AirSpy HF+ pre-orders open!

SDR receiver discussion
zach_m

AirSpy HF+ pre-orders open!

Post by zach_m » 10 Nov 2017 20:03

Received this message today:

Link: https://airspy.groups.io/g/main/topic/6376695#25016
Dear Airspy fans,

Thank you for your patience and your encouragement. We are pleased to announce the availability of the Airspy HF+ at our partner Itead and other resellers.
To further say thank you, we created a coupon code so you can get $50 off at Itead. The coupon is limited to 100 units. First come, first served.

Coupon code (log in first to use it): AIRSPYFANS
https://www.itead.cc/airspy-hf-plus.html

We hope you will enjoy it!
Ordered mine today. I hope I know what I am doing :)

Julius63

Re: AirSpy HF+ pre-orders open!

Post by Julius63 » 08 Apr 2018 21:46

Just considering entering the world of SDR too, from the old school of Grundig etc. Miss too much SpE and when I catch, I can only ID a few stations.
I am thinking of the Airspy R2 of HF+.
I want to use it for FM/DAB mainly and I like to record a huge spectrum at once, I know the R2 can record 8 mhz of FM bandwidth at once.
Any preferences or thoughts with the other users? R2 or HF+?
Thanks in advance
Receivers:
General: Grundig satellit 650, Lowe HF-225, Tecsun PL660
FM; Degen De1103
DAB: Akai ADB10(2x), Nikkei ADB10, Technisat.
All with telescope antenna. I use a home-built(not by myself, :D ) Loopantenna on the satellit for mediumwave

daveB

Post by daveB » 09 Apr 2018 17:13

deleted as posted twice
SDRPlay, AirSpyMini, RTL dongles, SB920s, Yamaha TX930. 5 ele compact yagi on rotator at 18ft agl. FM5 facing east, FM5 facing south, FM3 facing NE, OIRT dipole, 3-ele Moxon vertical facing east.

daveB

Post by daveB » 09 Apr 2018 17:19

Airspy HF+ will only give 660 kHz bandwidth - definitely not enough for DAB. So it would have to be the Airspy R2. Unfortunately they will not be making them any more as the R820T2 chips of the right quality are no longer available. So do not think for too long.

You can record 10 MHz bandwidth - which gives a usable 9 MHz without images. These show up at between +4.5 to 5 MHz from the centre frequency.

The Airspy mini is much cheaper but has a similar performance. As supplied it will do 6 MHz bandwidth, but a simple change in the config file will allow it to do 10 MHz. I added some extra heat sinking to ensure the temperature was reduced as it gets quite warm.

Check Moonraker.eu for stock.

The best software is SDR# plus add-on plug-ins from rtl-sdr.ru which allow for extended recording times and playback.

If you cannot get hold of the an Airspy - consider an SDRPlay RSP1A. It will give you 8 MHz bandwidth - or 7.2 MHz usable - and also covers LF/LW/MW/HF. Then rather than use their SDRUNo find a copy of SDR# build 1361 with the necessary add-ons - as that will give more functionality. SDR# with Virtual Audio cable to feed RDSSpy software gives a very sensitive RDS decoding operation.

Also the SDRPlay works very well with QT-DAB - better than Airspy for weak MUXes next to strong MUXes.

Personally I'd buy either the Mini or the RSP1A as they are relatively cheap - then in a few months time Airspy could be releasing a new version with a higher resolution ADC and better dynamic range.

I actually have the Airspy mini and an original SDR Play and use both extensively - recording from both at the same time to USB .0 hard drives. I finished checking the last recording from the 2017 Es season in March 2018 :)

Regards

David
SDRPlay, AirSpyMini, RTL dongles, SB920s, Yamaha TX930. 5 ele compact yagi on rotator at 18ft agl. FM5 facing east, FM5 facing south, FM3 facing NE, OIRT dipole, 3-ele Moxon vertical facing east.

Julius63

Post by Julius63 » 09 Apr 2018 20:41

Thanks Dave, very valuable information. now looking into the RSP1A
Receivers:
General: Grundig satellit 650, Lowe HF-225, Tecsun PL660
FM; Degen De1103
DAB: Akai ADB10(2x), Nikkei ADB10, Technisat.
All with telescope antenna. I use a home-built(not by myself, :D ) Loopantenna on the satellit for mediumwave

Return to “SDR Receivers”