AAC Files Upload

Administration matters and forum notifications. Ask questions. Report issues. Make suggestions.
a2c39a

AAC Files Upload

Post by a2c39a » 05 Jan 2015 20:41

Hello again John,

Sorry to be a nuisance but any chance of being able to upload AAC (Advanced Audio Codec as used in DAB+) audio files for soundbites of reception, please.

Many thanks, John.

Julian Hardstone
Site Admin

Re: AAC Files Upload

Post by Julian Hardstone » 06 Jan 2015 14:44

John - I'm sorry but the site has been set up only for a few specific filetypes, not including any audio formats. Perhaps you can link to your own cloud storage place? I know dropbox is popular and I think JF has a favourite place

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 06 Jan 2015 15:15

Sorry for taking a time to get back to you John. The main problem with audio files is the size. We could fill up our storage quota very quickly.

Choosing the best place to store large files is never a simple matter, and the situation regarding file size limits seems to be changing again with some cloud sites cutting back on their size limits.

box.net is very good for most file types. The free service had a size limit of 25 MB when I registered ages ago. This may have changed so check for current spec.

I was also a big fan of Mediafire, which allowed as much as 250 MB on their free account. The only problem with Mediafire is the occasional pop-up ad. I am not aware that these pop-ups have ever carried anything malicious, but the facility, which I still use, is excellent with a whopping 50 GB of storage space. I think this has been reduced at the time of writing this.

Dropbox is the preferred choice of many and allows unlimited file sizes (up to 10GB?) with the free account, but you must install the Dropbox desktop app to get this size, otherwise it's much smaller. I think Dropbox is the preferred choice for cloud storage these days.

Other cloud sites are available.

https://www.box.com/en_GB/
https://www.mediafire.com/
https://www.dropbox.com/

a2c39a

Post by a2c39a » 06 Jan 2015 17:35

Thanks for the replies Julian and John,

I had no intention of posting hours of audio recordings but I can see that others might abuse this.

The biggest files I am likely to post are image files and I have posted 2.5 MB files, so they are more likely to give you a file size problem.
My audio files in AAC (which is a high compression format, much better than mp2 as used in DAB) are only up to 30seconds long and a few hundred KB in size.

I don't want to cause problems and can easily manage without posting audio.

Thanks to both of you and best wishes, John.

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 07 Jan 2015 00:22

No problem John. It's nothing personal. Just a forum-wide thing and I needed to check before anything was implemented.

Return to “Ask questions, report problems, make suggestions”