Images in posts

Administration matters and forum notifications. Ask questions. Report issues. Make suggestions.
Julian Hardstone
Site Admin

Images in posts

Post by Julian Hardstone » 29 Sep 2014 01:41

The forum allows us to include images in messages, and I was reminded of this by Cedric's 'Introduction' where he shows his antennas on the roof (hi Ced!). At present an image appears at full size, which can easily exceed the page width. It is also possible to make images appear as thumbnails beneath the message, which work as links to the full-size image. Would we prefer images to appear full size, maybe with a size limit, or as thumbnails?

John Faulkner, Skegness

Re: Images in posts

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 29 Sep 2014 11:15

Yes. With limitations. Thumbnails keep things tidy, but I think I would prefer to see the image without having to click on a thumbnail.

Anybody who wishes to show larger files could upload to a cloud site and link from here.

All the image and file size settings can be managed in the ACP.

Julian Hardstone
Site Admin

Post by Julian Hardstone » 29 Sep 2014 11:43

I'll bump this when we have more members, but my feeling is that you can see large images much more easily if they are thumbnails below the text, especially if there is more than one - no need to scroll down and across. If you want to see more detail it's not really a big deal to click the thumbnail

Jim (Bournemouth)

Post by Jim (Bournemouth) » 29 Sep 2014 21:28

Julian Hardstone wrote:I'll bump this when we have more members, but my feeling is that you can see large images much more easily if they are thumbnails below the text, especially if there is more than one - no need to scroll down and across. If you want to see more detail it's not really a big deal to click the thumbnail
I would agree with that.
We do this on other forums I've helped out with, and in weather forums I frequent - and it keeps things tidy should someone post in "widescreen"!
Jim, Bournemouth, Dorset. IO90BR.

Elad FDM-S2, Perseus/FM+ and Funcube Dongle SDR Recievers 8-element OP-DES for Band 2, 12-ele ZL Special for 2m, plus wideband vertical

Julian Hardstone
Site Admin

Post by Julian Hardstone » 02 Oct 2014 23:00

I asked on vintage-radio forum and the admin pointed out they don't run phpBB, it's vBulletin
Doh :oops:
Another reply said images are full-size in his phpBB forum

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 03 Oct 2014 10:23

OK. I am taking a look at this again.

Thanks anyway.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » 07 Oct 2014 21:47

Or the poster could re-size them down using Irfanview or something similar. That's what I would do.
vBulletin gives you a bunch of options with photos, etc.

Julian Hardstone
Site Admin

Post by Julian Hardstone » 08 Oct 2014 00:07

Mike - Us old-time users are habituated to resizing our images for mail and posts, but I wouldn't want to place too many demands on our members. In any case we have a size limit on posting images, currently limited to 800px wide. I hope that will not cause many problems

daveB

Post by daveB » 08 Oct 2014 14:28

Just posted to the Bulletin Board (partly as a test) notes on my mods to the Yamaha TX-930. Added three photos - but found I had to re-size them as a message came up saying there was a 500 x 500 pixel limit. Having to re-size is a slight inconvenience. Original size was 2816 x 2116 pixels. In my opinion - you'll have to judge for yourselves - I think the resolution needs to be a little bit higher (800 x 800 ?). (Compare the annotated photo with the same one in the photos section of the old forum).

As for the question of full size or thumbnails in the post - definitely thumb nails in line

Rgds

David
SDRPlay, AirSpyMini, RTL dongles, SB920s, Yamaha TX930. 5 ele compact yagi on rotator at 18ft agl. FM5 facing east, FM5 facing south, FM3 facing NE, OIRT dipole, 3-ele Moxon vertical facing east.

Julian Hardstone
Site Admin

Post by Julian Hardstone » 08 Oct 2014 16:30

Thanks David, now 800 × 800 max

I'm not sure of the implications of increasing this further but I'd rather keep images below this, or 1200 at the most

daveB

Post by daveB » 08 Oct 2014 20:32

Julian Hardstone wrote:Thanks David, now 800 × 800 max

I'm not sure of the implications of increasing this further but I'd rather keep images below this, or 1200 at the most
It just uses more memory. 800 x 800 is 2.56 times the size of 500 x 500.

Two test pictures embedded - and self explanatory - so we can see the difference.

Addendum - when the embedded pictures are clicked and open in the browser you can clearly see the difference in image size (to be expected). Using the zoom function (Ctrl +) to enlarge you can see the improvement in resolution - and in my opinion (for what it's worth) it doesn't need any higher resolution than 800 x 800. You can always post a link to a high res photo if needed.

However is there a setting that would automatically open the image in a new tab? I've already closed my link to the site when I thought I was closing a picture...

Rgds

David
Yamaha TX930 mods annotated 500 pixels.jpg
Yamaha TX930 mods annotated 800 pixels.jpg
SDRPlay, AirSpyMini, RTL dongles, SB920s, Yamaha TX930. 5 ele compact yagi on rotator at 18ft agl. FM5 facing east, FM5 facing south, FM3 facing NE, OIRT dipole, 3-ele Moxon vertical facing east.

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 09 Oct 2014 11:17

Works perfectly for me Dave. Thumbnails to begin with, click on them to enlarge, opening in a new window, then another click to allow the image to expand to its maximum size.

Sometimes there are browser issues though. I was using Chrome in this case. On Firefox it's different. The image does not open in a new window and increases in size, but no way of enlarging to maximum size.

John J Cahill

Post by John J Cahill » 09 Oct 2014 11:36

In Firefox, right click on thumbnail and then click on"Open link in new Tab"
or press "Ctrl" and left click on thumbnail and it will open in a new tab.
The same can be done after clicking on "New Post" to read posts do as above, close tab when the posts are read and the "Board index" is still loaded ready for next right click.
Hope this hepls

Return to “Ask questions, report problems, make suggestions”