Elad S3 has finally arrived!!

SDR receiver discussion
Jim (Bournemouth)

Elad S3 has finally arrived!!

Post by Jim (Bournemouth) »

Well, it's finally arrived!

3 years after it was first announced, then redesigned, then the old Billy Ray got in the way delaying things further, but IMHO well worth the wait.

Mine arrived yesterday, had no problems getting it going on a test version of Console. Not tried on the native Elad software yet, I rarely use it.

First impressions (from a Band 2 point of view, as that was the prime reason for me getting it..) is that it's just as sensitive as the Airspy HF+,. which itself is the most sensitive SDR I've used on Band 2. It is considerably more sensitive than the S2 when used without a Fringe preamplifier.
Despite 5x250kw transmitters 35km away line of sight from here, not a hint of overload anywhere, though I have yet to test this with the mast raised to full height.

Uses about 12% CPU running full width, this on an i7-9970 and GTX1650 Super graphics card. You will need a decent spec PC to run this at 24Mhz......

I also tried recording full width onto an HDD (an SSD is recommended..) but this worked fine on the Hitachi 12TB HDD I have, both on record and playback. Your mileage may vary.....

Had a quick look on HF, looking good there too.. will have a nose later on MW, and LF NDBs.
Jim, Bournemouth, Dorset. IO90BR.

Elad FDM-S2, FDM S3, Perseus, Airspy HF+, SDRPlay, Funcube Dongle SDR Rx; 8-ele OP-DES for Band 2, 8-ele LFA 2m, 3 ele LFA for 6m, 10-40m fan dipole, VHF vert

simbeav

Re: Elad S3 has finally arrived!!

Post by simbeav »

Congratulations Jim.

I'm not sure what to do. Really fancy one, but I don't have enough time to get through my recordings from an S2 !

Also, I often have the Perseus recording MW, whilst reviewing Band 2 recordings on the Elad. I doubt if I would get away with that.

Does it cover OIRT ? The S2 is completely deaf and other SDRs that I have tried suffer from severe overloading from Wenvoe.

Jim (Bournemouth)

I need to run some test re: OIRT.
The manual says that the lower part of the OIRT range on 12 or 24Mhz output is not recommended (= not reliable), which suggests that OIRT can be used when at 6.144Mhz bandwidth or below.

I'll test this later with a sig gen and report back.

Elad FDM-S2, FDM S3, Perseus, Airspy HF+, SDRPlay, Funcube Dongle SDR Rx; 8-ele OP-DES for Band 2, 8-ele LFA 2m, 3 ele LFA for 6m, 10-40m fan dipole, VHF vert

Jim (Bournemouth)

AS (more or less) expected - fine throughout OIRT band on bandwidths up to and including 6.144Mhz.
Does not work in that range on 12 or 24Mhz bandwidths, as suggested in the manual...

John Faulkner, Skegness
Site Owner

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness »

Wow! Putting this on my shopping list. Hmm, then I'll need to upgrade my PC (again)! :)

Return to “SDR Receivers”