New good DAB+ portable for DAB & FM DX?

DAB - Digital Radio
eastangliauk

New good DAB+ portable for DAB & FM DX?

Post by eastangliauk » 15 Dec 2016 13:54

any recommendations at all as looking for a new DAB radio?
I have around £100 to spend.
would not mind having stereo to.
how is this
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/audio-and- ... 6-pdt.html
only thing I do not like are the 6XD battery's I may get rechargeable ones or this radio

Pure

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Portab ... dab+stereo

or this one
https://www.amazon.co.uk/VQ-Hepburn-Dig ... b_title_ce
Radios Tecsun PL398MP + PL-600 & JVC KD-G632 - Blaupunkt BPR-3 DAB+ & Pure Evoke Flow

John Faulkner, Skegness

Re: New good DAB+ portable for DAB & FM DX?

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 15 Dec 2016 15:43

I have a Roberts Stream 83i which is excellent on DAB with an external antenna. I can't offer any comparisons, so I am not able to say if it ranks highly against other DAB receivers, but I have received a lot of continental on it, including French DAB which surprised me. Dutch, Norwegian and Danish DAB has been possible during tropos.

It's stereo and has a sub-bass speaker. Not that it actually delivers sub-bass, but it enhances the bass a little. Quite a nice audio on the whole.

This has internet radio too, which is one of the reasons I bought it.

Also FM is included, which is not half bad. It receives a lot of its own internal circuitry noise when using the whip, so don't expect miracles. But on an external antenna, it's pretty sensitive. It does not have narrow bandwidth facilities, but it's still moderately selective for a portable.

Actually, the use of the word "portable" is not strictly accurate. There are no batteries, so you would have to make some kind of 12V power supply if using mobile.

I'm sure there must be better for mobile use, but this is a good home 'base' DAB receiver when used with an external antenna.

eastangliauk

Post by eastangliauk » 15 Dec 2016 19:43

ok looks like you can not buy it but do see the Roberts Radios STREAM93I but at over £130 though will have wifi just a shame its not very portable.
Radios Tecsun PL398MP + PL-600 & JVC KD-G632 - Blaupunkt BPR-3 DAB+ & Pure Evoke Flow

eastangliauk

Post by eastangliauk » 15 Dec 2016 19:45

I have had 3 pure evoke flow radios and on all 3 the speaker has failed over the years also only seem to have audio from the stereo out all the other outputs are dead.
so not really want another.

KPC850

Post by KPC850 » 16 Dec 2016 09:32

FM functionality on Pure Evoke C-D6 DAB/FM/CD Bluetooth (a larger and more expensive set than the OP is looking for I know, but maybe someone with influence could feed these comments back to the manufacturer?) :

Recently trying out the FM reception of a Pure Evoke C-D6, I was immediately irked to find the radio mutes for about 2 seconds when changing FM presets stations. Now 'pull the other one' that this long 2 second muting when changing preset station is technically necessary with analogue FM reception?
I can only assume that, whilst there genuinely has to be such a pause when changing digital stations, do the designers feel that this has to be also (unnecessarily) imposed on analogue FM reception too so as to eliminate one of the advantages of analogue over DAB (faster station changing) ? Or is it just lazy design?

Manual FM tuning, of importance for us DXers: frequency could be selected by rotary control as well as << and >> buttons, however unfortunately the receiver is muted during tuning, and again about a 2 seconds delay before audio is heard after a frequency is selected
I can't imagine DXers would be too happy with a 2 second long mute after changing FM frequency or pre-set !
I cannot comment on FM (or DAB) sensitivity, as I tried it out within a building with high levels of interference etc.
Aerial is telescopic.

Its also annoying the manufacturer doesn't make it easy to switch to mono FM reception (as you might do especially during speech programmes if a stereo reception suffers from noise/hiss due to nearby interference etc)
To change between Stereo or Mono reception: 1. Press the Menu button. 2. Turn and press the Select dial or use the <Select> buttons on the remote control to choose 'FM Menu'. 3. Turn and press the Select dial or use the <Select> buttons on the remote control to choose 'Audio Setting'. 4. Turn and press the Select dial or use the <Select> buttons on the remote control to choose between 'Stereo Allowed' or 'Forced Mono' reception.
Now the STOP button on this set has no function when in FM radio mode, the manufactuer could easily have assigned it an additional way to switch between FM stereo/mono without going into the menu.

eastangliauk

Post by eastangliauk » 02 Jan 2017 18:53

in the end I got this one was £40 but there no info what so ever about it
http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/gro ... 29550581-p
but it takes aa battery's so can use it anywhere.

Julian Hardstone
Site Admin

Post by Julian Hardstone » 02 Jan 2017 20:25

Looks nice, but you will soon find out if it is practical to run it off batteries. With luck it will run on rechargeables, but many won't.

Having a few spare moments over Christmas I started a webspace for DAB radios, so it would be nice if you or anyone else would contribute some more models to the few I started with:

http://www.45spaces.com/dab-and-hd-radios-0/

eastangliauk

Post by eastangliauk » 02 Jan 2017 21:04

can see its getting more signal hear which is nice
https://www.flickr.com/photos/30539771@ ... en-public/

connecting the line out to my big amp sounds nice to some times you get no bass at all.

eastangliauk

Post by eastangliauk » 03 Jan 2017 16:55

FM signal seems very good Funky 103.7 is hard to get here.
in my room there is 0 FM signal apart from dream 100.2 go to the other room and its better though.
DAB is better in my room as not as much buzzing but most the signal comes from the other side.
my rechargeable ones are not going any more they were on all night but are still flat think I need some more bundles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCYmOId9zaA

dxradiofan

Post by dxradiofan » 10 Jan 2017 18:44

What is better is a good sensitive portable with an external antenna connection unfortunately not such a radio seems to exist :(

Alex Lawler

Post by Alex Lawler » 29 Jan 2017 19:56

I've just ordered the Sangean dpr 69. I'm quite excited to see how it will perform especially with weak enhancements. It should keep me occupied anyway. I just wish SpE reception reached band 3.
Icom 2730e
Roberts 93i
Sangean Dpr 69
Grundig G5

pe1etr

Post by pe1etr » 29 Jan 2017 21:27

Alex Lawler wrote:
29 Jan 2017 19:56
I've just ordered the Sangean dpr 69. I'm quite excited to see how it will perform especially with weak enhancements. It should keep me occupied anyway. I just wish SpE reception reached band 3.
SpE does reach band 3 but not very often. A snag is there aren't many txers on the lower part of band 3.

TVDX was occasionally received in band 3 ,on the higher band 3 freqs but not often.

Peter Blackpool

Alex Lawler

Post by Alex Lawler » 29 Jan 2017 22:39

Well that's encouraging. If the MUF reaches band 3 this season and I'm around it could be very interesting. Let's hope!! I've never seen band 3 TV. I live in Norfolk and when I got into dxing all that was left was a Tx in Eire. Unfortunately I think that switched off in 2013. That was in theory a potential dx candidate via tropo or a very small SpE hop.
Icom 2730e
Roberts 93i
Sangean Dpr 69
Grundig G5

Patrick73

Post by Patrick73 » 30 Jan 2017 19:34

I own the very small SONY XDR-P1DBP, but I can't comment yet on its DAB capabilities (no DAB in my area). But, on some occasions, I was able to receive swiss stations, 100 km+ from my home location, despite high mountains surrounding my village (on its short telescopic whip), so I guess it's quite sensitive.

On FM, it's fine but a bit less sensitive compared to my Tecsun PL-380.
Good point : though it's very tiny, audio is excellent (better than the bigger Tecsun).

I also own a Roberts Stream 93i ( for a few days only), but haven't tried DAB so far. How would you rate its sensitivity ? (on FM, it's fair/poor)
Patrick
Main interests : NDB, MW & FM DX'ing
REU Editor http://www.classaxe.com/dx/ndb/reu

Alex Lawler

Post by Alex Lawler » 30 Jan 2017 20:00

Sensitivity on the i93 is very impressive. I use it as a bedside radio and it has pulled in dx from the Netherlands and Germany just on the telescopic aerial. You can attach and external aerial to it.
Icom 2730e
Roberts 93i
Sangean Dpr 69
Grundig G5

Patrick73

Post by Patrick73 » 30 Jan 2017 21:40

Is there a socket for attaching an external antenna Alex ? I haven't noticed it.
So it seems Roberts has placed DAB ahead of FM (with regards to sensitivity). I will run an A/B test vs the SONY XDR-P1DBP in the coming days.
Patrick

Alex Lawler

Post by Alex Lawler » 31 Jan 2017 05:51

If you look at the back of the unit where the telescopic antenna begins you can remove the black cover. You then need a pair of thin and long pliers or something like that and twist off the telescopic aerial connection. That leaves you with the connection port from which you can connect an external aerial. It's the same principle with the i83 which if you Google will show you more clearly how to do it. Hope this helps!
Icom 2730e
Roberts 93i
Sangean Dpr 69
Grundig G5

Patrick73

Post by Patrick73 » 31 Jan 2017 19:32

Thanks for the tip Alex ! Will have a close look at it ;-)
Patrick

Patrick73

Post by Patrick73 » 02 Feb 2017 13:23

As agreed, I ran a quick A/B test : Roberts Stream 93i vs Sony XDR-P1DBP, tuned to 12A multiplex from La Dole (near Geneve, Switzerland), not that easy to receive from my location because of the terrain.

Alex stated "Sensitivity on the i93 is very impressive", but the tiny Sony is at least as sensitive.
I was unable to compare signal strength objectively because these radios does not use the same scale but assuming there's a single place where this multiplex is audible at home, the test was quite easy to run !

So, if you're looking for a tiny and senstitive DAB/DAB+ radio, go for this Sony ;-)
Patrick

eastangliauk

Post by eastangliauk » 05 Feb 2017 11:38

I have now got a chance to try a roberts Concerto 2 DAB radio with tape & CD even has Sd seen others on youtube like this are very poor but this ones a roberts so is a quality make they are only asking £10 for it.

Return to “DAB”