Technisat 215

DAB - Digital Radio
Patrick73

Re: Technisat 215

Post by Patrick73 »

The one I linked to does DAB+, so we can assume that it's the same model as the one available in Germany ; but indeed, nothing is clearly indicated in the technical description.
Patrick
Main interests : NDB, MW & FM DX'ing
REU Editor http://www.classaxe.com/dx/ndb/reu
Alex Lawler

Post by Alex Lawler »

Hopefully PMF907 will read this and clarify the chip or at least how to find out. Even if it has the chip I hope it can at least keep up with the Sangean 69 or surpass it. I'm very tempted to order it.
CC Crane 2e (MW)
CC Crane EP Pro (FM)
Roberts solarDAB2 (DAB)
Pure Elan Connect DAB+ (Internet)
PFM907

Post by PFM907 »

all SolarDAB2 (!) do DAB+. it is the SolarDAB (1) that does exist in a DAB (without Plus) version. but it looks completely different.

however, there are different SolarDAB2 - series.

the early ones have a Venice7 module (mine radio is colored black) and the newer ones have the excelletn Verona(1) module.

the difference from the outside: the older radios with the Venice 7 do have a "DAB DigitalAudioBroadcasting" logo above the display, plus a RDS logo right of the display.

the newer ones with Verona module do not have any of those logos on the fron.

2 pictrues attached, the black one is the older version (with Vernice7) and the white one shows the more recent one.
bwt. all "Roberts SolarDAB2 " are manufactured by Sangean. ;)

firmware of the (better) Verona module must be

dab.mmi-FS2052-0000-0419_V4.3.17.EX28274-1B8

in the menue "SW Version"
Attachments
Veronca1.jpg
Venice7.jpg
Alex Lawler

Post by Alex Lawler »

Thanks for the info. I've just ordered the black one on the basis it will be white with the FS2052 chip. Sounds crazy but like you said it's a risk. I will return it if it is the Venice one.
CC Crane 2e (MW)
CC Crane EP Pro (FM)
Roberts solarDAB2 (DAB)
Patrick73

Post by Patrick73 »

The one currently price 85 euros in France has the RDS logo but not "DAB DigitalAudioBroadcasting" above the display ...
But I assume the pic is not the real one of the unit they sell, it can simply be an illustrative photo.
Patrick
PFM907

Post by PFM907 »

good luck while ordering and I hope you will be satisfied.

I have been receiving UK and french multiplexes with this, plus lots of Norway during the last couple days.

my best catches were 11B Nordjylland, 8C Limfjord and 12A Bornholm last weeks.
Alex Lawler

Post by Alex Lawler »

Thanks. You've had some impressive dx. When I bought last night there were 5 left. Checking today only 2. I think these radio's are about to be discontinued. Edit, only one left now. Did you go for it Patrick?
CC Crane 2e (MW)
CC Crane EP Pro (FM)
Roberts solarDAB2 (DAB)
PFM907

Post by PFM907 »

it seems the SolarDAB2 is not to be produced any longer and will be run out of stock very shortly.

it is NOT listed any more on the official page:
https://www.robertsradio.com/de-de/alle-produkte

even the manual is not online any longer:
https://www.robertsradio.com/de-de/asse ... arDAB2.pdf

the inside should be identical to the DPR, but the outside varies and the SolarDAB has more bass.

in the UK, it is "unavailable"

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Roberts-DAB-Di ... B003NVSGVI

here are 2 left (40 euros reduced)

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0056S ... B0056S2VFS
Patrick73

Post by Patrick73 »

Both the german and the french units show the RDS logo on the picture ...
I just sent Cdiscount.fr a message to ask if the unit they sell actually has this logo
Patrick
PFM907

Post by PFM907 »

pictures are old, from former press releases. the hardware has been modified slightly since then and it turned out that newer versions who have the Verona modul inside do neither have the RDS logo nor the old continental DAB logo. in Europe we now used the dab+ Logo

maybe this can be a hint when your package arrives. the pictures in the articles description can not give a certain guarantee about how old the radio is and which version they have.
Alex Lawler

Post by Alex Lawler »

Despite ordering black and the picture showed logo's my radio arrived in white with no logo's and the Verona chip. So I was pleased with that. I contacted Roberts over the weekend and they said the Venice chip was discontinued in 2014 so the chances of receiving an old version was unlikely.

In regards to performance unfortunately my unit is not as sensitive as the DPR 69 or the Technisat 215 for that matter. For example Suffolk 10C which IDs and plays audio on the Technisat and to a greater extent on the 69 only shows one to two blocks and struggles to ID nevermind play audio on the Roberts. The whip antenna is also much shorter than the other two radio's mentioned. Despite that it's a nice looking and sounding radio. Thanks PMF907 for your advice.
CC Crane 2e (MW)
CC Crane EP Pro (FM)
Roberts solarDAB2 (DAB)
Patrick73

Post by Patrick73 »

That's interesting Alex.
Considering that, according to some videos seen on YouTube (for example : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW_BWPe72nY), the DPR69 is globally equivalent to the Pure E3 that I already own, I'm not sure it's actually relevant to replace it with another model that wouldn't bring any significant improvement.
Patrick
Alex Lawler

Post by Alex Lawler »

That's an interesting video. I've had so much dx in England using the 69 from Norway down to France and every country in between. However that video shows a different story. I'm going to retest the solar dab2 when I get a chance but it was definitely the least sensitive of the 3 radio's. However I'm basing this alot on it's disappointing reception of the semi local Suffolk 10C that the others brought in at much stronger levels and more consistently.
CC Crane 2e (MW)
CC Crane EP Pro (FM)
Roberts solarDAB2 (DAB)
PFM907

Post by PFM907 »

Alex Lawler wrote: 13 Sep 2021 21:43 In regards to performance unfortunately my unit is not as sensitive as the DPR 69
very sad to hear this. I am surprised to see that the performance of the SolarDAB2 with Verona modul is that unsatisfying and I can understand you are disappointed.

did you check menu - "SW version" is it 100% identical to mine? what S/N do you have got (silver label in the battery case), would you mind telling me?

I wonder that the DRP is so much more intense, as the SolarDAB2 has the same software, it is a Sangean in fact (manufactured for Robertsradio).

you might want to change the antenna, on the bottom of the device there is one single screw labelled "ANT" where you can easily remove the whole antenna and replace it by another, longer one.

I hope you might improve the results.

plus: if you come near to strong local stations, pls. keep in mind you need >20 sec. some times to "lock" the SolarDAB2 on the frequency until the signal bars are visible in the display , if there is a strong multiplex next to it...
Alex Lawler

Post by Alex Lawler »

Only just back from work so I'll check tomorrow and let you know about what's inside the battery case. I did check the software and it says fs2052. I'll do more tests tomorrow. However it is a nice radio. I may well opt for a longer antenna.
CC Crane 2e (MW)
CC Crane EP Pro (FM)
Roberts solarDAB2 (DAB)
Alex Lawler

Post by Alex Lawler »

Dab mmi fs2052 0000 0419 v 4 3
17 ex28274 1B8

So it is the same as yours. I've tested again this evening and whilst it cannot hold stable audio like the Technisat on 10C and infact does not register as high of a signal on it, it does pick up 11C with 1 bar that the Technisat cannot and it also IDs 12A where the Technisat cannot. All three channels are out out of area signals. It really is a dark art comparing DAB radios. I'm not really sure what to think other than the fact it's a nice user friendly dx radio with good sensitivity. On some channels it excels and on others (10C) lags slightly behind lesser radios. Still I'm pleased to have purchased it and I will use it for dx. I may go for a longer aerial in the future as you suggested if indeed it really will improve reception.
CC Crane 2e (MW)
CC Crane EP Pro (FM)
Roberts solarDAB2 (DAB)
Alex Lawler

Post by Alex Lawler »

There's a potential that 10C has a birdie which is why it's reception dips on a weaker semi local. Don't let me put you off Patrick, it is a good radio and may just have unit to unit variability on certain channels.
CC Crane 2e (MW)
CC Crane EP Pro (FM)
Roberts solarDAB2 (DAB)

Return to “DAB”