What has happened to the Dutch FM pirates?

All things pirate radio! MW, FM, 48 metres, etc.
John Faulkner, Skegness

What has happened to the Dutch FM pirates?

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 19 Feb 2015 11:01

When I moved to Skegness almost five years ago, I could have almost guaranteed hearing Dutch pirate stations on 96.5, 97.0 and 97.3, plus a few other frequencies, almost every day. These days I hardly hear any.

I also see that the http://geheimezender.com/Piraten_Streams.php website is looking quite thin lately too. Same for the pirate log at http://www.ontvangst.org/rapport/overzicht.php

Has there been a clamp down on the pirates?

Alex Cator

Re: What has happened to the Dutch FM pirates?

Post by Alex Cator » 19 Feb 2015 11:27

Maybe the Dutch authorities are trying to shut them down. They could cause interference to the legal stations. It is quite exciting to receive Dutch pirate stations, even though I'm not mad keen on the twiddly Dutch folk music they play, as the tunes sound like nursery rhymes. I prefer the music on the British pirates. I wonder how well Style Radio UK (Norwich pirate) gets into the Netherlands, or even the London pirates, when a bit of tropo is active. It is possible (not guaranteed) that in some parts of Holland, Slam FM from Roosendaal on 88.4 could get knocked out by Vision Radio UK via tropo, as Vision is the highest-powered pirate in London, running out near Cambridge under flat conditions, even though it reached Norfolk yesterday via tropo on the car radio.
Dutch pirates apparently use much more power than the British ones, as British ones mainly use between 10 watts and 4 kW. Dutch ones can use up to 100 kW, which is how much power the IJsselstein nationals use. One fantastic moment was when Andrew Webster received a Dutch pirate on 108 MHz called Woudster. I wonder if John Marsyla, Ruud Brand or 'fmdxklaas' have had any luck with UK pirates. 'Fmdxklaas' once got Kiss FM from Stoke Holy Cross via tropo, at his location in Lelystad (Flevoland), Netherlands, as can be seen on his YouTube channel. Also look out for his reception of Copt Oak and High Hunsley!
Home: Sony ST-SB920 (modified), Sony XDR-S10HDiP, Onkyo T-4970, Ford 5000 RDS, horizontal Triax FM3
Mobile: Ford Fiesta (Style, 2013) and Ford Focus (2012) car radios
Portable: Tecsun PL-390, Grundig G5 (2 x 110kHz), Etón G8

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 19 Feb 2015 11:42

Well, musical styles are one of those things we either love or hate. I think it's great to have a uniquely local style of music. I quite like the German Schlager style of music. Coming from somebody who is into very alternative styles this might sound odd. Some people even like Olly Mars and Bruno Murs, though I cannot, for the life of me, understand why. :lol: Throw in one more artist - Ed Sheeran, and you have ..... HEART! :roll:

The authorities must be clamping down, surely. I have heard that the Dutch pirates are so strong that they cause interference to stations across the border into Germany. Those websites I linked to look surprisingly empty. I wonder if the time of year has something to do with it, though I don't think that's the case.

Call my a hypocrite, but I love DXing pirates and NOT having to suffer them. Now that really is hypocritical. I was looking on 87.8 yesterday evening for Dutch tropo activity but all I could hear was that East Anglian pirate. Grrrr!

Alex Cator

Post by Alex Cator » 19 Feb 2015 12:06

Heart is a joke station. They imply 'more music variety' but why? They think that Rihanna followed by Taylor Swift is 'variety'? No, it isn't.
I hate Heart with a passion. The Peterborough (102.7) and Cambridge (103.0) editions ruin my continentals, particularly when I'm in the Thetford area, which means if I visit Thetford with continental tropo, I can only listen to certain stations, i.e. the clear channel continentals. It is even possible that 100.7 could be swamped by Heart West Midlands on occasions, as the band is that 'full of junk' just approx. 9 miles down a country lane, yet East Harling isn't too bad really.
Under many tropospheric occasions, German DXers have got Dutch pirates a lot of the time, particularly 'RadioFan09' (whatever his real name is, as that's his YouTube username) and the late Mathias Volta. The East Anglian pirate on 87.8 is 'Escape FM UK' from Essex, but the location within Essex is unknown. I got the station nicely on the A12 near Manningtree.
Home: Sony ST-SB920 (modified), Sony XDR-S10HDiP, Onkyo T-4970, Ford 5000 RDS, horizontal Triax FM3
Mobile: Ford Fiesta (Style, 2013) and Ford Focus (2012) car radios
Portable: Tecsun PL-390, Grundig G5 (2 x 110kHz), Etón G8

satnipper

Post by satnipper » 19 Feb 2015 12:14

There has been a massive clamp down with some big fines.

Stuart

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 19 Feb 2015 12:22

Thanks Stuart. Where was this reported?

satnipper

Post by satnipper » 19 Feb 2015 13:23

It's been fairly well reported in FR circles that the Dutch authorities launched (yet) another crackdown last year. For primary sources you'll need to do some googling in Dutch. Wizard (the authoritative source on MF Dutch pirates) alludes to the crackdown in his blog entry last September - http://mwfreeradio.blogspot.co.uk/2014/ ... times.html

Cheers

Stuart

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 19 Feb 2015 18:29

Thanks Stuart.

Andrew Webster,Wigan

Post by Andrew Webster,Wigan » 19 Feb 2015 20:26

John Faulkner wrote:Call my a hypocrite, but I love DXing pirates and NOT having to suffer them. Now that really is hypocritical. I was looking on 87.8 yesterday evening for Dutch tropo activity but all I could hear was that East Anglian pirate. Grrrr!
I am the same when a pirate fires up but most of the pirates around here seem to be part time.

MAR is the only regular pirate on Sundays and sometimes Saturdays on 87.5/105.0/107.9 but this is recent.
Stuart mentioned MAR was on 105.0 but at that time there was not a whiff of a signal here on 105.0 until recently.

Andy
Receiving equipment: 2 Sony ST-S311, 1 Sony ST-SE520, 1 Sony ST-SE700 2 crossed FM 5s rotatable, 1 homemade FM 3 horizontal beaming S/E, 1 vertical FM 3 fixed beaming at Ireland, 2 element band 1.

satnipper

Post by satnipper » 19 Feb 2015 21:26

When I'm up in the North West MAR is nearly always on 105.0 Saturday/Sunday audible in North Wirral and central 'Pool. Not strong though and goes by M53/M56 junction close to where that documentary "2 pints of lager and a packet of crisps" was filmed.

London pirates...I won't say anything.

Stuart

Romeo-Hotel

Post by Romeo-Hotel » 19 Oct 2016 12:28

reply on a one year old posting.

I am from the Netherlands, and yes, the regular FM station a slowly going under. The fines are high, up to 45.000 euro maximum. But the first time the fine is something like a 2500 euro.
The days are counted. There a few unmanned station, and we call it in Dutch, its a cat and mouse play with the Dutch authorities.
If there is one down, you can read it on Etherpiraten.com, in Dutch, but google can help you to translate.
I am also started 35 years ago on the FM (3 meter), than 60cm pirate band, and now on 35cm pirate band.
But anno 2016, you don't want to broadcast on fm anymore, the fines are to high.
www.radio-romeo-hotel.nl
867.20 Mhz | 873.00 Mhz | 1302.00 Mhz | 67.20 Mhz
DX station

Return to “Pirate Radio”