Hampshire pirate radio thread

All things pirate radio! MW, FM, 48 metres, etc.
sleeper77

Hampshire pirate radio thread

Post by sleeper77 » 19 Dec 2017 22:27

I am creating this thread seeing as there is more pirate radio activity for Hampshire these days than in the past. Here is what to watch out for...

87.6 SWR - most of the time it plays continuous mixes of house, 80s soul, electro & reggae dancehall. Presenter has been heard with the ID of "SWR" which I think means "Southampton West Radio", as he has mentioned places here based more on the west side. Only heard on weekends & maybe bank holidays. Signal coverage seems minimal, covering the west & maybe parts of north Southampton.

88.9 UK Bass - heard very randomly. Seems to broadcast 2 hours at a time. Also they sometimes relay fellow pirate Code South from the Brighton area. Heard on the east & west side of Southampton very clearly so they must have good strong transmitter. Has RDS of "UK BASS".

95.1 TooHotRadio.net
- seems to be from the Bournemouth area. They also have a website with the same stream as the FM transmitter. Mostly continuous mixes but live presenter also heard on air. Can be received outside the Dorset area on a good day with tropo.

87.9 Lush FM (inactive)
- was quite active in the past but has disappeared. Made a comeback a month or two ago but did not last long. Seems to be from the Portsmouth area. Station has RDS. Easy station to receive outside of Portsmouth area.

94.7 QBase (inactive?) - no idea if this station is still going on or not. Based in Portsmouth area. Had to travel to surrounding areas in Portsmouth for clear reception of this station.

Also we can include pirates from outside Hampshire that can be received here. For example, Code South from Brighton on 105.6 can be heard on a good tropo opening. UK Raw from London would come in too on 87.5 but that has not been heard for a while here.

I have received & captured recordings of these stations in the past. Check out my Youtube channel, Mad Radio DXer

Julian Hardstone
Site Admin

Re: Hampshire pirate radio thread

Post by Julian Hardstone » 19 Dec 2017 23:23

It's a dying art, but nice to see there's still a few.
About 9 years ago I did a Sussex bandscan inland from Brighton, and logged 12 pirates
http://ukradio.info/Skywaves/Keymer.txt

dxradiofan

Post by dxradiofan » 23 Dec 2017 18:04

Julian Hardstone wrote:
19 Dec 2017 23:23
It's a dying art, but nice to see there's still a few.
About 9 years ago I did a Sussex bandscan inland from Brighton, and logged 12 pirates
http://ukradio.info/Skywaves/Keymer.txt
I guess you were on a high spot devils dyke or ditching beacon etc ?! Only one pirate these days in Brighton code south on 105.5

Tim Bucknall

Post by Tim Bucknall » 04 Feb 2018 14:35

Thanks for sharing
Home:Burkhardt Reuter RDR54D1 SDR V.415,
+ CLP 5130 Log P ant

Mobile: Comm Radio CR-1 + Sharman Skyscan ant, Pira P275

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » 21 Mar 2018 17:55

Tim Bucknall wrote:
04 Feb 2018 14:35
Thanks for sharing
No problem Tim.

An observation I want to post.

87.9 Lush FM has been trying to get back on the air over the past month. Their broadcasts have been very random & they only play a mixtape with no voiceover. Most of the time when they were on air more regularly back then they had very few live shows. Yesterday I heard an empty carrier hovering between 87.7 to 87.9 but no idea if it was them or not, but I have heard this empty carrier in the past.

Tim Bucknall

Post by Tim Bucknall » 22 Apr 2018 14:58

Is swr still on 87.6 and would they play devotion by nomad on Saturday night?
I was at a good hilltop site last night during the lift
Home:Burkhardt Reuter RDR54D1 SDR V.415,
+ CLP 5130 Log P ant

Mobile: Comm Radio CR-1 + Sharman Skyscan ant, Pira P275

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » 25 Apr 2018 14:21

Yes, SWR still broadcasts on weekends & bank holidays. It is the only Hampshire pirate I know of still on air.

I have never heard this station play that song as they repeat a lot of stuff every week, but I would not put it past them as I have heard a lot of retro stuff from the 70s to the 90s.

Return to “Pirate Radio”