Android app for smartphone friendly viewing of the forum

Administration matters and forum notifications. Ask questions. Report issues. Make suggestions.
Ian Kelly

Android app for smartphone friendly viewing of the forum

Post by Ian Kelly » 23 Oct 2014 22:19

I was a bit reluctant about joining this new forum, as it as so easy to view postings to the Yahoo Group, just using the Gmail app on my Android smartphone.

However, just found an Android app which makes viewing this forum smartphone (and tablet) friendly. I don't know if there's an equivalent for iphone/ipad users.

The app is called ForumTouch: here's the link to it on Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... forumtouch" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

To view the forum, open the app, tap the menu button, and press the Add Forum button. Enter the Forum URL as http://www.skywavesdx.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and your login details.

Hope this helps. Saves having to open your phone's browser and having to pinch, zoom and scroll to read postings.

You can post a reply from the app as well, though I'm struggling to find an option to start a new thread (if there is such an option).

John Faulkner, Skegness

Re: Android app for smartphone friendly viewing of the forum

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 23 Oct 2014 23:33

Thanks Ian. I will download the app and give it a try tomorrow and will report back.

For starting new topics, you will need to be inside a forum to see the "New Topic" button.

It's good to see the new forum taking off so quickly. This was initially started because of the problems many people had been having with Neo, but some people were obviously not experiencing too many difficulties.

The Yahoo system is excellent as a simple mailing list which, when it works properly, does the job it is supposed to. I don't want to take sides and stress a preference for one system over the other, as both have their strengths and weaknesses. Initially, it was thought that the Yahoo group would be closed down, but there is a strong need from some people to continue using it.

So we have two platforms now. I can't say I really want to double post everything but I will certainly post any DX alerts to both forums. Some are deciding on which they prefer, but time will tell if one becomes more popular than the other. It's nice to have the choice at the moment.

Ian Kelly

Post by Ian Kelly » 23 Oct 2014 23:47

Unfortunately, no "New Topic" button appears when in the app and there doesn't appear to be an option in the app's menu either. Couldn't find another app that could open the forum at all.

Can the forum be set to work with the Tapatalk app? That is very good but forum admins have to set up their forums to work with the app.

Sent from my GT-I9300 Using ForumTouch for Android

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 24 Oct 2014 01:13

There is an app for Tapatalk so that's quite possible. But I have reservations when it comes to installing more mods and making any changes to the software.

1. I have very little experience with the coding which is required for a lot of these modifications. Most of these come with detailed instructions and it's all OK providing backups are made throughout if it goes fruit shaped.

2. This forum will require software updates from time to time. Modifications applied before these updates will probably be rendered useless afterwards and so they will all need to be implemented and installed again - that is IF such modifications exist for the new updates in the first place.

Modifications, if not properly installed, can cause problems and also open up the potential for exploits. Another reason not to go too mad on them.

Forums like this often have lots of modifications which can be designed to do all manner of useful things. The software is open source and a little ingenuity can work wonders, but there really needs to be somebody more knowledgeable than me to make these changes. I am not always going to have the time to look after this side of things and so I am reluctant to get too deeply involved with them.

Scuse the lecturing but since this forum started I have been asked if all kinds of adaptations can be made. All of them good ideas, so this is just to reiterate a few things. The bottom line is that I would rather somebody with more knowledge can take on such tasks.

I will definitely look into the Tapatalk app since the viewing websites on mobile phones and tablets is all the rage now.

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 24 Oct 2014 14:17

One other point. There is a major software update coming in a few days. At this point it would be unwise to make any further changes.

Alex Cator

Post by Alex Cator » 29 Dec 2014 13:19

Tapatalk is the ideal app for viewing and replying on the Skywaves DX forum if you have an iPhone or Windows Phone, but either are great on Android. It is available on the three most major smartphone operating systems, Android, iOS and Windows Phone. I would have no problem with either Forum Touch or Tapatalk, as I own an Android phone.
Home: Sony ST-SB920 (modified), Sony XDR-S10HDiP, Onkyo T-4970, Ford 5000 RDS, horizontal Triax FM3
Mobile: Ford Fiesta (Style, 2013) and Ford Focus (2012) car radios
Portable: Tecsun PL-390, Grundig G5 (2 x 110kHz), Etón G8

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 29 Dec 2014 15:40

I will look at this again when we do the next update. I don't think this will be overwritten with future updates as it is an official phpBB app.

I didn't get chance to update the software a couple of Sundays ago as I was too busy. So I will get round to looking at this again early in the new year. It would be a very useful app to have these days.

Return to “Ask questions, report problems, make suggestions”