Skywavesdx Yahoo group

General news about this forum
Julian Hardstone
Site Admin

Skywavesdx Yahoo group

Post by Julian Hardstone »

Some members including myself have been having difficulty seeing the Yahoo group. It's supposed to be viewable by the public but they suddenly stopped you viewing anything Yahoo unless you log in with with a new 'profile'. I tried the various options, one of which was to cancel my subscription. I tried to open a new subscription with the same result, plus the option to leave all groups, which I tried.

The result was that I lost my yahoo.co.uk mail account, which I use as a backup, so that was an inconvenience.

Today I got my usual digest of posts on the group which implies my account is still active so I tried again to log in, and I got another option, "Trouble logging in?". That allowed me to get a login security code by email and all came back to normal. It looks to me this was a temporary fault which has been corrected. Let's see if Jürgen can post again!

satnipper

Re: Skywavesdx Yahoo group

Post by satnipper »

Why on earth has it not moved to GroupsIO?

Jim (Bournemouth)

Post by Jim (Bournemouth) »

I did float that suggestion a few months ago.

I did see one reply that said that person would leave the group if it migrated to IO (as apparently Google has its tentacles all over IO, don't know anything about that personally) - can't remember who that was.
Overall I think a move to IO would be sensible, as Yahoo is simply not fit for purpose these days. Nose of the groups I am a member of left Yahoo for IO months ago.
Jim, Bournemouth, Dorset. IO90BR.

Elad FDM-S2, Perseus/FM+, Airspy HF+, SDRPlay, Funcube Dongle SDR Rx; 8-ele OP-DES for Band 2, 8-ele LFA 2m, 3 ele LFA for 6m, 20/15/10m dipole, VHF vertical

satnipper

Post by satnipper »

Who are the admins of the Skywaves Yahoo groups? Do they need help to migrate?

Andrew Webster,Wigan

Post by Andrew Webster,Wigan »

I have had login problems I did manage to login a month ago now can't login again now so won't loose any sleep over it :lol:

Andy
Receiving equipment: 1 Sony ST-SE920, 1 Sony ST-SE700 1 Denon TU-1500RD 2 crossed FM 5s rotatable, 1 homemade FM 3 horizontal beaming S/E, 1 vertical FM 3 fixed beaming at Ireland,2 element OIRT,2 element band 1.

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness »

I have had big problems with Yahoo recently. None of my posts would get through. Have given up with them. I promise you NOBODY has had more trouble with Yahoo than me.

Admins here are myself and Julian. Same on both Yahoo groups. (My free time is limited and I have taken the decision to ignore the Es season this year, though I have made a few recordings for future perusal. I am keeping an occasional eye out for double hop. MW has become my main thing.)

The original intention was to close Yahoo and migrate to this platform, which most people prefer. There were a few voices, probably no more than three or four, one of whom was extremely vocal, who demanded that the Yahoo group remain open as they did not favour the bulletin board system. A new .io group was created a year or two ago but interest in the Yahoo group has been dwindling ever since and so we did not feel the need to migrate.

Whatever we do will be wrong for some people. You can't please everybody. But we have to try to do our best. It was my personal hope that we would have only ONE group so as not to water down the information by spreading it across several different platforms, closing Yahoo.

Skywaves began as the British FM & TV Circle back in 1995 with its printed bulletin and this served its purpose very well for several years. The transition to becoming an online community was inevitable and time has shown that this was the best thing we could have done for fellow hobbyists, providing instant news and up-to-the-minute DX tips.

Return to “Announcements”