1350 UNID "W---" Call

Post your unidentified DX loggings here
John Faulkner, Skegness

1350 UNID "W---" Call

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 24 Jan 2017 15:44

I wish I had more to go on. It's yet another call sign and little else. Heard at 0700 this morning.

https://youtu.be/ftCPsw6fk1Q

This was a 'talker'. i.e. 'serious discussion' as opposed to the usual sports talk from WOYK.

Offset is 1349.998.

Maybe somebody else heard this.

John Faulkner, Skegness

Re: 1350 UNID "W---" Call

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 25 Jan 2017 11:14

The general consensus is that this is WMMV, as commented by RealDX and by Matthias on my YouTube page. The question now is "Do I go with this and log it?"That signal is very weak and the audio is barely intelligible.

The facts seem to back this up, however, with the talk format and I think I hear 12-40 mentioned before the 13-50. If this is WMMV, the ID would be "12-40 and 13-50 WMMV/B. WMMB is their other station, simulcated on 1240.

When playing back the IDs in Jaguar, if you move the offsets around slightly you can get variable intelligibility of the audio. It's because the audio 'beats' with the actual frequency. This can sometimes have the effect of spoiling the audio, but repeated playing while moving the offset can help clarify things. When I first heard this ID, it immediately stood out as WMMV. Unfortunately, this recording does not show this.

There's nothing else on the frequency which sounds like WMMV, so I will probably log this but just stick 'presumed' in there.

Any further opinions welcome.

Edit: I just realised I haven't actually heard WOYK here yet! I assumed I had. It was the regular station up in Skye.

Another edit: I deleted this. Just not happy with that ID when I played back the recording. Paul C at RealDX think this sounds like WOYK. When I listened again, I could imagine it being WOYK. There is too much ambiguity for me now, so I've now assigned this to Radio Room 101. Thanks all for listening.

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » 25 Jan 2017 16:18

John,

WOYK is in almost daily, so it is a likely candidate.

Personally I will not log anything that I don't have at a reasonable level with a callsign or other info that indents it.

Yes Jaguar is great, but it takes a bit of driving to get the best out of it.

Alan

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 25 Jan 2017 20:13

Yes, I think so. The call was slightly ambiguous, though I am not sure if I was 'led' into thinking it was WOYK just because it was suggested. It seemed like a definite WMMV to begin with, then it got slightly 'woolly'. The slight ambiguity was enough to deter me.

Jaguar is amazing. It can be as simple or as complex as you like, though the word 'complex' is probably a little unfair. Jaguar does a LOT and what it does, it does extremely well. I would have missed so much had I not been using Jaguar. It just lets you see where the DX *is*, so you can ignore the bits where the DX *isn't*. A real time saver.

Rob J

Post by Rob J » 25 Jan 2017 22:59

John,

Does Jaguar need to have a Perseus to work with recorded files? Could it be used with WAV files created by other SDRs?
Rob.

SDRPlay & Wellbrook ALA1530LN loop antenna (outdoors)

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 26 Jan 2017 00:01

Hi Rob.

Jaguar is strictly for Perseus. It won't play files recorded with any other SDR.

Sorry.

Rob J

Post by Rob J » 26 Jan 2017 07:00

Ah, that's a shame. Thanks, John.
Rob.

SDRPlay & Wellbrook ALA1530LN loop antenna (outdoors)

Return to “Unidentified?”