Hot 92.0, West Midlands

All things pirate radio! MW, FM, 48 metres, etc.
Tim Bucknall

Hot 92.0, West Midlands

Post by Tim Bucknall » 08 Sep 2018 15:23

I think the poor weather has flattened Llandonna and now i can hear this weakly, normally i 'm lucky to detect the carrier.
sadly the effect isn't working on 94.2

no other pirates around this saturday
Home:Burkhardt Reuter RDR54D1 SDR V.415,
+ CLP 5130 Log P ant

Mobile: Comm Radio CR-1 + Sharman Skyscan ant, Pira P275

KnobTwiddler

Re: Hot 92.0, West Midlands

Post by KnobTwiddler » 09 Sep 2018 00:47

Tim Bucknall wrote:
08 Sep 2018 15:23
no other pirates around this saturday
How I wish I could say that - OFCOM have been sitting on their arse here in London and doing SFA. It's sent out a message to a few pirates who have come back on the air that haven't been active for sometime... the whole f***ing band is a mess. :x
AirSpy HF+ SDR + Full-wave Loop for FM + Home-brew Mini Whip for LW/MW/HF or 9:1 Balun + Whip Aerial
Yamaha T-D500 Tuner For DAB - Alinco DX-R8 Comms Rx - Tecsun PL-880 & ICR-110
Yaesu FT-897D - Icom IC-2200H - Anytone AT-588 for 70Mhz

Tim Bucknall

Post by Tim Bucknall » 21 Sep 2018 19:04

Do ofcock work purely on complaints or do they cruise around all day df'ing pirates?

In the states the legal stations do the monitoring then the contact the FCC and say "station X is stealing our listeners"
+ CLP 5130 Log P ant

bristolpirates

Post by bristolpirates » 22 Sep 2018 07:28

It's more or less complaints driven these days. However, the bottom of the band is more heavily policed by Ofcom in recent times it seems. Nothing has been able to survive on 87.5 for a while at least.

Ofcom's budget was slashed this year, so they are even less likely to take something off if it's not causing interference.

I think the government is more concerned about things on the internet, than things on the radio now, but one of the things that will still get you taken off regularly seems to be having a political element to your output. Especially if you are re-broadcasting Mark 'The artist taxi driver', because of the amount of swearing in his rants.

In the states it's a bit different, a lot of the pirates there are still playing quite run of the mill types of music I guess (the exception being those in New York where the type of music and other output is quite different), they just play a better variety of it than the legal stations do, because all the legal stations have tiny playlists. Maybe then, you could claim that a pirate is stealing your listeners. However, that simply can't be true in the UK unless it's Rinse FM, or Flex, or one of the other Dance community stations in the UK that is making the complaint. Heart doesn't play drum and bass, dubstep, 90s two-step garage, dancehall reggae etc... They wouldn't ever have that kind of listener.

I certainly don't want to see pirate radio die, but I think that pirate radio in London is dropping in quality and that half the stations on don't need to be there any more. It's not the golden era, the kids don't listen so much, it's mostly adults who are listening. If they would team up and keep the output live most of the time, then it would be worthwhile, but so many stations are just running a playlist a lot of the time. Either pool your talent with somebody else to make one station, or switch off when you don't have more than an evenings worth of live programming. That would reduce the numbers a bit.

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 22 Sep 2018 10:35

I've been watching some of Mark's videos lately. I had no idea it was the same person as "The Artist Taxi Driver". Here he is being cut down to size by the bbc. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPpPc2E27aM They tried, anyway. No wonder our unbiased ( :lol: ) bbc want to get rid of him. It's freedom of speech, but not on a legal platform.

OK, pirates are illegal. Unfortunately, I'm a bit of a hypocrite when it comes to pirates. I like to DX them, but I don't want them on my doorstep.

As for stations such as Heart never playing dancehall reggae, if it became mainstream, which it was in the early 90s, we would be fed dancehall reggae by the main networks. Shabba!

I must do a pirate bandscan at some point. See if London pirates are still receivable here.

Tim Bucknall

Post by Tim Bucknall » 22 Sep 2018 11:51

good info, tnx BP
obviously the "stealing listeners" thing is a lie , i'm glad we don't have that rule over here (as far as i know)

my idea of hell would be a totally sterile band with no surprises, i love going to london and tuning the pirates
of course i sympathise with knob twiddler and his lack of dx channels
its getting like that with legal & CR stns in some areas of the midland and north, honestly
+ CLP 5130 Log P ant

bristolpirates

Post by bristolpirates » 22 Sep 2018 20:03

The band is very full here too. A lot of weak national stuff which can be overcome by DX, but a hell of a lot of copies of Heart/Capital which can be stronger.

Interesingly, a lot of the stuff I'd seen about pirates in the states was about rock stations or just stations that were mixing music and talk like regular stations might. Reading through the list on Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirate_ra ... ted_States - there does seem to be a bit more variety than I thought.

Tim Bucknall

Post by Tim Bucknall » 23 Sep 2018 09:43

maybe we can find someone in a big city like NY who will do us an sdr recording of FM and/or 1710 am
i'd also quite like to experiment with decoding FM subcarrier audio

years ago someone made me a recording of 6mhz US pirates which was interesting, sadly i don't still have it
+ CLP 5130 Log P ant

Return to “Pirate Radio”