That Incredible day - 10-10-10! What are your memories?

John Faulkner, Skegness

That Incredible day - 10-10-10! What are your memories?

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 11 Oct 2014 11:57

I just realised it's four years on (and one day) since that incredible day of tropo - the tenth of the tenth, ten. Or 10-10-10!

The tropo couldn't have come at a worse time in some ways as I was preparing to move from Nottinghamshire to Skegness at the time. I wasn't doing much band 2 DXing then because the band was virtually SOLID with locals and semi-locals. Finding a gap was almost impossible. Instead, I was active on the ham bands, particularly 2m.

During the early evening of 10-10-10, I had noticed that there were more signals from Belgium and Germany on the FM portion of 2m. They tended to be as strong as, or stronger than local signals too. Calling CQ .500 only brought in responses from overseas. This was quite exceptional. An immediate trip to the Axe Edge in Derbyshire was on the cards.

Arriving at the 500 metre east facing side of the Axe Edge, using the summit from the south-west through north-west to block out other directions, I switched on the FM radio in the car. Only using the rooftop car whip, which was not a good performer, I could have sworn I had just driven to Germany. Every single frequency had been taken over by noise free German signals with one or two from Belgium. Even local stations had been drowned out by the immense signals from the continent.

Using my OC7000 and 50 watts and an HB9CV at just three metres above the ground, I worked easily into Lithuania, a distance of almost 1700 km. I later discovered that a DX listener in Latvia, slightly further away, had reported my signal to a DX cluster. I lost the details of those loggings so I don't have the precise distances anymore. I believe some English hams had been working into Russia at the time too.

So, the question is - what are your memories of that amazing day?

Catherine

Re: That Incredible day - 10-10-10! What are your memories?

Post by Catherine » 26 Oct 2014 10:58

I've looked at the posts I made on Digital Spy that day and it appears I was receiving some good signals from Germany in the morning which doesn't happen very often here with my basic radios. Apparently the band was crowded in the evening with Belgian and Dutch stations as well as stations from within the UK.

Nick Gilly

Post by Nick Gilly » 26 Oct 2014 13:39

The conditions for me during that stunning tropo peaked on the evening of the 12th with a very strong signal from WDR 1Live on 107.9 with the "1Live Kassettendeck" programme: https://app.box.com/s/mpa407p2k8otg84vc2u1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Recordings from that tropo can be found here: https://app.box.com/s/8romszt4eshy3mzmgzi7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good DX.

Nick, Whitchurch, Hampshire.

BW Broadcast RBRX Encore, Kenwood L-1000T, Yamaha T-2, Denon TU-800L, Kenwood KT-1100SD (modified), Yamaha T-85, Sony XDR-F1HD tuners, horizontal Körner 9.2 beam (Antennenland version), Yaesu G-450C rotator

eastangliauk

Post by eastangliauk » 27 Oct 2014 22:07

Just looked and must have been when I done this log
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV10v6_VDxc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Radios Tecsun PL398MP + PL-660 & JVC KD-G632 - Blaupunkt BPR-3 DAB+

Alex Cator

Post by Alex Cator » 24 Jan 2015 18:07

Wasn't there a good tropo around October 2014? Shame I wasn't a DXer back in 2010, think my interest was mainly buses back then (I still am a bus enthusiast nowadays). I was eight years old (almost nine) back then, in Year 4 at school. I started continental DXing a day I was off school due to a bug, back around June 2013, where I got Lille, Egem, Calais and Goes on the Ford 6000 CD car radio, in the Mk. II Focus rust bucket, in the Norwich suburb of Tuckswood! I mainly listened to Kiss 105-108 (mostly 106.1 SHC) back then, as I liked the music, even though I now like world music better. I also listened frequently to a Norwich pirate station called Boom FM UK (now defunct, even though there is now Style Radio UK on 89.4) on 105.1, even though it moved to 105.0. I heard Emley Moor frequently, via tropo, when I tried Boom (105.1 back then, as is Capital FM from Emley Moor). My first ever DX catch was Capital FM from High Hunsley on 105.8, on the Ford 6000 CD. Sometimes Absolute (London/Crystal Palace) was there instead. Once, trying 105.0 in the week, XFM, also from Crystal Palace, was heard tuning a little bit behind to 104.9. Boom's preset got me aware of so much, even France Info on 105.2, on the way back from the football in Norwich, (I lived in East Harling, just after moving, back then) with RDS! Wasn't aware of the others, but Inter, Culture, Bleu Nord and Musique would've been there. I did later, as the 105.0 Boom preset (after Boom stopped, and were maybe arrested) did not have much use, save Preset 3 on that radio for 102.1 (which I was aware of as 538 in Hilversum and Studio Brussel in Egem).
DXing is a great hobby, but can have so much noise that affects it, but, then, I stop DXing and think of something else. The worst noise makes DXing impossible.
Home: Sony ST-SB920 (modified), Sony XDR-S10HDiP, Onkyo T-4970, Ford 5000 RDS, horizontal Triax FM3
Mobile: Ford Fiesta (Style, 2013) and Ford Focus (2012) car radios
Portable: Tecsun PL-390, Grundig G5 (2 x 110kHz), Etón G8

Catherine

Post by Catherine » 24 Jan 2015 19:39

My first DX was in late August 2003 a few weeks before my 12th birthday. My dad had just bought a new hi-fi system and I was fiddling with it when I came across a Dutch-speaking station on 100.1 - the Flemish Radio 2. I'm not sure whether I correctly assumed that the heat was affecting the atmosphere, or whether I just thought it was a very high-powered transmitter! I seem to remember trying to DX on FM on my first hi-fi in 2004 but I gave up when all I found were some extra BBC nationals. I accidentally came across Belgium again in August 2007 but it wasn't until July 2008 that I happened to hear a mixture of Dutch and Belgian stations with really good signals, and started to listen out for them regularly.

Not sure if I ever heard Boom FM.

Alex Cator

Post by Alex Cator » 24 Jan 2015 21:26

You could've probably got Boom if you tuned to its frequency. It had terrible coverage around Norwich - its transmitter site was not known. Perhaps the Rouen Road tower block, even though, due to the antennae and the strength, I think Style comes from Heartsease, and I know Future comes from the Markham Tower, due to databases, as Future is community-licensed. As Style and Boom are pirates, it is always unknown where they are actually from. Boom got quite far out of Norwich, the RDS went and the signal got weak just past Acle, and by the time you get to Great Yarmouth, it is gone, even though a weak signal of Style is there at the Sainsbury's in Great Yarmouth under worse than flat conditions. The day I was aware of Style, conditions were worse than flat - no FM stations from the Netherlands were there anywhere in East Anglia, even on a good radio. However, on that day, there was France Info from Lille on 105.2 around the Suffolk Coastal District (Orford, Aldeburgh, etc.), and the Flemish (VRT) Radio 2 was there on 98.6, in a lot of Suffolk. It was there but weak (same strength as France Info) in Orford and Aldeburgh, even though, unlike Info, very weak snaps were there in Southwold, and at the Ness Point in Lowestoft, even though it ran out by the time I got to the gas works. That day, nothing was present in coastal Norfolk, even though the Flemish Radio 2 (on 98.6) could be heard in snaps just outside East Harling, the village where I live.
Back to the pirates, along the A11, Style's full signal, with scrolling RDS-PS text, is available up until above Wymondham, where it gets fuzzy under a bridge near the Mulbarton turnoff. It could be affected by the 5 x 250kW Tacolneston mast. The signal stays a weak signal without RDS, until Attleborough. Above Attleborough, the signal becomes a nice signal with scrolling RDS. The RDS is gone by Snetterton, where Style becomes an intermittent, fuzzy signal, without RDS, and, of course, on an older car radio (with ceramic filters instead of digital signal processing), it may get swamped, particularly around Thetford, by Holme Moss (BBC R2 89.3), and very often that may happen during high pressure and/or tropospheric propagation, and, also via tropo, maybe by VRT Klara (Sint-Pieters-Leeuw, Belgium) on 89.5, or even knocked out on any car radio (in very extreme tropo) by France Musique from Boulogne sur Mer. The signal can be very intermittent further along, until the hill between Elveden and Barton Mills, Suffolk, where it runs out altogether, and nothing shall be on 89.4, until the home counties, when Citylock Radio may come in, and Citylock is a London pirate. The results of Style and the foreign stations were received on a Ford Focus Mk. III (2012) car radio, with DSP similar to the Sony XDR-F1HD series. The results of Boom FM were received on a Ford 6000 CD, in an old rust bucket Ford Focus Mk. II (2005), with ceramic filters, even though the later 6000 CD and 6006 CDC models have DSP.
Home: Sony ST-SB920 (modified), Sony XDR-S10HDiP, Onkyo T-4970, Ford 5000 RDS, horizontal Triax FM3
Mobile: Ford Fiesta (Style, 2013) and Ford Focus (2012) car radios
Portable: Tecsun PL-390, Grundig G5 (2 x 110kHz), Etón G8

Paul_Logan

Post by Paul_Logan » 07 Mar 2015 18:54

Best tropo I have ever seen was between the 9th and 13th October 2010. Stuff I had dreamed of for years. I had some German receptions (my only ever German tropo) which in terms of distance would have been like someone in London hearing Minsk! I woke up on the morning of the 12th and the band was full of Germans - mindblowing considering just how rare long distance tropo to the east is where I am.
Paul Logan
Lisnaskea, Fermanagh, N. Ireland IO64GG

FMDX: Elad FDM-S2 with 5 el Yagi by K6STI, Andy Bolin Phaser.
MW / SW: Perseus / Elad FDM-S2 with Inverted L wire / Wellbrook Loop.

Return to “VHF Band 2, OIRT & DAB”