DAB software gives Transmitter identification Info

DAB - Digital Radio
daveB

DAB software gives Transmitter identification Info

Post by daveB » 16 Dec 2017 17:48

I never got DABPlayer working - so checked and tested some other packages.

qt-tab which is an update of sdr-j supports the rtl-dongle, sdrplay, and airspy. SDRPlay is the most sensitive - I have an RSP1.

If the DAB data includes geographical data - this will displayed - first in the command line terminal window and after that - the strongest station will appear at the bottom of the Technical data window - as decimal latitude and longitude. Which means you can check the transmitter location from DABList.

That is the good news. Bad news - the UK DAB stream doesn't carry the geographical data. But good news - the Dutch stations do!

QIRX - which was first released in May 2017 - and currently on ver 0.9.3 has the capability of displaying the TII data - but it is not part of the standard distribution - you have to e-mail the developer for the dabTII.dll and detail on how to modify the qirx.exe.config file. This software only supports the rtl-stick and isn't as sensitive as qt-tab.

Authors of both pieces of software have been very helpful - providing some updates and and links to test files.

Please note - according to the info received - the TII data is optional in the DAB stream and the geographical data is no longer part of the DAB standard. Hopefully the transmitter engineers will suffer inertia and leave things as they are. Some countries use TII (UK, POL, I, SUI, D and some Dutch). Some use lat/long - (NED, I, some German).

Apart from the TII information I would be interested if anyone would carry out a comparison between a good DAB receiver and the two software packages above and report how the sensitivity of the software receivers compare
SDRPlay, AirSpyMini, RTL dongles, SB920s, Yamaha TX930. 5 ele compact yagi on rotator at 18ft agl. FM5 facing east, FM5 facing south, FM3 facing NE, OIRT dipole, 3-ele Moxon vertical facing east.

daveB

Re: DAB software gives Transmitter identification Info

Post by daveB » 16 Dec 2017 22:12

Update: Version 0.9.4 has been released and comes with the dabTII.dll as standard
SDRPlay, AirSpyMini, RTL dongles, SB920s, Yamaha TX930. 5 ele compact yagi on rotator at 18ft agl. FM5 facing east, FM5 facing south, FM3 facing NE, OIRT dipole, 3-ele Moxon vertical facing east.

pe1etr

Post by pe1etr » 19 Dec 2017 08:22

daveB wrote:
16 Dec 2017 17:48
I never got DABPlayer working - so checked and tested some other packages.

qt-tab which is an update of sdr-j supports the rtl-dongle, sdrplay, and airspy. SDRPlay is the most sensitive - I have an RSP1.

If the DAB data includes geographical data - this will displayed - first in the command line terminal window and after that - the strongest station will appear at the bottom of the Technical data window - as decimal latitude and longitude. Which means you can check the transmitter location from DABList.

That is the good news. Bad news - the UK DAB stream doesn't carry the geographical data. But good news - the Dutch stations do!

QIRX - which was first released in May 2017 - and currently on ver 0.9.3 has the capability of displaying the TII data - but it is not part of the standard distribution - you have to e-mail the developer for the dabTII.dll and detail on how to modify the qirx.exe.config file. This software only supports the rtl-stick and isn't as sensitive as qt-tab.

Authors of both pieces of software have been very helpful - providing some updates and and links to test files.

Please note - according to the info received - the TII data is optional in the DAB stream and the geographical data is no longer part of the DAB standard. Hopefully the transmitter engineers will suffer inertia and leave things as they are. Some countries use TII (UK, POL, I, SUI, D and some Dutch). Some use lat/long - (NED, I, some German).

Apart from the TII information I would be interested if anyone would carry out a comparison between a good DAB receiver and the two software packages above and report how the sensitivity of the software receivers compare
It is Qt-DAB not qt-tab

Just downloaded it.

Peter

pe1etr

Post by pe1etr » 19 Dec 2017 12:53

Qt-DAB 0.999 ensemble info BBC National

BBC National DAB; ensembleId CE15; channel 12B; frequency 225648;

Aufio services
program name;country;serviceId;sub channel;start address;length (CU); bit rate;DAB/DAB+; prot level; code rate; language; program type

BBC Radio 1 ;United Kingdom;C221;1;0;96;128;DAB;UEP 3;3/5;English;Pop music;
BBC Radio 2 ;United Kingdom;C222;2;96;96;128;DAB;UEP 3;3/5;English;Pop music;
BBC Radio 3 ;United Kingdom;C223;3;192;140;192;DAB;UEP 3;3/5;English;Arts;
BBC Radio 4 ;United Kingdom;C224;4;332;96;128;DAB;UEP 3;3/5;English;Talk;
BBC Radio 5 Live;United Kingdom;C225;5;428;58;80;DAB;UEP 3;3/5;English;News;
BBC AsianNetwork;United Kingdom;C236;7;486;48;64;DAB;UEP 3;3/5;English;Talk;
BBC WorldService;United Kingdom;C238;9;534;48;64;DAB;UEP 3;3/5;English;Talk;
BBC Radio 1Xtra ;United Kingdom;C22A;10;582;96;128;DAB;UEP 3;3/5;English;Other music;
BBC Radio 6Music;United Kingdom;C22B;11;678;96;128;DAB;UEP 3;3/5;English;Rock music;
BBC Radio 4Extra;United Kingdom;C22C;12;774;58;80;DAB;UEP 3;3/5;English;Talk;

Data Services
program name;;serviceId;sub channel;start address;length (CU); bit rate; FEC; prot level; appType ; ;

BBC Guide (data);United Kingdom;E1C79E5E;62;832;24;32;0;EEP A 3;0;;;

Peter Wilson
Blackpool UK
Nooelec NESDR Mini 2/ included telescopic whip

daveB

Post by daveB » 19 Dec 2017 15:51

I keep mistyping that name! Actually there is now an even newer version 1.0. alpha

And with QIRX version 0.9.4 shows both the TI codes - as used by the UK, and where present - the geographic codes - which the Netherlands and Italy and some Germans stations use. To get the geographic codes you have to tick the box near the bottom of the Technical data window. I hoping for some tropo lift to test it out on live DX.

daveB

Post by daveB » 19 Dec 2017 16:25

The other bit of useful software is Spectrum Spy if you own an Airspy - you can set it 20 MHz or 50 MHz - or wider and see all the DAB Muxes that are present. Or use SDR# for 10 MHz - it is more sensitive. Currently I'm showing 10B, 10C and 10 D - 10B is below the threshold for detection.

This morning I had Suffolk on 10C - at lunch time Northampton - and now back to Suffolk - the TII info on qt-Dab telling me it is from Mendlesham - when I check the OFCOM database.

Return to “DAB”