Radio Maria in every town and city across the UK?

John Faulkner, Skegness

Radio Maria in every town and city across the UK?

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 16 Jan 2018 03:27

I wonder .....

https://radiotoday.co.uk/2017/12/commer ... -scrapped/

So expect all kinds of overseas networks to appear. Are the government selling off our radio dial to overseas companies?

From the article:

Ministers also say the legislation will include permission for Ofcom to license overseas stations on DAB multiplexes in the UK. At the moment, only UK-based stations are permitted. Stations from the Republic of Ireland will get the go-ahead to transmit in the UK first, followed by licensed stations from other EU countries.

Digital Minister Matt Hancock said: “The UK’s thriving commercial radio sector is highly valued by local communities across the country. As radio moves closer to a digital switchover we need to give them the freedom to adapt and compete with online stations.

So our Digital Minister, Matt Hancock, (Is he really digital?) says that our commercial radio sector is thriving. Ah, OK. So why not change it? Something isn't right here. Can you imagine UK radio organisations opening up networks across Europe? Looks like we are giving away our radio dials.

I guess signals will be STRONG and STABLE. Just like our economy. Pah!

satnipper

Re: Radio Maria in every town and city across the UK?

Post by satnipper » 16 Jan 2018 09:02

This is a good thing - deregulating commercial radio. About time too. Who cares what is on DAB multiplexes - better than to have 50 versions of Heart which is what you have now on FM...

The UK economy is the 5th or 6th largest in the world and has created more jobs in the last ten years than the rest of the EU27 put together. There's a reason why so many want to come here.......

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 16 Jan 2018 11:14

I agree. On the face of it, it could be a good thing. But it feels like we are losing control and selling everything off. If the UK radio scene is so successful, why change it?

More diverse radio with more interesting programming sounds good. But I fear the worst with this move. Time will tell.

satnipper

Post by satnipper » 16 Jan 2018 14:53

I believe that television and radio is an exception to the EU's Treaty of Rome on the free movement of goods and services. This shows how open to business a post-Brexit UK will be - sclerotic protectionist EU take note!

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 16 Jan 2018 15:13

OK. Whatever that means. Let's just enjoy radio. :)

Sniffingmoose

Post by Sniffingmoose » 16 Jan 2018 18:02

Well I cant wait to have RTE on DAB in the UK. I listen to RTE a lot online and I have no connection with Ireland This is because I am fed up of hearing what seems like the same old 20 songs on most UK music radio stations. However I think RTE is only going on the low power trial multiplexes as far as I know.
Chris T
Burton on Trent
On a hill facing south west. Height 340 feet ASL
52.7992°N 1.612°W

Antference 4 Element Horizontal Beaming West high up up on the Chimney
Maplin DAB 4 element Beaming South West
Folded Dipole Vertical in the loft.

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 17 Jan 2018 00:36

Yes, that would definitely be an upside to the move. RTE is excellent. I used to listen to it a lot on the car radio.

There's an interesting point about those same old 20 songs you mention. I made a casual kind of study on this and I was surprised by the number of tracks stations like Heart and Smooth play. It also seems like the same 20 songs to me, but I wonder if it's a sign of age (and older age in my case) as there is definitely a larger playlist these days. I'd like to see their full playlist though, just to confirm. Drive by The Cars is one of those much repeated tracks. The same with that bloody awful Toploader song.

I'm an old raver at heart. Even though I am rapidly approaching my 60s, I still love the old school hardcore/rave tracks. I've never grown (up) out of that music. I even did a mix tape the other day of some of my favourite tracks from the early nineties. I might revive that thread and post a link to some mixes I've done recently. Nick G will be impressed ;)

// Can't find it!

Tim Bucknall

Post by Tim Bucknall » 01 Mar 2018 08:40

This is what dab should be ,
Radio maria have deep pockets but the Poles here would prefer rmf FM - go into any shop ir home and they're playing rmf fm
Home:Burkhardt Reuter RDR54D1 SDR V.415,
+ CLP 5130 Log P ant

Mobile: Comm Radio CR-1 + Sharman Skyscan ant, Pira P275

Tim Bucknall

Post by Tim Bucknall » 01 Mar 2018 08:42

PS: radio maria sometimes have interesting historical documentaries about Siberia etc ;-)
Home:Burkhardt Reuter RDR54D1 SDR V.415,
+ CLP 5130 Log P ant

Mobile: Comm Radio CR-1 + Sharman Skyscan ant, Pira P275

daveB

Post by daveB » 01 Mar 2018 09:16

I am fed up of hearing what seems like the same old 20 songs on most UK music radio stations.
And there are probably 20 different 'same old songs' playing on most European stations. "If I hear one more station playing "Galway Girl"I shall go mad"!

As to the subject title - I presume that if R Maria comes to the UK it will want the service code C1CC.

I do hope that don't start filling 5A to 0D with local stations around here - it is nice and clear for DX at the moment - if ever there is anything about.
SDRPlay, AirSpyMini, RTL dongles, SB920s, Yamaha TX930. 5 ele compact yagi on rotator at 18ft agl. FM5 facing east, FM5 facing south, FM3 facing NE, OIRT dipole, 3-ele Moxon vertical facing east.

ChrisCor

Post by ChrisCor » 10 Mar 2018 10:41

I certainly hope Radio Maria comes to UK. This should stir the pot a bit. Maybe force some better content from others hopefully.

zach_m

Post by zach_m » 10 Mar 2018 13:01

Radio Maria is a Catholic station. I doubt if it gets trough here.

satnipper

Post by satnipper » 10 Mar 2018 17:38

"I doubt if it gets trough here"

Not sure what this means. Maria certainly makes it through via Sporadic E. And there are religious stations broadcasting in the UK - Premier on several MF freqs for one.

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 10 Mar 2018 20:09

Can't see this happening. 'Political correctness' comes to mind.

Return to “VHF Band 2, OIRT & DAB”