New good DAB+ portable for DAB & FM DX?

DAB - Digital Radio
User avatar
Patrick73
Posts: 305
Joined: 22 Mar 2015 12:36
Location: french Alps, JN35am

Re: New good DAB+ portable for DAB & FM DX?

Post by Patrick73 » 29 Apr 2019 19:20

Hi Peter !

Thanks for the comments.

The display on the Sangean is not fine neither (black caracters / on a grey background , unless the orange display is lit). The audio quality does not seem very good though, but it's maybe because of the recording / encoding. The Sony radios (S40 / S41) sound pretty good, but I have no idea on their sensitivity vs these units.
The Blaukpunt also seems fine, but what about audio quality ?

Not that easy to make a choice !

EDIT : Peter, how would you rate FM performance of the E3 ?
Patrick
Main interests : NDB, MW & FM DX'ing
REU Editor http://www.classaxe.com/dx/ndb/reu

pe1etr
Posts: 1797
Joined: 07 Oct 2014 00:40
Location: Blackpool, UK

Re: New good DAB+ portable for DAB & FM DX?

Post by pe1etr » 30 Apr 2019 08:32

Patrick73 wrote:
29 Apr 2019 19:20
Hi Peter !

Thanks for the comments.

The display on the Sangean is not fine neither (black caracters / on a grey background , unless the orange display is lit). The audio quality does not seem very good though, but it's maybe because of the recording / encoding. The Sony radios (S40 / S41) sound pretty good, but I have no idea on their sensitivity vs these units.
The Blaukpunt also seems fine, but what about audio quality ?

Not that easy to make a choice !

EDIT : Peter, how would you rate FM performance of the E3 ?
Hello Patrick

You're welcome.

I have the Sony S40. The Pure Elan E3 is better than the S40.

The E3 is fairly good on FM, but my Blaupunkt mini HiFi has better FM selectivity. DAB might be better too, but the Blaupunkt is mains only so difficult to move around for best reception. The Blaupunkt mini hifi of course has better audio than the Elan E3.

The video you linked showng the Sangean 69+ versus the Elan E3 seems flawed, unless DAB uses H pol in that country? I thought everywhere in Europe uses V pol for DAB? (UK does).
The directivity of the Elan E3 is different to other radios on FM and might be more tolerant to H pol reception of DAB too?

Peter

Blackpool

RvdH60
Posts: 47
Joined: 21 Jun 2018 12:22
Location: Amsterdam

Re: New good DAB+ portable for DAB & FM DX?

Post by RvdH60 » 30 Apr 2019 10:54

Yesterday, I finally finished laying my portable radio egg! ;)
I decided to buy the XHDATA D808 as a little to have radio next to my bed.
I've been going through a lot of youtube video's to inform me on this radio's reception, usability etc. in comparision to other good portable radios.
This site also gave me a lot of info.
I am glad I have joined your little communion. I have learned so much already from you guys. Thanks!!

Anyway, should arrive by the end of this week.
So much looking forward to try it out.
Good Hunting,
René, Amsterdam

Onkyo T-4711 modified with 110Mhz filters, Nooelec RTL-SDR, Körner 9.2 (2019) (NE to SW), FM5 Wittenberg (W to NE)

User avatar
Patrick73
Posts: 305
Joined: 22 Mar 2015 12:36
Location: french Alps, JN35am

Re: New good DAB+ portable for DAB & FM DX?

Post by Patrick73 » 30 Apr 2019 12:35

Thanks again Peter,

Thus, the Sony is now out of the game !
I'm only looking for a portable radio, so I also cancel the Blaupunkt you mention. I did a search about the BPR-3 (recommanded by EastAnglia) but it looks like this one is only available from UK stores ; this mean expensive shipping and 1.16€ exchange rate ...

The author of the YT clip showing the Sangean 69+ versus the Elan E3 replied that DAB sensibility is about the same.
Patrick
Main interests : NDB, MW & FM DX'ing
REU Editor http://www.classaxe.com/dx/ndb/reu

pe1etr
Posts: 1797
Joined: 07 Oct 2014 00:40
Location: Blackpool, UK

Re: New good DAB+ portable for DAB & FM DX?

Post by pe1etr » 07 May 2019 18:36

Patrick,

Pity you are not in the UK. Sainsbury's supermarket is clearing the Blaupunkt BOR-3 for just £19 !!
I'm there now buying one before they all go.

I'll make a comparison with the Pure Elan E3.

Peter
Blackpool UK

User avatar
Patrick73
Posts: 305
Joined: 22 Mar 2015 12:36
Location: french Alps, JN35am

Re: New good DAB+ portable for DAB & FM DX?

Post by Patrick73 » 07 May 2019 19:59

£19 ? What a bargain ... :o
Lucky guy !
Patrick
Main interests : NDB, MW & FM DX'ing
REU Editor http://www.classaxe.com/dx/ndb/reu

User avatar
eastangliauk
Posts: 465
Joined: 09 Oct 2014 14:16
Location: Clacton On Sea
Contact:

Re: New good DAB+ portable for DAB & FM DX?

Post by eastangliauk » 07 May 2019 21:04

will be good to see the videos
Radios Tecsun PL398MP + PL-660 & JVC KD-G632 - Blaupunkt BPR-3 DAB+ pure one flow

pe1etr
Posts: 1797
Joined: 07 Oct 2014 00:40
Location: Blackpool, UK

Re: New good DAB+ portable for DAB & FM DX?

Post by pe1etr » 08 May 2019 07:59

eastangliauk wrote:
07 May 2019 21:04
will be good to see the videos
I saw them already.

User avatar
Patrick73
Posts: 305
Joined: 22 Mar 2015 12:36
Location: french Alps, JN35am

Re: New good DAB+ portable for DAB & FM DX?

Post by Patrick73 » 28 Aug 2019 10:29

pe1etr wrote:
30 Apr 2019 08:32
I have the Sony S40. The Pure Elan E3 is better than the S40.
Hi Peter,

Sorry to react with a lot of delay to this comment !
I came across one of your videos (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb1IKITJPVE) in which you mention at 0:40 that the 12D ensemble is not audible using the Pure Elan E3 though you have a nice signal with the Sony S40.

This actually contradicts the comment that the E3 is better ... Could you please elaborate on that ? I am in a region where reception is difficult, and my first choice criterion is sensitivity. Thanks a lot !
Patrick
Main interests : NDB, MW & FM DX'ing
REU Editor http://www.classaxe.com/dx/ndb/reu

pe1etr
Posts: 1797
Joined: 07 Oct 2014 00:40
Location: Blackpool, UK

Re: New good DAB+ portable for DAB & FM DX?

Post by pe1etr » 28 Aug 2019 10:45

Patrick73 wrote:
28 Aug 2019 10:29
pe1etr wrote:
30 Apr 2019 08:32
I have the Sony S40. The Pure Elan E3 is better than the S40.
Hi Peter,

Sorry to react with a lot of delay to this comment !
I came across one of your videos (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb1IKITJPVE) in which you mention at 0:40 that the 12D ensemble is not audible using the Pure Elan E3 though you have a nice signal with the Sony S40.

This actually contradicts the comment that the E3 is better ... Could you please elaborate on that ? I am in a region where reception is difficult, and my first choice criterion is sensitivity. Thanks a lot !
Hello Patrick,

I said the Elan E3 is better on FM than the S40. That is what you asked me.
The Elan E3 is more user-friendly than the S40 and it has a better display, but it is marginally less sensitive on DAB than the S40.

I think that the Sangean DAB radios would be better for your needs, but they are expensive in the UK, so I can't afford to buy one to make a comparison.

Peter

User avatar
Patrick73
Posts: 305
Joined: 22 Mar 2015 12:36
Location: french Alps, JN35am

Re: New good DAB+ portable for DAB & FM DX?

Post by Patrick73 » 28 Aug 2019 17:12

pe1etr wrote:
28 Aug 2019 10:45
I said the Elan E3 is better on FM than the S40. That is what you asked me.
The Elan E3 is more user-friendly than the S40 and it has a better display, but it is marginally less sensitive on DAB than the S40.

I think that the Sangean DAB radios would be better for your needs, but they are expensive in the UK, so I can't afford to buy one to make a comparison.

Peter
Sorry for the confusion Peter. I was actually talking about DAB performance. Next time, I'll re-read my message before I publish :shock:
One should also maybe consider the Roberts Play. "a2c39a" wrote in its Feb 2017 review : I highly recommend it as the best portable radio available for DAB DXing.
But it seems there are several 'Play' units : Play M3 / M4 / M5, Play 10, Play 'without any mention'.
Which one does this review refers to ? No idea.
Patrick
Main interests : NDB, MW & FM DX'ing
REU Editor http://www.classaxe.com/dx/ndb/reu

pe1etr
Posts: 1797
Joined: 07 Oct 2014 00:40
Location: Blackpool, UK

Re: New good DAB+ portable for DAB & FM DX?

Post by pe1etr » 28 Aug 2019 17:53

Patrick73 wrote:
28 Aug 2019 17:12
pe1etr wrote:
28 Aug 2019 10:45
I said the Elan E3 is better on FM than the S40. That is what you asked me.
The Elan E3 is more user-friendly than the S40 and it has a better display, but it is marginally less sensitive on DAB than the S40.

I think that the Sangean DAB radios would be better for your needs, but they are expensive in the UK, so I can't afford to buy one to make a comparison.

Peter
Sorry for the confusion Peter. I was actually talking about DAB performance. Next time, I'll re-read my message before I publish :shock:
One should also maybe consider the Roberts Play. "a2c39a" wrote in its Feb 2017 review : I highly recommend it as the best portable radio available for DAB DXing.
But it seems there are several 'Play' units : Play M3 / M4 / M5, Play 10, Play 'without any mention'.
Which one does this review refers to ? No idea.
Roberts sell re-badged Sangean radios in the UK, hence it is difficult and expensive to find Sangean radios here.

The Roberts Play (now discontinued), without a model number is the correct one. It is a re-badged Sangean DPR-67.
https://www.sangean.eu/products/product.asp?l=2&cid=4&mid=150

The DPR-65, DPR-67 & DPR-69+ are very similar.
Peter

User avatar
Patrick73
Posts: 305
Joined: 22 Mar 2015 12:36
Location: french Alps, JN35am

Re: New good DAB+ portable for DAB & FM DX?

Post by Patrick73 » 28 Aug 2019 18:51

I wasn't aware that the 'Play' was discontinued.
I also didn't know that this Roberts was actually a re-badged Sangean ; that's one less competitor on the list !

I 'm trying to find a serious review of the latest Sony (S61) but there are only purely commercial comments. It could offer better audio quality, but I'm afraid it's at the expense of sensitivity. As for the Pure Elan E3, it seems to be quite close to the DPR, with a slighly better audio according to some clips I found on Youtube.
Patrick
Main interests : NDB, MW & FM DX'ing
REU Editor http://www.classaxe.com/dx/ndb/reu

pe1etr
Posts: 1797
Joined: 07 Oct 2014 00:40
Location: Blackpool, UK

Re: New good DAB+ portable for DAB & FM DX?

Post by pe1etr » 28 Aug 2019 19:46

Patrick73 wrote:
28 Aug 2019 18:51
I wasn't aware that the 'Play' was discontinued.
I also didn't know that this Roberts was actually a re-badged Sangean ; that's one less competitor on the list !

I 'm trying to find a serious review of the latest Sony (S61) but there are only purely commercial comments. It could offer better audio quality, but I'm afraid it's at the expense of sensitivity. As for the Pure Elan E3, it seems to be quite close to the DPR, with a slighly better audio according to some clips I found on Youtube.
Don't believe everything you see on YouTube. Some footballers look brilliant on YT, but when my team signs them they are not.

User avatar
Patrick73
Posts: 305
Joined: 22 Mar 2015 12:36
Location: french Alps, JN35am

Re: New good DAB+ portable for DAB & FM DX?

Post by Patrick73 » 28 Aug 2019 19:54

pe1etr wrote:
28 Aug 2019 19:46
Don't believe everything you see on YouTube. Some footballers look brilliant on YT, but when my team signs them they are not.
Excellent :lol:
But when you hear the audio from 2 radios, placed side by side, and recorded with the same camera / phone ... Of course, I can be wrong !
Patrick
Main interests : NDB, MW & FM DX'ing
REU Editor http://www.classaxe.com/dx/ndb/reu

pe1etr
Posts: 1797
Joined: 07 Oct 2014 00:40
Location: Blackpool, UK

Re: New good DAB+ portable for DAB & FM DX?

Post by pe1etr » 28 Aug 2019 20:15

Patrick73 wrote:
28 Aug 2019 19:54
pe1etr wrote:
28 Aug 2019 19:46
Don't believe everything you see on YouTube. Some footballers look brilliant on YT, but when my team signs them they are not.
Excellent :lol:
But when you hear the audio from 2 radios, placed side by side, and recorded with the same camera / phone ... Of course, I can be wrong !
I thought you want a portable DX machine?
It is probably strong local signals featured in the YT videos you saw.

Peter

User avatar
Patrick73
Posts: 305
Joined: 22 Mar 2015 12:36
Location: french Alps, JN35am

Re: New good DAB+ portable for DAB & FM DX?

Post by Patrick73 » 28 Aug 2019 20:37

Yep, I'm indeed looking for a portable radio.
Even if reception from the Sangean is *very* unstable, it seems to me that the audio of the Pure is better (less flat) ; but that's a matter of taste, your advice could differ !

EDIT : I forgot the link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtP7pDC1K4c
Patrick
Main interests : NDB, MW & FM DX'ing
REU Editor http://www.classaxe.com/dx/ndb/reu

User avatar
Patrick73
Posts: 305
Joined: 22 Mar 2015 12:36
Location: french Alps, JN35am

Re: New good DAB+ portable for DAB & FM DX?

Post by Patrick73 » 14 Sep 2019 11:37

I finally ordered a Pure Elan E3.
First inconvenience when opening the package : no continental adapter supplied along with the power supply (only the UK one). Following Peter's 'unboxing" clip, I thought this accessory was included with the device ... This is not very important, but it indicates a lack of seriousness on the part of the seller.

Otherwise, radio is quite sensitive but not selective in FM (a Tecsun PL310/380 is far better). The ergonomics are good and the audio is OK. Fine display, rich menu. For less than 50 euros, it is a correct product.
Patrick
Main interests : NDB, MW & FM DX'ing
REU Editor http://www.classaxe.com/dx/ndb/reu

Post Reply

Return to “DAB”