Convert SDR Console V3 IQ files to SDR# format?

SDR software discussion
pe1etr

Convert SDR Console V3 IQ files to SDR# format?

Post by pe1etr »

Hello all,
I can't play my IQ WAV files from the latest SDR Console V3 release in SDR#.
Any Ideas? I tried simple renaming but still wouldn't play.

Thanks
Peter
Ian Kelly

Re: Convert SDR Console V3 IQ files to SDR# format?

Post by Ian Kelly »

Hi Peter. Sorry for the delay in replying, but I've only just seen this and by coincidence, I found the solution yesterday!

I tried renaming the IQ file as well, but just got an error message.

I found this software which will convert an SDR Console file so that it will play in SDR Sharp's File Player (Vasili). The downside is the conversion is not instant, but you have to wait some time for the conversion to take place. The new file created seemed to be double the size of the original, too! You will also need to rename the newly created conversion file to the SDR Sharp IQ file naming format, so that it will show the correct frequencies and times in the SDR Sharp file player. It worked for me.

The program is called "SDRConsole-to-SDR-compatible-IQ-converter", created by a developer called TheMrRandomDude.

Webpage: https://github.com/TheMrRandomDude/SDRC ... -converter

Direct link to the download file (I virus scanned it and it was cleared as safe before opening): https://github.com/TheMrRandomDude/SDRC ... 1.0.0b.exe

Hope this helps.
Ian Kelly
Tilehurst, Reading, UK
1°03'22"W / 51°27'08"N
pe1etr

Post by pe1etr »

Ian Kelly wrote: 13 Jul 2021 14:49 Hi Peter. Sorry for the delay in replying, but I've only just seen this and by coincidence, I found the solution yesterday!

I tried renaming the IQ file as well, but just got an error message.

I found this software which will convert an SDR Console file so that it will play in SDR Sharp's File Player (Vasili). The downside is the conversion is not instant, but you have to wait some time for the conversion to take place. The new file created seemed to be double the size of the original, too! You will also need to rename the newly created conversion file to the SDR Sharp IQ file naming format, so that it will show the correct frequencies and times in the SDR Sharp file player. It worked for me.

The program is called "SDRConsole-to-SDR-compatible-IQ-converter", created by a developer called TheMrRandomDude.

Webpage: https://github.com/TheMrRandomDude/SDRC ... -converter

Direct link to the download file (I virus scanned it and it was cleared as safe before opening): https://github.com/TheMrRandomDude/SDRC ... 1.0.0b.exe

Hope this helps.
Hello Ian,
Thanks but I found another solution, record in 16bit in SDC V3 then they play in SDR#.
Peter
Ian Kelly

Post by Ian Kelly »

That's brilliant Peter, I will investigate. Sounds like a time saving solution.

Playback of a 16 bit file recorded in Console seems to work in my really old version of SDR Sharp version 1430 (though something strange going on with the second half of the timeline overview waterfall) BUT it doesn't seem to work in Version 1811 of SDR Sharp, returning that 'Invalid file format. File length and samples counter not equals' error message. Have you been able to playback Console IQ files in newer versions of Sharp?
Ian Kelly
Tilehurst, Reading, UK
1°03'22"W / 51°27'08"N
pe1etr

Post by pe1etr »

Ian Kelly wrote: 13 Jul 2021 16:11 That's brilliant Peter, I will investigate. Sounds like a time saving solution.

Playback of a 16 bit file recorded in Console seems to work in my really old version of SDR Sharp version 1430 (though something strange going on with the second half of the timeline overview waterfall) BUT it doesn't seem to work in Version 1811 of SDR Sharp, returning that 'Invalid file format. File length and samples counter not equals' error message. Have you been able to playback Console IQ files in newer versions of Sharp?
Ian,
Why not record your IQ files in SDR#, and play them back in SDR Console V3? That's what I do.
https://youtu.be/86c0gZbR9Sg

Peter
Ian Kelly

Post by Ian Kelly »

That's what I've experimented with the last few days. I was resistant to doing this, as File Analyser takes so long in SDR Console to create a timeline waterfall for each file, but I've bitten the bullet and used Console, patiently letting Analyser create timeline files. The thing that has really won me over is the RDS decoding in Console. I'd made a comment a few days ago that the decoding didn't seem as good compared to RDS Spy, but then I reliased I wasn't on the very latest version (I was on v3.0.26). I upgraded to v3.0.28 and there's a big difference. Console's built-in RDS decoder is now often faster than RDS Spy to both a PI code and PS name and in some cases will decode where RDS Spy simply won't decode, despite repeated attempts from a recording. But you can use both at the same time and it's worth doing this, as RDS Spy will still decode some things Console won't. They complement each other nicely. I never bother with the RDS decoder in SDR Sharp, which I don't think has ever won out over RDS Spy but will often offer rogue decodes.

The timeline waterfall is also easier to navigate, especially if you change the waterfall view to SpectraVue I find and no problems if you jog the mouse whilst left clicking the timeline to go to a certain part of the recording and it will switch frequency for you, unlike the latest incarnations of SDR Sharp's file player.
Ian Kelly
Tilehurst, Reading, UK
1°03'22"W / 51°27'08"N

Return to “SDR Software”