2019 Es Season winding down

daveB

Re: 2019 Es Season winding down

Post by daveB » 23 Sep 2019 09:29

Hmmm. There's also this alleged log on September 21st of Radio Dacha from deepest Siberia on 87.5, logged in Germany on a Tecsun PL-660! There is a recording here:
If you ask me it's a static iTrip rebroadcasting the web stream. There's no Es-type QSB on that clip.
Alternatively you could achieve the same effect by mixing the output from an empty FM channel (all hiss) with a webstream.

BTW - when I posted my observation I was expecting the "it is a fake" response. I actually checked the fmlist visual log every day back to August and the person only began logging from the beginning of September.
Locatio: Sittingbourne, Kent JO01ji
SDRPlay, AirSpyMini, RTL dongles, SB920s, Yamaha TX930. 5 ele compact yagi 20ft agl - 120 deg. FM5 - 80 deg, FM5 -180 deg. OIRT dipole and 3-ele Moxon - 80 deg. Shielded magnetic loop 0.1-200 MHz

Tim Bucknall

Post by Tim Bucknall » 24 Sep 2019 11:01

Regarding upgrades for next season,me too
I’m going to replace the vhf/uhf log with a narrowband FM ant
It will either be the korner 15.11 or a Garry Smith 76-94mhz 6 element
Rx: Burkhardt Reuter RDR54D1, Elad FDM-S2, Airspy HF+ w/ HS Publications 6 Element R3 -R5 Yagi on rooftop rotator V/H polarization options. Pira P275 RDS analyser

tomas112
Location: La Laguna, Tenerife, or El Hierro Island, Canary Islands

Post by tomas112 » 21 Oct 2019 11:49

Hi all
I'm afraid my answer will be short. This finished 2019 season has been very disappointing, at least for my Atlantic location. Since practicing FMDX it has been, by far, the worst year. To my misfortune, in recent years I am appreciating a significant decrease in sporadic-e over the Atlantic. Some colleague commented on it recently ..., the improvement of my devices is inversely proportional to the results in recent years. I hope the trend changes. The only good thing is that for the next 2020 season I have installed, in my remote station, a tower for the directive antenna, I hope the results improve.
Regards.
Tomás González, Tenerife, CNR (E). RSP2Pro, FDM-S2, RKB Log-periodic 10 elem.
ARS-USB, Hy-Gain HAM-IV Antenna Rotator, SDRSharp V1361, RDS Spy V1.02 & 1.03
Remote station: El Hierro Island, Canary Islands
Blog: http://feantenna.blogspot.com/

Tim Bucknall

Post by Tim Bucknall » 15 Nov 2019 19:53

The latest Reflexion magazine (290) just arrived
It covers the end of the E Season from August 11

Seeing the logs on the page always puts things into perspective
My meteor scatter takes up several pages and pads out the log.
In previous years when we had it bad here our German friends still did well, not this year

Still despite the overall decline the proportion of exotics seemed to remain.
Greece counts as exotic up here btw!

I’d forgotten about the day when I had an opening to Greece and got Radio Hronos 87.5 and other person firsts when nobody else was logging anything and the map was empty
I was recording for meteor and caught it by accident.

I wonder what else we missed when we gave up listening because conditions were crap
Rx: Burkhardt Reuter RDR54D1, Elad FDM-S2, Airspy HF+ w/ HS Publications 6 Element R3 -R5 Yagi on rooftop rotator V/H polarization options. Pira P275 RDS analyser

Return to “VHF Band 2, OIRT & DAB”