Meteor Detector for HDSDR - BETA1

AndyP (Telford)

Meteor Detector for HDSDR - BETA1

Post by AndyP (Telford) » 26 Feb 2017 15:31

Hi All

I've written a Meteor Detector for HDSDR. It works by analysing the waterfall screenshots which can be automatically saved by HDSDR. It uses these screenshots to determine if a signal is present on any given frequency.

This software is in beta and could have bugs! but if you would like to try it then you can download it from here: http://www.apritch.co.uk/md4_beta1.zip

The help file explains what is does and how it works: http://www.apritch.co.uk/help/md4.htm

Enjoy!

Andy, M0CYP - Telford
http://www.apritch.co.uk/uiview.htm
http://www.apritch.co.uk/radioprop.htm

daveB

Re: Meteor Detector for HDSDR - BETA1

Post by daveB » 26 Feb 2017 23:31

This I am going to have to try! (when I'm wide awake to get to grips with it). That must have taken a lot of thought - I could live with 2 minute files for recording meteor scatter if I have a log book telling what time to look at.

Thanks
SDRPlay, AirSpyMini, RTL dongles, SB920s, Yamaha TX930. 5 ele compact yagi on rotator at 18ft agl. FM5 facing east, FM5 facing south, FM3 facing NE, OIRT dipole, 3-ele Moxon vertical facing east.

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 26 Feb 2017 23:54

I will give this a try too - soon.

Thank you Andy.

AndyP (Telford)

Post by AndyP (Telford) » 04 Mar 2017 14:51

Hi All

Beta2 now available: http://www.apritch.co.uk/md4_beta2.zip

This fixes an issue with false positives being generated when changing frequency and also adds the ability to auto delete ALL HDSDR created waterfall files.

Andy.

daveB

Post by daveB » 13 Mar 2017 15:45

I got Beta3 installed this morning and realise this program has far more potential than a meteor detector. It is happily honking away on tropo-scatter signals when they pop up above the preset value. I can see it will be valuable for a SpE detector. Run the RF recording at the same time and I would hope to save a lot of time trawling through empty files.

I've popped the bonnet, had a little peek and found out that it is an easy job to build the frequency monitor file as a comma separated csv file in Excel/Open Office and once saved copy and rename with the mon extension. This is much quicker than clicking on the frequency in the waterfall and more accurate - you can choose different power levels and active seconds for each line. The file name is the frequency in Hz. Not only that you can have more than one .mon file present at the same time aqs it matches the mon file to the LO (leaves it blank if there is no match). So I've got one for an LO of 91.000 MHz, one for 98.000 MHz and I shall do one for 104.000 MHz. (use slightly different centre frequencies for Spe, MS and tropo is a possibility - each with their own settings??).

Many thanks to Andy P:

Edit - MP4 doesn't lock LO - recording does that
SDRPlay, AirSpyMini, RTL dongles, SB920s, Yamaha TX930. 5 ele compact yagi on rotator at 18ft agl. FM5 facing east, FM5 facing south, FM3 facing NE, OIRT dipole, 3-ele Moxon vertical facing east.

JohnM

Post by JohnM » 13 Mar 2017 20:35

All works fine here, thanks to Andy P for this Meteor Detector.
The only problem I have is the view log, nothing appears in the drop down menu.

I presume that the logs are taken form the HDSDR Record DIR, which is full with *.bmp files.

Any suggestion Andy or Dave.

John
The Netherlands

daveB

Post by daveB » 13 Mar 2017 22:24

The view logs are in the directory/folder which you assigned to the MeteorDetector program. You should find lower resolution bitmaps of each waterfall when an event was detected.

When you click on the View Logs button and the drop down menu appears you have to select the event log from the drop down box to the left of the "Previous" button. Nothing appears there until you actually click on the down arrow button. A list of the logs is displayed in the form 2017-03-13 LOG. There will only be one if you just started running it today - select it and you should see the events - choose any event to display the waterfall.

If your HDSDR record directory is "full of bitmaps" you need to check the box "auto delete waterfall files". When that is done it appears that only the most recent twelve are kept.

JohnM

Post by JohnM » 14 Mar 2017 19:01

Many thanks Dave for your clear answer.
But that doesn't work for me.

Despite I have enabled "Delete ALL HDSDR created waterfalls" my HDSDR record directory stays full of bitmaps.
There are also no view logs in the directory/folder to the MeteorDetector program.

My OS is W10 - 64 bit.

John

AndyP (Telford)

Post by AndyP (Telford) » 14 Mar 2017 21:56

Hi John

I think it might be a problem when comma is used as the decimal separator; I'll take a look.

As Dave says the programme (will) work as a general purpose signal detector. The following is an example of it being used on 20m's to detect USB signals http://www.apritch.co.uk/help/MD4_funcube_hf_20m.png

Andy.

daveB

Post by daveB » 14 Mar 2017 22:36

Hi John M,

in which case screen shots of your HDSDR setup for the Recording Settings would be helpful - mine are as follows:

Detector setup
Meteor Detector Setup.png
HDSDR recording settings
HDSDR Recording Settings.png
The directories must match (I happen to have a 2TB external drive).
Main Page
Meteor detector.png
I presume you have actually clicked along the frequency bar of the waterfall display of the MD4 HDSDR to select one or more frequencies - but do so on a reasonable strength signal that will almost certainly trigger the alarm - if you have only chosen empty channels you could wait all day for a meteor burst as we are well between showers - minor or major.

The main page display above shows the semi-local Belgian stations popping up on tropo-scatter on 90.4, 91.7 and 93.7 in the top right box. In the top left box four of the monitored frequencies - if this box is blank no frequencies have been selected - or you have changed LO frequency after selecting frequencies to monitor.

BTW for Andy P - there is no problem here with the comma being used as a separator. I originally started of with manually clicking the waterfall display to mark the frequencies to get it going.

If you go to the directory in which you installed MD4 HDSDR you should see a file which shows the LO frequency the monitor frequencies are associated with - in the example above it will be 90900000.mon - there could be more than one if you have been experimenting. If so set the LO in HDSDR to whatever one you want. If there is no .mon file that is another indicator that you haven't managed to set any monitor frequencies.

I hope that will help

David

JohnM

Post by JohnM » 15 Mar 2017 13:06

Hello Andy & David,

It finally works now !!

Thanks again for your help.

I found the problem in the Grace period.

Before it stays on ZERO and now it counts from 300 downwards.

I can now open the Review detected waterfalls.

John

daveB

Post by daveB » 19 Mar 2017 19:01

Hi Andy,

I've now got two separate installs of MD4 for HDSDR - t0 go with two instances of HDSDR. The second one will run an RTL dongle at the bottom end of the OIRT band and has it's own alarm - some Russian sounding music. I have a separate directory for the recorded files.

One small issue - I can't find the "Take a reference screenshot" button anywhere. Also can I suggest that you have the stored screenshots in a sub-folder on the main MP4 HDSDR directory so they can be deleted as and when without risk of deleting a file that the program uses.

David

AndyP (Telford)

Post by AndyP (Telford) » 19 Mar 2017 20:17

Hi David

It will be interesting to see how often you get parallel reflections on both bands.

The take reference screenshot feature has been added in Beta4 http://www.apritch.co.uk/md4_beta4.zip along with a fix to validate against the grace period being set to 0.

I have a similar problem with the logs and associated .bmp's so I'll put them in a subdirectory in the next version.

Andy.

daveB

Post by daveB » 19 Mar 2017 21:47

Hi Andy,
I thought I was using beta4 - but just installed a fresh copy from your link - and found the button - on looking twice! The original downloaded exe file was 66 kb and the latest is 67 kb - so a subtle difference.

Just the reference wave file is going to be very useful. There is nothing in the way of meteor showers at the moment but a major one is due late April - I wonder if that is also a trigger for the SpE season. So from mid-April on I will be going into 24/7 monitor mode and make good use of MD4 HDSDR - obviously with the alarm muted at night.

David
Attachments
MD4 HDSDR Beta 4.png

AndyP (Telford)

Post by AndyP (Telford) » 01 Apr 2017 11:01

Hi David

The latest version (beta5) now has a logs subdirectory which means the MD4 root directory is a bit less wood and trees.

Download from: http://www.apritch.co.uk/help/md4.htm

Andy.

daveB

Post by daveB » 01 Apr 2017 18:34

Thanks Andy - I've been using it on a couple of occasions in the hope of getting some AuEs. It did actually pin-point an event that gave some stations from Sweden - all of 15-20 seconds. But despite three Auroras - nothing of significance was received.

Return to “VHF Band 2, OIRT & DAB”