meteor pings help

phill50

meteor pings help

Post by phill50 » 14 Dec 2014 18:03

hi all name phill live in wales just wondering love to hear meteor pings got fun cube dongle pro + and dipole for vhf and hf long wire
wonder if I can receive them on that equipment also what's best frequency's to listen to for chance any help most appreciated phill

John Faulkner, Skegness

Re: meteor pings help

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 14 Dec 2014 19:28

Hello Phil.

You should hear some meteor activity, but predicting the right time to listen is like the Met Orifice trying to predict the weather.

At the moment we have a better than average chance because of the Geminids. Most people find that beaming east gives better results, but I see Nick has been hearing plenty while beaming to the south. The south has never been a good direction here for meteor scatter, as I wrote elsewhere yesterday.

It's quite a nocturnal thing unfortunately as the majority of pings and bursts are heard through the darkness hours and around the sunrise period. But there are always random meteors which can appear at any time of the day or night.

I just had a quick listen and there still seems to be plenty of activity, though it's not as good as yesterday evening. Find an empty frequency as close to the bottom of the band as you can. 87.6 and 87.7 are usually good frequencies. Hopefully you'll receive something strong enough to give you RDS. You could also check any audio against a station's web stream. An easy and regular one to get you started could be France Culture from Strasbourg on 87.7, but you may hear other stations.

A longwire isn't ideal, but hopefully you will hear something. A simple dipole would be better or a small beam. Also consider an FM loop antenna. The latter used to give me very good results years ago. It's a loop of wire, centre fed at the bottom to provide a horizontal pattern, which is what you need. The dimensions are 30 to 33 inches square. I have made a few out of copper pipe and they work really well, even when low down near to the ground.

Hope that helps for now. Ask away if there is anything else.

Good DX!

phill50

Post by phill50 » 14 Dec 2014 21:03

thanks john didn't know if posted on wrong part of forum I will remember that love to hear them pesky weather here last night cloudy and cold always find its cloudy when I want to see something lol thanks again might try to make me loop john btw is it distinct noise never heard one before phill

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 14 Dec 2014 21:10

I moved your post. The forum you posted to is more for forum questions, but not a problem.

Loop antennas are less susceptible to noise pickup, plus the FM (band 2) loop doesn't mind too much if you put it on the floor and lean it up against a wall. I used to have lots of pings and RDS from my loop antenna, leaned up against the bedroom wall many years ago. It's a very forgiving antenna. I keep meaning to re-write the FM loop construction article I wrote years ago and stick it on my blog. Must get around to that soon as we are in a good spell of meteor activity now which should take us through well into January - and perhaps even into February, as it did this year.

For the main loop winding, use a piece of coax. Join the inner and outer together. Then connect either end to the coax feed to your receiver. It's so simple. This little loop even has some useful gain over a half wave dipole. More on this soon anyway.

phill50

Post by phill50 » 14 Dec 2014 21:24

love to see construction article john be nice to try to build a loop I will give it a try btw merry Christmas to you and family from cold wales

phill50

Post by phill50 » 14 Dec 2014 21:35

hi john just had quick 2 sec burst on 87.7 on this vhf dipole on top of wardrobe so maybe my first ever meteor ping

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 15 Dec 2014 00:11

Very nice Phil! Be very careful - this might become highly addictive ;)

Thanks for your good wishes. Wishing you and yours a great time over the festive period. Merry Christmas!

phill50

Post by phill50 » 15 Dec 2014 15:58

thanks for all info john yeah think it can. I love the sdr radio thing as you can watch more of spectrum still getting used to sdr radio program lots of different filters and such surprised I picked that short burst last night don't know if any tonight but maybe see what other freq u can hear [pings on phill

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 15 Dec 2014 22:07

Well, I tend to try not to repeat things too much, but check the BIG transmitters at around 100 km distance. From memory, transmitters like Wien, Graz 1, Dresden, Leipzig, Votice, Zagreb, Monte Venda, Czestochowa, Krosno, Ceské Budejovice, Strasbourg, Troyes, etc. It's surprising how often Radio 7 from Iberger Kugel appears on 105.0 too. Funradio from Bratislava on 87.7 used to be very regular but I don't hear it much these days.

I am just starting to catch up with my overnight recordings after being out all day. I can tell you from here at least that conditions are nowhere near as good as on the 14th, so don't be too despondent if you don't hear much for a while. Keep listening though as you never know what might pop up.

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 16 Dec 2014 20:20

http://skegnessdx.blogspot.co.uk/2014/1 ... tenna.html

Just threw this together. Hope there aren't too many typos. ;)

mediterraneandxer

Post by mediterraneandxer » 17 Dec 2014 11:16

Nice blog article, John. Any chance you can post a few pictures of your finished product?
ICOM R75, R8500 | Lowe HF~225
Wellbrook ALA1530 | LF Engineering VLF, MW, Skymatch

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 17 Dec 2014 20:08

I don't have one of these loops at the moment as the two got damaged when moving house earlier this year and I just threw them out. I saved the coax so I will probably knock something together again soon.

There should be a photo or two of an old one on the blog - let me check .....

Either search for "FM Loop Antenna" or click here. http://skegnessdx.blogspot.co.uk/search ... op+antenna There is a photo of one on the Sizewell article.

mediterraneandxer

Post by mediterraneandxer » 18 Dec 2014 08:34

Thanks, that looks too simple to work! I am dreaming of making one up with copper tubing inside PVC for a self-supporting structure. The loop format is supposed to be very effective on LW and MW also.

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 18 Dec 2014 10:45

It does indeed. But the proof is in the pudding, as the saying goes. No, it won't outperform a six or ten element beam, etc. but what it does do is better than you might expect. The ease of positioning gives it a big advantage too when trying to null something previously un-nullable (unless you live next door to Holme Moss, etc).

I need to amend the article slightly. I received some private correspondence about a small error I made regarding the dimensions and I need to update this asap.

The loop itself should be 33 inches (84 cm) square. I did not take into account the fact that the velocity factor for a quad is slightly different to that of a half wave dipole.

mediterraneandxer

Post by mediterraneandxer » 18 Dec 2014 11:15

Nulling is one of the benefits always touted by loop antenna hawkers. It sounds like it would be ideal in many situations. Thanks again.

Return to “VHF Band 2, OIRT & DAB”