée oceanographique tx. site in Monaco ville)
106,3 Riviera Radio (1 kW isted for Musée oceanographique tx. site in Monaco ville)
107,4 RMC Radiomontecarlo (1 kW listed for Immeuble Herculis site but marked inactive)

the rest is located in France but belongs to ITU region Monaco-Monte Carlo

from all of those (mostly chain networks) , 106.3 FM seems to be the most fascinating one, as it is a local station with only 2 FM frequencies in total, plus it was 1000 watts . if free, you might try this one.

RMC Info has no local output, it is the same programme as in Paris or elsewhere
theme

Post by theme »

PFM907 wrote: 25 Jun 2020 21:18 first of all I would like to congratulate to this spectacular catches. the KAZ recording is exciting, with amazing strength and perfect clarity. never had this country on FM. outstanding log!

Monaco-Monte Carlo has those:
88,2 Radio Maria Italia (reported to be off)
92,7 RMC Montecarlo Due (listed as "blank carrier" but also as "inactive" at the same time)
94,5 Radio Pitchoun (100 watts listed for Avenue Hector Otto tx. site in Monaco ville)
95,1 RTL 2 Cote d´ azur (100 watts listed for Musée oceanographique tx. site in Monaco ville)
96,7 Radio Ethic (50 watts listed for Avenue Hector Otto tx. site in Monaco ville)
98,8 RMC Info (100 watts listed for Immeuble Herculis tx. site in Monaco ville)
99,1 105 Network (30 watts listed for Avenue Hector Otto tx. site in Monaco ville)
102,1 off-air
103,3 Erre di esse (400 watts listed for Musée oceanographique tx. site in Monaco ville)
104,5 Cherie FM (100 watts listed for Musée oceanographique tx. site in Monaco ville)
106,3 Riviera Radio (1 kW isted for Musée oceanographique tx. site in Monaco ville)
107,4 RMC Radiomontecarlo (1 kW listed for Immeuble Herculis site but marked inactive)

the rest is located in France but belongs to ITU region Monaco-Monte Carlo

from all of those (mostly chain networks) , 106.3 FM seems to be the most fascinating one, as it is a local station with only 2 FM frequencies in total, plus it was 1000 watts . if free, you might try this one.

RMC Info has no local output, it is the same programme as in Paris or elsewhere
Same as those Italian stations, there certainly isn't any local programming, news and ads. (R)MC2 being off might be because their owner recently changed and can't keep up with the costs of such a station, that's pretty much only present in "luxury" areas, such as Porto Cervo, Portofino...
Probably scanning the band atm. And definitely complaining about the conditions.
Rolands Strautmalis

PFM907 wrote: 25 Jun 2020 21:18 first of all I would like to congratulate to this spectacular catches. the KAZ recording is exciting, with amazing strength and perfect clarity. never had this country on FM. outstanding log!
Thank you for rating!
Speaking of Kazakhstan, while there are too few active transmitters on the lower frequencies of the CCIR FM band for a single hop. I used to hear this country quite often in the OIRT range in the past.

-----

Even if my colleagues believe that I don't have the right to consider that I have received Monaco, I am pleased with this sporadic season - I identified 40 DXCC countries without Monaco. Almost only on weekends. Number 40 - Kazakhstan, number 39 - Kosovo. Double hops with over 2700 km were received this year from Iraq and Spain.

73!

Franco Martelli

Post by Franco Martelli »

Rolands Strautmalis wrote: 25 Jun 2020 09:39 Yesterday was that happy day when I managed to hear and identify a new country for me. The French RMC was received from the Col de la Madone transmitter on 98,5 MHz. Col de la Madone refers to Monaco in both ITU and DXCC.
Hello Rolands, is it the 68th country received through Es or it's the 68th overall (including tropo, MS, AS and other possible modes)?
Rxs: Degen DE-1103, Sangean ATS-909, Tecsun PL-398 MP

My channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtNuV7 ... 5CKqZ5dyIQ :)
Franco Martelli

Post by Franco Martelli »

PFM907 wrote: 25 Jun 2020 21:18
I am maybe one of the happy few who received a "real" Monaco tx: I received these two through tropo from the Thyrrenian Coast, some years ago (it's about 245 Kms from Monaco).

I received also (back in 2015) a 102.4 of Rire & Chansons: at the time of reception it was listed as coming from the Jardin Botanique of Monaco (with a power of 100 watts), now it's listed as coming from Mont Agel with 400 w.
I don't know if the old entry was wrong or if that outlet has been moved from one location to the other after my reception.
Rxs: Degen DE-1103, Sangean ATS-909, Tecsun PL-398 MP

My channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtNuV7 ... 5CKqZ5dyIQ :)
Rolands Strautmalis

Franco Martelli wrote: 26 Jun 2020 11:04 Hello Rolands, is it the 68th country received through Es or it's the 68th overall (including tropo, MS, AS and other possible modes)?
It's 68th overall. 62 is number of received countries through Es. The 6 nearest countries are received via tropo (Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Belarus, Åland and Kaliningrad), as well as some of these 6 also via MS and AS. The total number of my tropo countries (DXCC) is 18.
73!

Paul_Logan

Post by Paul_Logan »

Well done on your catches Rolands.

It gets more difficult with time adding another DXCC on FM. I am on 68. 64 via E skip.

75 is my target - I think I will be waiting some time!!
I can't remember the last time I heard a new country.

I think we need some new way of calculating "DXCC" for FM though.

For Example a DXer in the USA or Canada could hear signals 4000 km away and still only have 1 or 2 DXCC. Meanwhile at my QTH I can hear 5 DXCC on any afternoon with almost no propagation conditions within 300 km.

--

I also had Monaco via the Jardin Botanique in the past.

Andorra I have had this year (and a few times previously) Vatican and San Marino have been easy in the past.
Gibraltar is surprisingly difficult - despite regularly hearing that area I have not heard it in many years.
Ceuta / Melilla is more common, always a thrill to hear.

The most difficult in Europe (if not Monaco) has to be Liechtenstein - which i think JF has had this year. Never heard here, exceptionally rare.

Some more obvious countries just elude me.
Despite Dxing since 1983 I have never heard Russia on the FM band!
Paul Logan
Fermanagh, N. Ireland

FMDX: RSP1A x 2 with 9 or 5 el Yagis / Elad FDM-S2.
"An rud is annamh is iontach"
Rolands Strautmalis

Paul_Logan wrote: 28 Jun 2020 19:53 Well done on your catches Rolands
Thank you!
It gets more difficult with time adding another DXCC on FM
Totally agree with you.
I am on 68. 64 via E skip.

75 is my target
Good luck with this!
I would like to know how many DXCC other European colleagues have, who calculate this. I know that Volodimir Doroshenko from Ukraine has 74 DXCC, but unfortunately he left FM DX.
I think we need some new way of calculating "DXCC" for FM though
Are there any specific ideas?

-------

At last I offer recordings of my 69th DXCC country San Marino received on 26th July, both on the frequencies of semilocal transmitters from the capital of Latvia at 68 and 65 km.
102,7 Radio San Marino, Monte Titano, 1709 km
103,2 San Marino Classic, Monte Titano, 1709 km

This year I received 57 DXCC.
Sporadic E - 49 DXCC; 4 DXCC via double hop, Minimum Es distance 806 km, maximum Es distance 3017 km.
Tropo - 12 DXCC; 11 stations from the distance more than 1000 km, maximum distance 1027 km.

73!

Paul_Logan

Post by Paul_Logan »

Rolands Strautmalis wrote "Are there any specific ideas?"

I just think DXCC entities are a good start for "FM countries" but also I think republics and states within large countries like the US, Canada, Australia, Russia, China, India should count as different "FM countries"

For example at present a Dxer in Shanghai could hear Kashgar, Xinjiang @ 4100 km and still only claim his own Country.
Or a DXer in San Diego might hear Boston over the same kind of distance and only claim their own country (the same as hearing a station 100 km away)

It seems very unfair compared to say my own situation where I can hear 6 DXCC on any given day with minimal effort.

--

If north American states and provinces were separate "FM countries" it would bring my numbers up by 10 - so I wouldn't complain!

--

In any situation and I'm not sure who would decide these things but every effort should be made to encourage beginners and people with simple set ups to make small goals achieveable.
Paul Logan
Fermanagh, N. Ireland

FMDX: RSP1A x 2 with 9 or 5 el Yagis / Elad FDM-S2.
"An rud is annamh is iontach"
Rolands Strautmalis

Paul_Logan wrote: 30 Nov 2020 13:16 but also I think republics and states within large countries like the US, Canada, Australia, Russia, China, India should count as different "FM countries"
---
If north American states and provinces were separate "FM countries" it would bring my numbers up by 10 - so I wouldn't complain!
... Would you complain if those regions of Russia that I received here were counted to my DXCC countries?! I have received from Russia on FM (including OIRT, of course) 59 of the existing 85 subjects and one abolished. + 60 FM countries? Ok, + 57, since Russia already represents three DXCC. It won't be fair again...

So this mechanism must be different.

73!

Return to “VHF Band 2, OIRT & DAB”