No more Airspy/Mini or RTL dongles - don't panic!

SDR receiver discussion
daveB

No more Airspy/Mini or RTL dongles - don't panic!

Post by daveB » 07 Mar 2018 13:21

I got an e-mail from Airspy on the 6th March informing the world that the R820T2 chip by Rafael had been discontinued - and no more batches of Airspy One or Mini would be forthcoming.

By coincidence that was just after my Airspy Mini died! Now one can argue the merits of various SDR receivers - but at the cheap and usable end of the market you have the Airspy Mini and the SDRPlay RSP1A for FM DXing due to being able to receive/record wide band. Current prices £120 and £90 respectively.

RTL dongles can be very useful - I've got two running 24/7 during the SpE season and although not as sensitive as the SDRPlay or Airspy they pick up a huge amount of signals that I would have missed. They have also proved useful (in 2016 especially) is monitoring Tropo openings with some nice ducting captured.

So if you want any:

cosycave.co.uk have dongles with a high accuracy oscillator (0.5 ppm or 1.0 ppm) at £12.95 or £11.95. I've just ordered two more to put aside.
Moonraker currently have plenty of the Airspy mini in - so I've had to buy a replacement Airspy have told them they are the only one to have any stock.

When they are gone they are gone - watch and see if the price goes up.

I just hope that Simon Brown will add a bit more functionality to the RDS decoder in SDR-Console v3 especially logging the results as is done in v2. Then LimeSDR mini would become much more interesting

David
SDRPlay, AirSpyMini, RTL dongles, SB920s, Yamaha TX930. 5 ele compact yagi on rotator at 18ft agl. FM5 facing east, FM5 facing south, FM3 facing NE, OIRT dipole, 3-ele Moxon vertical facing east.

pe1etr

Re: No more Airspy/Mini or RTL dongles - don't panic!

Post by pe1etr » 07 Mar 2018 13:25

RTL-SDRs will still be around.

https://www.rtl-sdr.com/

Scroll down the page to find the article.

Peter

daveB

Re: No more Airspy/Mini or RTL dongles - don't panic!

Post by daveB » 07 Mar 2018 16:46

Thanks Peter - interesting point made in the article:
However, other products that use the R820T2 like the Airspy may find it difficult to acquire these chips as their business model is producing a higher performance product at a higher price, but at lower volumes. We have also recently seen that a lot of generically branded RTL-SDR dongles presumably produced at other factories have started to ship with the less desirable FC0012/13 tuner chips instead.
It will be interesting to see what comes on the market towards the end of the year.
SDRPlay, AirSpyMini, RTL dongles, SB920s, Yamaha TX930. 5 ele compact yagi on rotator at 18ft agl. FM5 facing east, FM5 facing south, FM3 facing NE, OIRT dipole, 3-ele Moxon vertical facing east.

Return to “SDR Receivers”