Perseus Fault?

SDR Receivers, chat, software, filesharing
John Faulkner, Skegness
Site Owner

Perseus Fault?

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness »

Unless I have accidentally changed a setting without knowing, it looks like my Perseus has suffered the same fate as other models I have heard about recently.

Since yesterday evening, I noticed a sharp decrease in sensitivity. As if I'd got the Perseus -40dB attenuation activated. Not just this, however, but I have seen this happen randomly for brief periods in my overnight recordings. Say around 30 minutes of sudden signals decrease, then back to normal. But yesterday evening's decrease seems permanent.

I wondered if the temperatures in the stable where my Perseus receiver sits overnight had become too cold for it to function properly, but it's been mild this weekend and it has survived far colder temperatures when there has been frost on the ground.

It's not the antenna. All connections there are 100% and there is continuity throughout. I have replaced and bypassed all antenna plugs, etc. so I can rule those out.

Any feedback would be welcome, but I suspect this is a repair job as it sounds like exactly the same fault as experienced by some other Perseus owners.

pnoelw

Re: Perseus Fault?

Post by pnoelw »

Hi John

Dead perseus - not a nice prospect. I'm sure you've already tried a different power supply just in case your normal one isn't giving the volts when it's under load.

You could also try posting a mesage or doing a search on the Peseus groups.io. https://groups.io/g/Perseus-SDR/topics

I recently had a not dissimilar issue - much reduced sensitivity on IQ files. Eventually tracked this down to the recording process. I was using Persus native v5 software which I downloaded fresh and re-installed. All well since so I think one of the drivers must have got corrupted.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Regards
Noel.
Noel
Clacton-on-Sea
Perseus, Icom R8500, SDRPlay RSP2, FCDPro+, Uniden BCT15x, AOR8000, Tecsun PL880

John Faulkner, Skegness
Site Owner

Thanks for your reply Noel and for all the suggestions.

I will try the re-installation tomorrow when I get back home. I hope this is all that's wrong, but I now realise that this has been building up for a while.

I am getting 6V from the PSU. Without checking, I can't remember it should be, also what it should be when under load.

As expected, I just connected a six foot piece of wire to the receiver and got more signal than I did off the entire beverage yesterday evening. I am still not convinced that it's the fault of the beverage after conducting a detailed check yesterday evening. Everything was intact and not open circuit. This still suggests an intermittent fault with the Perseus. I really do wonder if it is something to do with the outside temperature?

pnoelw

Post by pnoelw »

Hello John! Did you get to the bottom of your Perseus issue? Interested to hear what it was.
Noel
Clacton-on-Sea
Perseus, Icom R8500, SDRPlay RSP2, FCDPro+, Uniden BCT15x, AOR8000, Tecsun PL880

John Faulkner, Skegness
Site Owner

Hello Noel.

This week didn't go according to plan. I wanted to re-install the Perseus software but didn't get around to it for one reason or another. I probably didn't need to bother anyway as I realised that part of the problem was a short on the coax feed. I spent all yesterday evening stripping down the wire, the coax, etc. re-wiring plugs and sockets, copious amounts of self-amalgamating tape over the connections, checking the continuity. All done and so everything working OK again well when I'd finished.

I am now over at my girlfriend's farm for a few days. I ran out the coax once again, everything repaired, and the wire showed a dead short once more. So tomorrow I will strip it all back down yet again again and do my best to make sure it's all done once and for all. The weather will try to do its best to stop me.

I also took delivery of a brand new 100 metre reel of satellite shotgun coax and got everything prepared to run out, replacing as much of the old coax as possible.

Moving on to today (Friday) and another problem. The new shotgun coax is 100 metres long. It is possible to separate the two coax into two x 100 metre coax lengths. As good as this coax seems with it's thick copper braid and sturdy copper foil screen. when I start to pull apart the two coax cables (to make 2 x 100 metre cables) the the plastic covering just split open, revealing the inner braid and foil along the length. So I am having to use the coax as it is, both coax joined together. I just hope this remains waterproof for a few weeks. Admittedly, it's a temporary coax run until I can afford to buy 2 x 100 metre lengths of RG6 in time for the next season.

So, that's the state of play at the moment. Better luck this time, I hope.

As for the Perseus, time will tell. Something's not right. I can only hope it's nothing more serious that the antenna connection point inside. I haven't opened it to inspect the antenna connection and I don't really want to this at this point. I can't see that the problems I have had are solely poor antenna connections, but time will tell.

pnoelw

Post by pnoelw »

Well, as my father used to say when we were of an age to react to strong words but hadn't quite mastered spelling "S-H-One-T!" Which then became the family's word of choice for such situations - shonut! It seems like you've got your fair share of that at the moment. And it's not such a good weekend to be running around in the fields sorting out maybe-or-maybe-not connections.
Good luck!
Noel
Clacton-on-Sea

John Faulkner, Skegness
Site Owner

I've just re-typed part of my last post as it became a bit jumbled. Back to the beverage before the weather gets worse.

John Faulkner, Skegness
Site Owner

Sod's Law has taken over.

I got the new coax out, nicely concealed behind fences, then I found out that it was just a couple of metres short of reaching the wire/earth rod. :evil: So I attempted to create another length to bridge the gap and then found myself suffering from a migraine. Luckily I have a great way of stopping those evil things and, as long as I take some soluble co-codamol immediately, the resulting headache is completely eradicated, but it doesn't stop the visual disturbances. So, after my eyesight returned to normal I got straight back out into the field, just in the nick of time before it got dark. Oh no! This can't be happening ... a second migraine starts. I have never had two migraines within a couple of hours of each other before. Job abandoned.

Providing the weather isn't too vicious tomorrow, I will attempt the job again. I am going to need some luck here. This weekend could be a washout regarding DX. Oh well, worse things happen at sea.

Grr! :lol:

John Faulkner, Skegness
Site Owner

Spent most of yesterday afternoon getting the joins on the 250m coax feed water-tight. Connected my old beverage isolating/matching transformer and hooked up the wire. Amazingly, everything worked, resulting in the best setup so far here. Signal levels are huge but there is no obvious rear null. Oh well, Sod's Law says you can't have everything.

I am just starting to go through my overnight recordings and there is a lot to check. Mexico appears to be the dominant country but I am having to contend with a lot more Eurosplatter than usual. I don't think I've ever seen so many carriers on North American graveyard channels. I'll probably share a file or two when I get back home. The connection here is 1.5 MB download, but then I am in the middle of nowhere.

pnoelw

Post by pnoelw »

I'm sure it's a great relief that it's not the Persues at fault! And that you had a good weekend dxpedition.
Noel
Clacton-on-Sea

John Faulkner, Skegness
Site Owner

I am not so sure, Noel. There is something not quite right. Signal levels do seem low on the whole, particularly at home. When I hear the comments from other Perseus owners, I feel that there should be more gain.

I have been trying to gauge this by talking to other DXers, including one who had problems with his own Perseus. There was a 16dB loss of signal in his case. He commented that he had to turn the Jaguar Contrast setting almost to full for some frequencies in order to see carriers. His Perseus is still away for repair. When the Perseus was working properly he would back his Contrast down to 3 or 4 (out of 10). My own Perseus requires that Jaguar's Contrast is set to 10 - the maximum, or I miss carriers. That is with an unamplified flag, the same setup as his. The beverage has no problem with signal, however. I have to back the contrast down to 2 or 3.

If I remember, I must compare signal levels between the Perseus and the Elad FDM-S2 on medium wave when I return home tomorrow.

John Faulkner, Skegness
Site Owner

After doing a comparison between my FDM-S2 and Perseus I can report comparable signal levels across medium wave. This is a big relief. With a bit of luck, all the problems I had were just antenna faults.

Return to “SDRs”