Members' Loggings

Administration matters and forum notifications. Ask questions. Report issues. Make suggestions.
Ian Kelly

Members' Loggings

Post by Ian Kelly » 23 Oct 2014 20:46

Hi. I'm new here. I noticed there is a section for Members Loggings, with a sub-forum for each individual contributor. Do I assume a moderator would have to set up a sub-forum for me to post my loggings? I assume that if I just clicked the new post button, that would just create a new thread, rather than create a sub-forum for my loggings?
Ian Kelly
Tilehurst, Reading, UK
1°03'22"W / 51°27'08"N

Andrew Webster,Wigan

Re: Members' Loggings

Post by Andrew Webster,Wigan » 23 Oct 2014 21:06

Welcome to the forum Ian John or Julian will set up a member logging for you.

We look forward to seeing your logs.

Andy
Receiving equipment: 2 Sony ST-S311, 1 Sony ST-SE520, 1 Sony ST-SE700 2 crossed FM 5s rotatable, 1 homemade FM 3 horizontal beaming S/E, 1 vertical FM 3 fixed beaming at Ireland, 2 element band 1.

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 23 Oct 2014 21:18

Welcome Ian! :) Will do that straight away.

Nick Gilly

Post by Nick Gilly » 23 Oct 2014 22:33

Better set one up for me as well. I will have to add mine (including UNIDs) tomorrow.
Good DX.

Nick, Whitchurch, Hampshire.

BW Broadcast RBRX Encore, Kenwood L-1000T, Yamaha T-2, Denon TU-800L, Kenwood KT-1100SD (modified), Yamaha T-85, Sony XDR-F1HD tuners, horizontal Körner 9.2 beam (Antennenland version), Yaesu G-450C rotator

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 24 Oct 2014 00:55

Done! :)

daveB

Post by daveB » 29 Oct 2014 22:01

Could you set up a members' log page for me too - Dave Bunyan (DaveB), Sittingbourne - so I can post the super tropo logs.

Also any tips so that I can set the logs up as a justified columns - rather than the 'random' lemgth lines I end up with.

Thanks

David
SDRPlay, AirSpyMini, RTL dongles, SB920s, Yamaha TX930. 5 ele compact yagi on rotator at 18ft agl. FM5 facing east, FM5 facing south, FM3 facing NE, OIRT dipole, 3-ele Moxon vertical facing east.

mediterraneandxer

Post by mediterraneandxer » 30 Oct 2014 12:28

Yes, use the code tags in the full editor to preserve the spacing as you type it.
ICOM R75, R8500 | Lowe HF~225
Wellbrook ALA1530 | LF Engineering VLF, MW, Skymatch

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 30 Oct 2014 13:16

That's right. Select all the text you want to neaten up and click "Code". This can be done in the basic editor too.

I'd also like to recommend TextPad. I export my loggings from FM List, paste them into TextPad, which removes the formatting, then they are ready to copy/paste into here or a blog, a Yahoo post, etc. Don't use Windows NotePad as it can insert its own coding which can mess things up.

Franco Martelli

Post by Franco Martelli » 09 Nov 2014 16:40

Let me suggest a little improvement into this part of the forum.

For those (me: for example) who don't need an individual subforum but who also want to post their dxs, could be great to open a sub forum named "other members loggings".

This coul also avoid to open a lot of useless sub-forums with a few posts every year.
Rx: Degen DE-1103, Sangean ATS-909

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 09 Nov 2014 17:01

Hello Franco.

Thanks for this suggestion France. We looked into both options regarding this: Having all loggings posted in one sub-forum Vs having individual member sub-forums. It was felt that most people preferred the latter as it keeps the forum tidier and easier to search through the pages for specific member's loggings. People will have their own preferences of course so we may never reach an ideal balance, but if you prefer not to have your own individual sub-forum then that's also fine.

Since we have a few more members since this topic was first raised, does anybody else want to give their views on on this? All gratefully received.

mediterraneandxer

Post by mediterraneandxer » 09 Nov 2014 17:52

Yes, I think it would be good to have a general subforum for logs. If somebody posts loggings regularly I suppose you could open them a subforum and move their posts. In the meantime it might encourage those of us who are part timers for various reasons to post loggings without drawing undue attention to ourselves ;)

And I think I mentioned before an UNID subforum would be welcome for people needing help with IDs.

What happened to the lovely forum theme? This new look is very readable but alas not as pretty.

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 09 Nov 2014 23:01

Thanks for the feedback MD.

I hope people don't see the individual sub-forums as some form of elitism. I wonder if this is going to deter any people from posting then it's something which needs looking at.

The picture is getting a little clearer but more feedback needed please! What do YOU think?

mediterraneandxer

Post by mediterraneandxer » 10 Nov 2014 11:22

Hi John- no, not elitism at all. It's just that people like me who don't have enough loggings to warrant our own category but would still like to post occasionally if we catch something interesting, don't know where to do that. That's how I read Franco's comments and if that's what he meant I agree.

Don't forget the UNID subforum 8-)

Catherine

Post by Catherine » 10 Nov 2014 19:12

I agree with the idea of having a general loggings subforum. Until now I've used other people's threads in the 'DX alerts' section to post what I was hearing. I'm not really interested in posting a log every day I hear something if it's a duplicate of what I've heard before. :)

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 10 Nov 2014 21:35

Thanks Catherine.

Good to receive all your opinions. It's a tricky one in one respect as there is a good split between the two preferences. This presents a small problem, in that one method will please half of us, the other method will please the other half. So what to do? I think it might be an idea to let people choose which way to do this and honour that decision as we may have an even split.

It's like comparing the Yahoo forum, which lists posts chronologically, to the bulletin board, which gives us the option to create more 'order' and archiving options. We have the best of both worlds in this respect. With this in mind, I don't know if anything really needs to be changed from the systems we have. While that doesn't really 'solve' anything, it still leaves us with all the options open.

Is that a fair answer? Any more views welcome.

mediterraneandxer

Post by mediterraneandxer » 11 Nov 2014 09:42

John Faulkner wrote:Good to receive all your opinions. It's a tricky one in one respect as there is a good split between the two preferences. This presents a small problem, in that one method will please half of us, the other method will please the other half. So what to do?
I don't understand this at all. I don't think anyone has suggested or even thought to do away with the personal logging forums. What I think everyone's been saying is, in addition to the personal logging forums would you please provide us with a misc. catch-all forum for those of us who don't feel we warrant, need, etc. our own subforum.

I see you've added the UNID subforums. Thanks very much! I almost had a candidate last night but drat! I figured it out in the end.

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 11 Nov 2014 11:33

Thanks MD. There is now a general Logbook for this purpose.

Julian Hardstone
Site Admin

Post by Julian Hardstone » 11 Nov 2014 12:28

John Faulkner wrote:Thanks MD. There is now a general Logbook for this purpose.
Excellent, just what we need. Just one thing - where is it?? It needs to show up prominently

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 11 Nov 2014 12:34

viewforum.php?f=67

It's at the top of the list. It can be moved if necessary. It's the first sub-forum listed in the VHF Band 2, OIRT & DAB" category and visible from the main Board Index (Home) page.

mediterraneandxer

Post by mediterraneandxer » 11 Nov 2014 16:24

John Faulkner wrote:Thanks MD. There is now a general Logbook for this purpose.
My hero :P

Many thanks, I think it will be an excellent addition in the long run.

Return to “Ask questions, report problems, make suggestions”