*** FORUM UPDATE ***

General news about this forum
John Faulkner, Skegness

*** FORUM UPDATE ***

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 27 Dec 2016 17:04

This forum will be updated shortly after 17:30 today.

It will take about 30 minutes maximum to do this. During this time, the site will be unavailable and will display various PHP error messages while the latest version is being installed.

Estimated completion time: 18:00 - 18:15.

Backup made at 17:10. NOTE: Any posts made after 17:10 may be lost.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sometime in the gap between December 25th and 31st, we will be conducting a forum software update to bring it up to date with the current PHP version as there are now a few incompatibilities. We updated the server PHP a few days ago. Since then, PHP scripting errors have been popping up here and there, more noticeably with private messages, post sorting and picture attachments.

I can't give a date or a time for the update at this stage, but I will update you on this in due course. here the moment I do. This will result in the forum being offline for about 20 - 30 minutes while the latest forum version is installed.

John Faulkner, Skegness

Re: *** FORUM UPDATE ***

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 27 Dec 2016 18:57

Well this is awkward!

We left our old hosting company because they refused to update their PHP version.

But it looks like we have moved to new hosts who have unfairly forced us to update to PHP v7. PHP v7 is not supported by phpBB. So we are screwed until they write a new board version!

You just could not make this up!

Unfortunately, this means that many features on this forum will not work until we can upgrade.

In the meantime, I will write to phpBB and see if they can offer any information on when a new version might be released.

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 29 Dec 2016 12:38

A new release of the forum software, designed to work with PHP v7, will be available from January 7th. We won't be installing it for a couple of weeks after that as it's usually best to allow these things to 'settle in' for a while first - bug fixes, etc. In the meantime, we will all have to put up with the oddities which have been plaguing the forum since we changed to PHP v7.

It's frustrating, but we are not the only ones to have had these problems. There are many others as you can imagine. Had 1and1 Internet given us the option to step up to the new PHP 5.6, we would have been fine. I am putting the blame on 1and1 as it does seem unfair that they have forced us to jump directly to PHP v7.

senderjaeger

Post by senderjaeger » 16 Jan 2017 22:39

Whenever I try to reply to a post by quoting it recently, I'm getting an error message "Your post contains too few characters". Furthermore I've noted that a few of my posts have been deleted (they are still there, but empty).

73, Matthias
QTH: near Hannover, Germany

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 16 Jan 2017 22:56

Hello Matthias.

It's all part of the same problem. These issues occurred the moment the servers on which the Skywaves forum is hosted were updated to PHP v7.

Funnily enough, I was talking to somebody this evening about a date for the next forum update. Obviously we want to get this done as soon as possible, but we estimate it will be done either on Sunday 22nd or on Sunday 29th.

Hope this helps.

senderjaeger

Post by senderjaeger » 16 Jan 2017 23:47

Thanks, John! I assumed it was part of those issues. Fortunately, posting works without quoting other posts at least as I've found out tonight. Fingers crossed that the issues will be solved with the upcoming update and thanks for your efforts.

73, Matthias
QTH: near Hannover, Germany

Return to “Announcements”