Airspy R2 or RSP1A

SDR receiver discussion
Cholla

Airspy R2 or RSP1A

Post by Cholla » 03 Mar 2019 10:58

I will likely purchase a new SDR for this years Sporadic E and I am unsure if either of these models has the edge on the other. On paper they appear broadly equal but does anyone have first hand experience of comparing them side by side to know which one offers better immunity to imaging and overloading?
Cholla

John Faulkner, Skegness

Re: Airspy R2 or RSP1A

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 03 Mar 2019 11:31

Hello and welcome to the group.

If you are looking at these specific models, then I cannot advise, but I am sure others here will be only too happy to comment.

Personally, I would opt for a different receiver if you can, not that I have experience of the R2 or the RSP1a for comparisons, but I have found my Elad FDM-S2 to be virtually rock solid for the last few years. It is regarded quite highly and is almost bomb proof when it comes to strong signals.

This is not to say that it never has problems. It can crash, but so do all SDRs. It also occasionally writes the file headers incorrectly so that the frequency readout is off. Thankfully, there is a simple, free app which corrects this.

So, hopefully of use.

Cholla

Post by Cholla » 09 Apr 2019 17:55

Apologies for not replying sooner but I missed the notification of a reply. The Elad S2 looks like a worthy receiver but is out of my price bracket for this particular project and would require four to cover the entire band, I think I can get away with using three Airspys or SDR Play units. When I do purchase an Elad it will be the long overdue S3 should it ever reach the market.

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 09 Apr 2019 18:34

That's the big question. Will it? When will it? OK, TWO questions! ;) I don't know what is causing the delay. Wasn't this supposed to have been released a year or two ago?

Cholla

Post by Cholla » 12 Apr 2019 12:44

I read on the Elad group it was due to the USB controller requiring a redesign after the original item was discontinued. Given that was over a year ago and the S3 was originally announced three years ago you may wish to take that response with a large pinch of salt.

Return to “SDR Receivers”