Scatter Conditions

John Faulkner, Skegness

Scatter Conditions

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 03 Mar 2015 11:16

After putting the pre-amp on the mast I wanted to listen around the band to see if I can notice any difference, but this time of year doesn't lend itself to providing the best scatter.

Langeneberg, the most regular German transmitter here, was low in strength yesterday and never got out of the noise, but Steinkimmen, for some reason, was rolling in very nicely, over and over again on aircraft scatter. Nothing else continental was breaking through in this way and I think this just confirms just how unpredictable this hobby is. This was a typical peak from Antenne Niederdsachsen on 105.7, recorded at 1355 yesterday afternoon.

http://youtu.be/wlwUnBIxU_g

By 1900 Steinkimmen was absent.

Alex Cator

Re: Scatter Conditions

Post by Alex Cator » 06 Mar 2015 14:24

Down here, also some scatter, with weak Egem, Crystal Palace and Croydon, with BBC London 94.9 as the highlight. Also, more surprisingly, RFM from Saint-Omer on 97.2, with an ID 'RFM prefere'? That was on the Ford Fiesta car radio.
Been moving house today, to a new house in East Harling where there is more West Norfolk/Cambs/Manningtree activity, but Bouvigny doesn't seem as strong on the Tecsun, despite some Bouvigny in the garden, but none in the house. With my tuners, all I have is the Philex ribbon wire antenna, but I want to get the Triax FM3 running ASAP. That will really enhance my French (Dutch/German/Belgian/Spanish/Swiss as well?) scatter, as long as I point away from the direction of the Cambridgeshire borders, which are only 30 miles away from me.
Home: Sony ST-SB920 (modified), Sony XDR-S10HDiP, Onkyo T-4970, Ford 5000 RDS, horizontal Triax FM3
Mobile: Ford Fiesta (Style, 2013) and Ford Focus (2012) car radios
Portable: Tecsun PL-390, Grundig G5 (2 x 110kHz), Etón G8

Alex Cator

Post by Alex Cator » 06 Mar 2015 18:02

The reception near the new house is very good. The back of the garden has a gate that leads into a field, and the scatter signals from Lille are nice there, but with some fading, at this time of the day with high pressure. France Info on 105.2 was the strongest, with noise-free peaks, and there was a jingle ID, and the jingle can be found at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N29yqQLiVE0. France Bleu Nord (94.7) was very weak, and France Inter (103.7) was a little weaker than France Info, as it uses less power than France Info, but Inter had less interference, as Zack FM from Mildenhall use 105.3, and 103.7 is a completely clear channel, despite being a popular Tacolneston inter-modulation frequency on some radios. Norfolk's FM band is very quiet, hence it allows space for foreign stations. Forgot to mention, I did have VRT Radio 2 (from Egem, 98.6) at similar strength to France Inter 103.7 in some spots, but swamped by BBC R1 from Madingley (also the source of Heart Cambridgeshire 103.0, yet another pest) in others.
What was weird was that Lille was at its best when I pointed the Tecsun's whip at 40 degrees azimuth, which is not correct azimuth for Lille/Bouvigny. As I made the whip horizontal in order to get Lille, the whip was directional.
Considering Breckland is an inland district of Norfolk, my reception is just EXCELLENT, being in the eastern half of the district must help, as the western half has a border with Cambridgeshire. The continentals reach nicely into non-coastal Norfolk, as can be told by the good reception in East Harling, and also France Info on 105.2 is there on the Tecsun at the Mile Cross dump (troposcatter on flat CDX) in Norwich, but not on the car radio. Just wonder how far France Info (105.2) gets into Cambridgeshire with a good setup? Ely/Wisbech area would be my best spot of Cambs for DX, but I wonder how far it gets into there, as even continental tropo dies out by King's Lynn, on the car radio. John Faulkner in Skegness (much further from the continent than me) gets continental daily signals, but being on the coast must help.
Home: Sony ST-SB920 (modified), Sony XDR-S10HDiP, Onkyo T-4970, Ford 5000 RDS, horizontal Triax FM3

Alex Cator

Post by Alex Cator » 06 Mar 2015 18:15

Forgot to mention, there is tropo, so the reception is probably going to be worse normally, but still possible.

Return to “VHF Band 2, OIRT & DAB”