I give up!!!

All things pirate radio! MW, FM, 48 metres, etc.
KnobTwiddler

I give up!!!

Post by KnobTwiddler » 28 Jul 2018 16:41

I have spent the morning taking down my Band 2 vertical and horizontal dipoles and full wave loop aerial, and just installing one of those crap halo aerial.

I decided to do this because I am fed up with all the pirates and congestion on the band, the only part of the band that was clear was 87.5 to 88.0 and I used to concentrate on this part of the band because of the lack of pirates.

For the last two weeks I have had a pirate on 87.8 called 'The Rock' clogging up the frequency and splattering over adjacent frequencies, so this was one less channel that I had for dx'ing on. Because of the congestion here in London, most people use their iPod transmitters in this part of the band and this has been a pain in the arse as I can receive about 4 of these bloody things from time to time on my HF+ SDR.

These mini transmitters often jam the channels with Indian music or people going through streams to broadcast to their Hi Fi or whatever. I am sure people using these things don't realise how far these signals can go even though they are only very low power. There was even one case where I heard a very personal conversation about finances and I'm sure that they didn't know that this was being broadcast over their iPod/iPhone Tx.

The other annoying thing is that on some occasions I have been fooled into thinking that I am getting some kind of Es propagation, this is due to body capacitance affecting these little transmitters which make the signals go up and down like you get when Es is around. I had a signal on 87.5 which going up and down just like Es and it sounded Polish, so I am doing a search for Polish stations on 87.5 and couldn't find anything that matched the audio, then on the SDR waterfall the signal jumped frequency from 87.5 to 87.6. So here I am wasting my time trying to identify a signal that I thought was Polish Es only to realise that it a bloody iPod Tx that someone had just changed frequency on, so I was a little peed off to say the least.

So I have now taken my good(ish) aerials down and put up a piece of crap, only to find that while I was doing so OFCOM had at last got off their arses and taken off several pirates including The Rock on 87.8. So now the bottom of the band is a lot clearer as are several other frequencies, but I now have a s**t aerial for dx'ing... and to add to the problem the community station Rinse FM has returned to the air on 106.8, so it's goodbye to my best frequency for receiving Rock Antenne Hamburg.. Now the storm clouds that were forecast are just arriving from the West here in London - oh well s**t happens! :(
AirSpy HF+ SDR + Full-wave Loop for FM + Home-brew Mini Whip for LW/MW/HF or 9:1 Balun + Whip Aerial
Yamaha T-D500 Tuner For DAB - Alinco DX-R8 Comms Rx - Tecsun PL-880 & ICR-110
Yaesu FT-897D - Icom IC-2200H - Anytone AT-588 for 70Mhz

satnipper

Re: I give up!!!

Post by satnipper » 29 Jul 2018 10:14

To do Band II dxing in London you need a Sony XDR-F1HD - preferably with the Konrad mod.

KnobTwiddler

Post by KnobTwiddler » 30 Jul 2018 04:06

satnipper wrote:
29 Jul 2018 10:14
To do Band II dxing in London you need a Sony XDR-F1HD - preferably with the Konrad mod.
I came back to Band 2 dx'ing after 30 years after I purchased the AirSpy HF+, it's excellent for dx'ing as it doesn't suffer from over loading and the selectivity and sensitivity is fantastic. I have heard a lot of good reports about the Sony XDR-F1HD but I don't know if it would be that much better than the HF+.

I often moan about the amount of pirates that I receive, but I also get 16 bloody Heart transmitters clogging up the band as well.
In my first post I mentioned the pirate 'The Rock' on 87.8 being taken off the air by OFCOM, but the damn thing is already back. Not only is it back but another pirate called HITZ UK has come back on the air tonight on 87.6, so for me it's pointless trying to do any dx'ing on Band 2 unless conditions are really enhanced.

In recent years the technical quality of the pirates has been very good, but there now appears to be a batch of transmitters with hums and distortion doing the rounds, there was also a pirate on 88.0 which was Pulse FM which had been taken off by OFCOM, but it came back on the air and the transmitter was jumping in frequency between 88.0 to 88.1 and 88.2 and then back to 88.0.

It would appear that these days OFCOM really only protect BBC stations as I have noticed that if a station comes up on a frequency 200 kHz away from any London BBC frequency then it will be targeted, as for other stations it would appear that nothing is done until someone complains about interference problems.
AirSpy HF+ SDR + Full-wave Loop for FM + Home-brew Mini Whip for LW/MW/HF or 9:1 Balun + Whip Aerial
Yamaha T-D500 Tuner For DAB - Alinco DX-R8 Comms Rx - Tecsun PL-880 & ICR-110
Yaesu FT-897D - Icom IC-2200H - Anytone AT-588 for 70Mhz

eastangliauk

Post by eastangliauk » 30 Jul 2018 15:53

Surprised they still bother as they cannot be that many listeners on FM now days as most people listen on smart phones or speakers.
Radios Tecsun PL398MP + PL-660 & JVC KD-G632 - Blaupunkt BPR-3 DAB+

Return to “Pirate Radio”