Skywaves - Mobile Phone Access

Administration matters and forum notifications. Ask questions. Report issues. Make suggestions.
John Faulkner, Skegness

Skywaves - Mobile Phone Access

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 17 Jan 2015 18:45

How does this site look and work on your mobile?

I just sat down to study the TapaTalk mobile phone app with a view to installing it on the forum. It wasn't long before I found out that are some potential issues with security on their beta version. This 'beta' is the only version available for phpBB 3.1. TapaTalk was designed for the previous forum version (3.0) and 3.1 already includes adaptations for mobile phone viewing, so I checked it out.

This forum works very well indeed on my old Galaxy S2 and quicker than on my PC sometimes. Inline photos seem to display well and I haven't found a single problem.

If you use a mobile phone for internet browsing, please do let us know how SkywavesDX works for you.

Thanks.

satnipper

Re: Skywaves - Mobile Phone Access

Post by satnipper » 17 Jan 2015 19:42

Does TapaTalk recognise the mobile browser in use (IoS iPhone/iPad, android, windows etc) and serve up appropriately formatted pages?

regards

Stuart

a2c39a

Post by a2c39a » 17 Jan 2015 20:14

Hello John,

All works OK for me, so long as I use the Firefox browser on my HTC-1X (I know geriatric old phone).
The standard browser that is preinstalled on this phone has problems with file uploads. It has problems on other sites also.

Even Firefox has problems with the PDF files I asked you to allow for upload. Instead of offering the PDF Viewer or others to open the file, it just downloads it!

Overall, I'm happy viewing the site as I do with Firefox.

Other sites that I visit try to ram TapaTalk down my throat each time I visit them (which highly irritates me). What advantages does it give over viewing the site with a browser?
If it needs marketing as forcefully as it is on the other sites, then I suspect it gives none!

Best wishes, John.

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 17 Jan 2015 22:49

Now that I do not know Stuart. Hopefully somebody here will. I know next to nothing about mobile phones and I certainly don't know how your phone would interact with the app itself. A mobile phone is a 'phone' to me, not a computer, so I am not qualified to answer that. I presume the app needs to be installed on your phone too so it interacts with the app installed within the forum. I wouldn't know how phone and forum app communicate. Sorry.

Hi Alex. What you have written makes me slightly sceptical about TapaTalk. I hate that kind of aggressive marketing. It would deter me from using TapaTalk altogether. I found that the standard, included browser which comes with the Android OS was perfect when displaying the forum. Nothing was outside the viewing area and all the links worked.

Thanks for the feedback.

a2c39a

Post by a2c39a » 18 Jan 2015 06:58

Hello John,

I use nothing but this HTC-1X for internet access now.

I confirm that the preinstalled browser is fine for Viewing the forum.

However, posting to the forum is difficult with the preinstalled browser and file upload is impossible.

Everything fine with Firefox, so I'm happy as it is.

On TapaTalk enabled forums you get the: THIS FORUM USES TAPATALK - INSTALL IT NOW or cancel.
Every time you visit!

Best wishes, John.

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 18 Jan 2015 08:26

Thanks John. Glad it all works for you.

Now I think about it, I have never had a problem using any mobile phone when browsing anything the internet. I think most web developers have taken things like this into account and mobile phone browsers must have adapted too. Looks like it's all good. I can't comment on the uploading of images though. I wouldn't know if that's a phone/browser issue or a forum issue. Maybe others will comment.

Thanks John.

a2c39a

Post by a2c39a » 18 Jan 2015 09:33

It is definitely a problem with the HTC-1X preinstalled browser John.

I have similar problems on other websites.
You cannot past in the required place when posting text and file uploads just don't happen.

Swap to using the Firefox browser; pasting text works fine, as do file uploads.

I have no idea how well TapaTalk works. It's nasty nagging has put me off trying it!

Best wishes, John.

Return to “Ask questions, report problems, make suggestions”